Eyes On a PC Build

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Subway Diet

Eyes On a PC Build

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:24 pm

My brother asked me to put together a PC for him. The main request simply being that it should run GTAV and Fallout 4 alright.

I'm trying to build the best thing I can for the 600 quid budget, and this is what I've come up with. He's already got a copy of Windows sorted and is wanting me to clean and re-use the case he's already got.

This is what I've come up with so far:

Intel Core i5-6600 3.30GHz 6th Gen Skylake CPU S1151 6MB
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4 DIMm C14 Memory Kit
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 OC Windforce 2x
Asus Z170-P Intel Z170 LGA1151 DDR4 USB3.0 ATX Motherboard
Corsair 600 Watt Builder Series CX 600 Modular Power Supply
Sandisk 240GB SSD Plus SATA 6GB/s 2.5
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo - 4 Heatpipe, Tower CPU Cooler
CoolerMaster High Performance Thermal Paste 2g

How's that look? That's just a hair over the six hundo mark. I'm sure I could save some cash going with a less extravagant CPU / RAM / Motherboard combo, but I was hoping to future proof it somewhat as my bro likes to stick with a computer till the bitter end. His current system is hitting the 8 year mark. :o

So, yeah. Any feed back would be appreciated. I've not had to look at computer components in depth for a good few years, so I'm a little out of touch.
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby Mantis » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:37 pm

I'd scrap going for the new Intel chipset and DDR4 memory and use the extra cash to get a better graphics card. An older socket i5 or i7 will still beast most games and the performance difference between DDR3 and 4 RAM is negligible considering the big price difference. Your GPU is one of the most important factors so I'd push towards getting a 970 or even 980 if the budget stretches. Get a good CPU and it'll easily last a good few years yet.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:56 pm

Figured that might be the case. What's a good, cheaper and reputable alternative?

Not being lazy, or anything. 8-[

Edit:

Asus Z97-P Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.50GHz
Corsair 8GB Vengeance Pro Black DDR3 1866MHz

With the 970, that puts the whole thing at £673.32

Unless I can shave more off elsewhere, I'm just going to explain to him that a good PC is a big investment. :P
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:20 pm

If he wants it to last up to potentially 8 years then he should be willing to stump up a bit extra. There's little sense buying more expensive newer models when you can get stuff on a similar level that's a bit older and squeeze extra juice somewhere else. The card will ultimately make the biggest difference when it comes to games and I don't see a GTX 960 being able to keep up a few years down the line.

To be honest, if he's not overclocking then there isn't going to be an enormous need for a custom CPU cooler, so you could probably strike that off and save the cash there.

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:29 pm

Yeah the intel stock cooler's fine if you're not overclocking. I get 28 degrees on idle and it rarely ever goes above 60 degrees while heavy gaming with my standard i5-4570.

Also, you could drop the SSD to save some more money. And I'm not even sure if you need a 600W PSU with that rig.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:08 pm

Right, knocked the PSU down to 550 and cooler removed. Sitting at £650.

I'm thinking the SSD is an integral part. All other benefits aside, if he's going to be playing a lot of GTA V on the system, you want to reduce those nightmare loading times as much as possible. :P
End of an Era

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:27 pm

If the ssd is the only drive he'll run out of storage reeeeally quickly
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:51 pm

Yeah, GTA V is something like 50-60GB alone.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:22 pm

I know. Thankfully he's got stacks of internal and external HDDs.
Will be sure to give him another lecture on SSD care and good data back up habits.

But, other than that, you guys think it's ok?
End of an Era

NG

Postby NG » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:19 am

I agree with the comments made by others about the SSD. For a game like Fallout 4, mods will definitely consume a lot of space as well as rapidly decrease the performance of an SSD if he will be uninstalling/installing large number of mods. I'd recommend a western digital green drive, good value. For the memory, I'd say maybe try the HyperX memory if you wish to save a few pounds over Corsair.

Where are you going to buy the parts from?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:39 am

I think he should be alright with that SSD, though I might just pull the 500gb one from my old PC and swap that with the smaller one. I hardly used any of that space and the last time I checked, it had a theoretical life span of 20 something years. :P
But, man, did the price go up on these recently? That 500gb was about 80 quid when I bought it last summer.

Getting it all from Dabs.
I mean, sure, I could shave further cost off by shopping around, but I'm being lazy and factoring in the shipping costs and what not. Plus the motherboard, ram and CPU combo are part of a bundle that is supposedly discounted? Who knows, but it makes things convenient.

Is there anywhere else I should be looking?
End of an Era

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:56 pm

The Sand Disk SSD is £57.99 from Ebuyer with free delivery. They also have an EVA 500w PSU for £31.99 in their daily deal.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

NG

Postby NG » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:31 pm

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com

Amazon is your best place for most of your parts, excluding motherboard.
I did add the HyperX fury as a price comparison to the Corsair & I assume you're going for 2x4gb memory sticks instead of 1x8gb.

However, on Scan.co.uk Today's deals only page
(Correct at time of posting this)

EDIT - Scan's fine print: PLEASE NOTE: TodayOnly will next update, Tuesday 3rd November. Offers apply to Retail customers only. Carriage promotions may not apply to TodayOnly offers.TodayOnly offers are available from Stock (subject to Demand). Whenever I've ordered from the Todays only section, I've not incurred any delivery costs as long as my basket was more than £20 or so.

Asus Z97-P Intel Z97 - £63.59
Corsair CP-9020048-UK CX 600W (NON MODULAR) Power Supply £51.98
SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB - £53.70

4GB Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3 OC - £251.99 (includes FREE Assassins Creed Syndicate or Rainbow 6 Siege Digital Download Code)
4GB Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 GAMING - £279.59 (includes FREE Assassins Creed Syndicate or Rainbow 6 Siege Digital Download Code)

Not sure which specific card you want to go for, so I've listed both.

Note: Scan do do (DPD next day) free delivery, however, and I'm not sure if this still applies, you have to be a registered Hexus forum member with 20 odd post count to qualify for free delivery over £20 (not sure about the amount) total spend on Scan.

So you could potentially shave a decent amount and go for the slighter more expensive graphics card or pocket the savings.
Last edited by NG on Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NG

Postby NG » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:35 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:The Sand Disk SSD is £57.99 from Ebuyer with free delivery. They also have an EVA 500w PSU for £31.99 in their daily deal.

I bought the EVGA psu for my brothers pc build (June 2015) and it makes this clicking noise. If you were to search the Amazon UK reviews of this item, you will see that some also have this issue. However, I will say that there has been no other problems so far with the brothers PC relating to the EVGA psu.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:05 pm

Let me put it this way. I'm not tied to any brands. If I can cobble together a system with the same specs on Amazon and have it cheaper than Dabs or whatever, that'd be so much easier.

Question: RAM speeds. I'm not quite up on this stuff. How much trouble will a 200Mhz difference cause?
End of an Era

Next

Return to Technology & Hardware