Microsoft is the new Apple?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Microsoft is the new Apple?

Postby Raid » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:19 pm

So Microsoft had a big device launch thing today in the style of Apple's keynotes:

-The Surface Pro 4: Lighter, a bit thinner, slightly larger screen in the same size chassis, better pen.
-Microsoft Band 2: Looks like it might actually be comfortable for use by humans.
-Lumia 950 and 950XL: Windows 10 phones that you can plug into a dock to use like a PC (no, really; mouse, keyboard, start menu, alt-tabbing)
-Surface Book; Microsoft's first laptop: Powerful, pixel-dense screen, discrete GPU, quiet, nice keyboard and touchpad, same style of pen-enabled touchscreen as the Surface Pro. And at the end of the demonstration; "Oh, what's that? Did we forget to mention something? Oh yeah, it's a convertible." *takes screen off and uses it like a Surface Pro*

And all with a style to get punters excited about these reveals. I'd be genuinely surprised if the Surface / Lumia chap wasn't on some sort of illegal substance during his presentation, as he seemed a little crazed (going off on tangents, completely geeking out about USB ports and hinges).

Honestly the hardware looks great, and I'm beginning to buy into the Windows 10 ecosystem. I've been using a Surface Pro 2 for two years, and it really is an excellent piece of hardware. There was some really clever stuff on show today, and while it's still aimed more at professionals than consumers, there's definitely more excitement coming out of the company that I think most of us are used to.

Quietman

Re: Microsoft is the new Apple?

Postby Quietman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:19 pm

I really like the look of both the 4 and the Book, my surface pro 2 is now sporting a bit of flappy stand thanks to the girlfriend and is feeling a bit small and long in the tooth these days so was contemplating a replacement. One of these will do nicely! I really like the way MS is going with Windows 10 and I don't mind buying into it, the small things like syncing between devices are very nice.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:43 pm

There's nothing wrong with my Pro 2, so replacing it would be out of desire rather than necessity, but I'm told that the pen for the Pro 3 is significantly worse for actually drawing with than the Wacom tech in the Pro 2, so I'd have to wait for reviews on the new one.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:05 am

Yeah that's what I heard too, few folk at my last work have them and aren't impressed. Fingers crossed though for the next one.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:31 am

I forget. Did I mention at any point that I got a Surface Pro 3 and barely used it? Sold it earlier this year and bought a Pro 2, which might sound like a weird downgrade, but I have been using it a whole lot more. Just had this feeling that the Pro 3 was trying to be too big for it's hardware. That, and the pen was bobbins. Been trying my dubious arts on this older model and finally feel like I can retire my archaic Lenovo X61t.

As cool as this new model sounds, I'm in no way rich enough to be getting in at those prices. Maybe a few of years later second hand, but who knows what the market will look like then. Haha. Exciting times for portable computing.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:45 am

It's entirely possible that my knowledge of the poor drawing ability of the SP3's pen comes from you.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:02 pm

I really like the look of the new Surface Book. But I really don't need any more laptops/tablets that won't get a great deal of use. But it looks so damn slick!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:29 pm

It does, but it turns out that one of the laptop's defining features isn't actually present in the lowest end model. It'll still have the detachable keyboard, but there won't be a discrete GPU unless you opt for the next model up. They haven't announced any UK pricing for the 'Book yet, because they haven't even given a release date for this side of the Atlantic, however based on the comparitive pricing for the 'Pro 4, you're going to be spending £1400 if you want the discrete GPU. That's far, far too much for a 13 inch laptop in my eyes.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:43 pm

Well the US starting model is $1499 so presumably it'll be at least £1200 with VAT on for the basic model over here. I agree that it's perhaps a little bit more than I'd be willing to pay.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:42 pm

You'd have to be off your fucking rocker!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:37 am

I finding myself really considering getting one of those phones though....
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:55 pm

Sounds like they're getting close to perfecting Windows phones, Android is just a licence to get hacked by design, that leaves Microsoft as I don't want to spend iPhone money even on a long contract. The laptops, it's nice MS are making them but HP have something similar (before the discrete GPU came along anyway) which will probably be cheaper right now.

No complaints about Windows 10 though, will have to install it a second time and use only 10 until I know it but no real issues so far.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Return to Technology & Hardware