Eyes On a PC Build

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
User avatar
Mantis
Admin
 
Posts: 26784
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:53 pm
Location: Nobody's Here

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby Mantis » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:14 am

200Mhz in what sense, as in you're mixing and matching sticks? You shouldn't really be putting different speed RAM in.

User avatar
Subway Diet
 
Posts: 12839
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:29 am
Location: Crush. Kill. Destroy. Swag.

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:35 am

I mean, is there a noticeable difference depending on the speed?
Sure, more is better, but is the jump from 1600Mhz to 1866Mhz and beyond worth it?
End of an Era

User avatar
NG
 
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:29 pm

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby NG » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:45 am


User avatar
Mantis
Admin
 
Posts: 26784
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:53 pm
Location: Nobody's Here

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby Mantis » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:30 am

I noticed a difference between 1600mhz and 1866 when I upgraded, but my card apparently needs 16GB to perform at maximum capacity though so I'm not sure how that skews things because I had 8GB prior to that. I will say though that the increased response time from certain games (we're talking like 5fps maximum here) was definitely noticeable once I'd gone into BIOs and set the XMP profile to run the memory at the higher clock.

arqueturus
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:27 pm

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby arqueturus » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:19 pm

I'm going to ask the burning question in my head - what resolution does he intend to play games at?

No one ever seems to ask this anymore. I just had to upgrade to a GTX970 because I bought a new 1440p monitor other than that I think that my previous GPU could have handled the big hitting games that were/are coming out.

User avatar
Subway Diet
 
Posts: 12839
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:29 am
Location: Crush. Kill. Destroy. Swag.

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:33 pm

arqueturus wrote:I'm going to ask the burning question in my head - what resolution does he intend to play games at?

No one ever seems to ask this anymore. I just had to upgrade to a GTX970 because I bought a new 1440p monitor other than that I think that my previous GPU could have handled the big hitting games that were/are coming out.
He'll be using a pretty bog standard 1080p monitor.

I've not been following the benchmarks, but I understand a 970 will run wild on most games at that resolution. :P

Also upped the RAM from 1600Mhz to 2133Mhz. Though that fella in the video seems to say it's not hugely important, but it's also on a tenner difference and faster anything is better, right?
Hmm. Maybe 16gb of the cheaper stuff would be a better option?
End of an Era

User avatar
Mantis
Admin
 
Posts: 26784
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:53 pm
Location: Nobody's Here

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby Mantis » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:06 pm

Any faster than 1886mhz and you're getting into overclocking territory where you're going to want to start boosting other components too, I believe. I'd probably stick with 1886 and try to get 16GB if you can, it'll be far more future proof as poorly optimised PC ports start demanding more and more memory. Look at the current state of Arkham Knight for example.

arqueturus
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:27 pm

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby arqueturus » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:32 pm

Subway Diet wrote:
arqueturus wrote:I'm going to ask the burning question in my head - what resolution does he intend to play games at?

No one ever seems to ask this anymore. I just had to upgrade to a GTX970 because I bought a new 1440p monitor other than that I think that my previous GPU could have handled the big hitting games that were/are coming out.
He'll be using a pretty bog standard 1080p monitor.

I've not been following the benchmarks, but I understand a 970 will run wild on most games at that resolution. :P

Also upped the RAM from 1600Mhz to 2133Mhz. Though that fella in the video seems to say it's not hugely important, but it's also on a tenner difference and faster anything is better, right?
Hmm. Maybe 16gb of the cheaper stuff would be a better option?


I think a 970 is pretty much overkill at 1080p but at least he should be guaranteed 60fps in everything with the capacity to go up to a better monitor when the time comes :)

User avatar
Subway Diet
 
Posts: 12839
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:29 am
Location: Crush. Kill. Destroy. Swag.

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:34 am

arqueturus wrote:I think a 970 is pretty much overkill at 1080p but at least he should be guaranteed 60fps in everything with the capacity to go up to a better monitor when the time comes :)
And that's the way things aught to be.

It's today or tomorrow that my brother is coming around to discuss the set up and make the purchase, so it's time to make any last moment alterations:

Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A160​0C10B 16GB (2x 8GB)
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
EVGA 500B 500W 80+ BRONZE PC Power Supply
ASRock Z97 Anniversary Motherboard
SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB
Intel Core i5 4690K Processor 3.5 GHz

For the usage of the system, he's not a hardcore gaming type. All he wants is a fast PC that he can run a handful of recent games on and not have to worry about tweaking all the option menus. As for the SSD space concerns, I'll talk to him about the pros and cons and see if he values the 40 or so seconds more it'd take to load into GTA V over having a crap load of storage space. :P

The case will be reused from his old PC, along with a bunch of old back-up internal and external HDDs. He also assures me that he's got a copy of Win 7 on hand.
End of an Era

User avatar
Subway Diet
 
Posts: 12839
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:29 am
Location: Crush. Kill. Destroy. Swag.

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:46 am

Well, he's just been over and the purchase has been made. Sure hope nobody had any pressing recommendations. :shock:

Depending on how drag-ass Amazon wants to be about it, I should be building by the weekend at least. Will update this thread if there's anything else worth saying.

Thanks again for the advice everyone. :)
End of an Era

arqueturus
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:27 pm

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby arqueturus » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Subway Diet wrote:
arqueturus wrote:I think a 970 is pretty much overkill at 1080p but at least he should be guaranteed 60fps in everything with the capacity to go up to a better monitor when the time comes :)
And that's the way things aught to be.

It's today or tomorrow that my brother is coming around to discuss the set up and make the purchase, so it's time to make any last moment alterations:

Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A160​0C10B 16GB (2x 8GB)
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
EVGA 500B 500W 80+ BRONZE PC Power Supply
ASRock Z97 Anniversary Motherboard
SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB
Intel Core i5 4690K Processor 3.5 GHz

For the usage of the system, he's not a hardcore gaming type. All he wants is a fast PC that he can run a handful of recent games on and not have to worry about tweaking all the option menus. As for the SSD space concerns, I'll talk to him about the pros and cons and see if he values the 40 or so seconds more it'd take to load into GTA V over having a crap load of storage space. :P

The case will be reused from his old PC, along with a bunch of old back-up internal and external HDDs. He also assures me that he's got a copy of Win 7 on hand.



The counterpoint to this being at the point that your brother decides he wants to get a higher res monitor he should be able to to buy a 970 for either much less money or something better than a 970 for the same money at the time. This is making the grand assumption that whatever he has now is still performant enough at 1080p.... :D

None of this matters like, hope he enjoys the new system.

User avatar
NG
 
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:29 pm

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby NG » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:03 pm

Did the get the graphics card from Scan for the free game or with Amazon?

User avatar
DjchunKfunK
 
Posts: 24146
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:52 pm

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:55 pm

NG wrote:Did the get the graphics card from Scan for the free game or with Amazon?


You get the same offer with Amazon.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

User avatar
NG
 
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:29 pm

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby NG » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:18 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
NG wrote:Did the get the graphics card from Scan for the free game or with Amazon?


You get the same offer with Amazon.


Ah ok, I didn't look properly on Amazon & thought this was Scan retail exclusive.

User avatar
Subway Diet
 
Posts: 12839
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:29 am
Location: Crush. Kill. Destroy. Swag.

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:27 pm

Not that I expect he'll use the codes. He checked out on Rainbow Six after Rouge Spear and could never get along with Assassin's Creed. :P
End of an Era

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest