Eyes On a PC Build

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Mantis
Admin

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby Mantis » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:19 pm

Put it in a savings account where you can't touch it if you wouldn't be able to stop yourself.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:22 pm

Whoa, let's not get carried away!
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:05 pm

So, there's something funny going on with my brothers PC. Should I make a new thread, or has this one already been tainted by my nonsense?

Will push on regardless!

He's telling me that it doesn't turn on. Pressing the power button does nothing. Made sure to ask if there were any sounds or smells, but it sounded unresponsive more than blown-up. So I made sure to drop everything and drive over to check things out.

Tried unplugging it and flipping the switch of the PSU a few times but it was still lifeless. Unplugged everything, set it up on a different wall socket with a different power cable and tried again. It was then that the system started making a ticking over sound. Annoyingly I didn't make note of what was making the noise. Turned it off at the PSU again, then back on and the power switch worked. After making sure the PC booted up properly and wasn't showing any errors, I set it back up under the desk and plugged everything back in. Tried turning it on again, no problem. That was on Wednesday.

On Friday, he tells me it's not turning on again. I talk him through the steps I took, and it appeared to work. Today I get a message that it's dead again and, last I heard, it wasn't coming back to life.

I've not been able to get through to check out the PC again due to weather and feelin' a bit rough, but I'm getting the sense that it's a PSU issue. Either a fault or not getting / giving enough power. I'm no electrical engineer, so I can't say if the problem is in the house wiring, if there's too much plugged into a power strip or some other damn thing.

The current plan is my brother has bought a new PSU (a 600W EVGA deal) and we'll try that out, then see about returning the potentially wonky 550W one.

Any thoughts? Trying to think if there's something I could be missing here. Why would a system go dead after being left off for a night? I've seen something like that happen to my PC some times if the rear cable had been removed for any length of time, but it usually starts working again after a minute or two.

Sorry if it's scatter brained and hard to read.
End of an Era

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:20 pm

I've also had a PC that worked perfectly and shut down normally one night then the next morning wouldn't even start up case fans etc., swapping in a new psu fixed it. The dud wasn't some cheapo thing either, £100+ BeQuiet Darkpower Pro.
Good luck with the new psu. :)
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:23 pm

Yeah I'd say it sounds PSU related. Good luck!
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

katarn

Postby katarn » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:29 pm

When you put your hand right behind the PSU fan at the back, can you feel the fan coming on each time you press the power button? It's pretty silent compared to the case fans so it's sometimes easy to miss.

If that PSU fan is coming on each time but the case fans/mobo aren't, it might possibly be the mobo. Possibly. But it probably is the PSU.

If you have a multimeter, it's pretty straightforward to test the PSU - there are some guides on google. It's what I did a month or so back and ended up getting a new mobo, which fixed the power problems I was having.

But if you're having periods where the PSU is definitely not even powering its own fan then get it returned on the warranty.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:12 am

Ticking sound? I can't recall if PSU's contain relay switches in them to handle the power loads. Could be that if they do and the PSU need replacing for sure.

Or is it like this

As that's the bearings on the Fan making that sound. Can be from the PSU being knocked around and the fan itself and it's components being misaligned. Bit of pushing the fan back into place can sort it. GENTLY mind with the pressing. But I would just get it RMA myself.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:33 am

Turns out he ordered it on next day Sunday delivery, so I'll be driving over to his place today. Might as well give the system another check while waiting for the new PSU to arrive.

But yeah, I'm hoping it's not the motherboard. Fingers crossed.
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:44 pm

Everything seemed to go ok. Got the 600Watter installed and had a fun afternoon catching up with my brother. Turns out most of Stirling was flooded after the storms, so we took a walk to see all the "mayhem and chaos". A real party atmosphere out there with the quirky rich folk taking pictures of everything and neds hanging about cheering as cars go through flooded sections of road.

But, yeah, I was able to get the old PSU to come to life again, but if it's going to require constant fiddling with the cable to get it to work, then there must be a problem.
More crossed fingers that the new one operates without a hitch.
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:54 am

Eyes on my Old PC build!

I'm feeling a little uncertain about the best way to approach this.

I'd like some more memory for my PC. Been told for years that 8 GB is fine, only it's starting not to feel the case anymore. Games, art projects and, hell, just using chrome seem to fill things up quick these days.

This is the motherboard that I've got: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H (Not sure which revision, or if that even matters)

It's all fine and good slapping together the best modern hardware you can buy and having it all work. The unease came after I had read a little into it and, what with my motherboard being about 4 years old now, there might be weird incompatibilities. Not so much with the RAM type itself, but the speeds and such? It's baffling. I assume it's safer to buy a whole new set than to try and add on to the original memory I've got in there?

While I'm at it, What's the best CPU I could get slot into this thing for a reasonable price?

It looks like this system is going to have to last me a few years longer, might be cheaper to try swapping out the low-mid end chips I stuffed in there back in 2012.
(Reminds me that I'll need to get a juicier PSU as well at some point.)
End of an Era

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:55 pm

Not sure what you mean by RAM incompabilities. It's always been the case that you need to match speeds and timings otherwise it'll default to the slowest of all your sticks of memory.

What speed ram do you have at the moment?

Unless you've got 4 sticks of 2GB, there's no point replacing perfectly good memory. You'll likely have 2x4GB DDR3 1600 or faster. Personally I've never seen much need to go beyond that speed unless overclocking.

That motherboard will support any Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge socket 1155 CPU, so the i5 3570K for example.

What CPU do you have now? Unfortunately eBay or otherwise is going to be your only option since that's 2/3 generations old now.

Also what is your PSU out of interest? Generally newer tech uses less power than older, so if it's a decent (Gold Rated, 500W+) PSU, it's probably fine.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:06 pm

I'm actually kind of shocked that I included no info at all. Sorry about that.

Can't get all the details at the moment. Will stick my head inside the case tomorrow and see what's going on in there.

I can say for certain that I've got a 3570K CPU, though. So, if it's a 1155 socket, I can use it, or are there more considerations?

As for the memory, I just remember looking into this before, and finding the manufacturer handing out a list and showing up on forums saying "these chips will work. Anything else? Pfft, we don't know."
Some vague excuse that there might be a problem with anything not listed. Was enough to plant seeds of doubt. :-k
End of an Era

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:00 pm

as long as it fits the slots no issues to be honest. The rm will only go as fast teh motherboars supports in that reagards/
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:30 pm

Drinkies?? :)

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:16 am

Maybies.. weekend! :P But I still typed well enough!
Formerly MrAnnoyed

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Hardware