Eyes On a PC Build

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Mojo

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby Mojo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:57 am

Subway Diet wrote:I'm actually kind of shocked that I included no info at all. Sorry about that.

Can't get all the details at the moment. Will stick my head inside the case tomorrow and see what's going on in there.

I can say for certain that I've got a 3570K CPU, though. So, if it's a 1155 socket, I can use it, or are there more considerations?

As for the memory, I just remember looking into this before, and finding the manufacturer handing out a list and showing up on forums saying "these chips will work. Anything else? Pfft, we don't know."
Some vague excuse that there might be a problem with anything not listed. Was enough to plant seeds of doubt. :-k

If you've already got a 3570K on that motherboard, your only upgrade options would be to an i7 3770K (or some unknown Xeon), but unless you're doing stuff that requires lots of cores, I wouldn't bother. For gaming for example, you probably won't see much difference.

The 3570K is still perfectly capable. Have you overclocked it? Even the latest version, the i5 6600K, isn't that much of a upgrade for the price (plus you'd need a new motherboard and new DDR 4 memory).

As for memory, that's just a typical get out clause for manufacturers. The days of dodgy memory chips being incompatible is long gone. So long as you stick to the correct type and speed, basically any branded memory will be fine.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:13 am

Excellent. Thanks for the input. :D

Was worrying after hearing about how the 3570 is meant to be barely capable for the likes of VR. Not that I'm going to be investing in VR any time soon, it just seemed like a sign of the times that the chip was on the way to obsolescence.

Will nose about and figure out what ram set up I've got, then augment it with another round of similar stuff. I know it's some bog standard Corsair DDR3. The ones with the fancy fins on the top. :P

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:34 am

Don't know where you read about the 3570K not being good enough for VR. It's just that it isn't listed on the website.

https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/ ... ef=hc_fnav

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.ph ... 5B%5D=2578

Basically the same (and actually better than their recommended i5 6400). Overclock the 3570K and it'll do even better.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:15 am

Well, I'm just a bundle of misread information today. :O

Either way, had a look inside the system. Don't know if XFS is meant to be reputable, but it's a 550W PSU. Should be alright? Put a GTX 970 in there recently and it's holding up fine... I hope.
Got the memory sussed. It's these, only in red. The fun thing about the RAM is that if I want to add more, I'll need to buy the low profile version, as the giant fins would interact with the fan of the CPU cooler. #-o

Well, that was exciting. Thanks again!

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:22 am

XFX? Should be fine. 550W is plenty for a i5 3570K & GTX 970.

Ah, yeah I have the same issue with my RAM. So long as you get DDR3 1866 CL9, it'll be fine. Don't need to stick to the same brand.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CML8GX ... rsair+1866

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-Savage- ... =ddr3+1866

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:30 pm

I run VR quite fine on an i5 750 and an AMD 290. Both with quite an overclock but also both running on the stock coolers (although I've just had an endowment pay out that means I'm getting a nice upgraded PC)

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:53 pm

Not going to lie, overclocking puts the fear in me. Admittedly that was from the bad old days, but I'm still rather wary of it.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:10 pm

Nowadays it's as easy as pushing a few sliders left or right for the graphics card.
CPU is a bit more involved and not necessarily needed.

Previous

Return to Technology & Hardware