Microsoft to buy AMD

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Medicine Man

Microsoft to buy AMD

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:37 am

Question mark, question mark...

http://www.kitguru.net/components/anton ... es-source/

The details about negotiations are unclear, just like Microsoft’s exact proposal to AMD. However, since Microsoft has $95.3 billion in cash, whereas AMD’s market capitalization right now is $1.81 billion, the software giant may buy AMD relatively easily. In fact, current value of AMD is three times lower than the company paid for ATI Technologies in 2006.

Analysts estimate that Microsoft pays around $100 for every Xbox One system-on-chip to AMD. Life-to-date sales of Xbox One are around are around 12.6 million units, which means that Microsoft has already paid AMD around $1.26 billion for Xbox One chips. The acquisition of AMD could save it around a billion per year on Xbox One chips alone. It the company develops appropriate chips for smartphones and tablets, Microsoft’s savings could be even higher.

DjchunKfunK

Re: Microsoft to buy AMD

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:19 pm

Makes sense I guess, maybe it will lead to better drivers. Also that stat about AMD being worth less than what they paid for ATI must be pretty depressing for the company.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:37 pm

Doubt it since it was only a few days back another rumour was floating that AMD was up for sale and they refuted it.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:18 pm

They normally have to refute this kind of stuff unless it is a done deal as it can greatly effect their stock price. Nearly every company that has been bought ever has said they are not up for sale prior to being bought out.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:17 am

Yep that is true Dj but still I can't see it happening as AMD makes for both consoles the GPU and that is one sweet money earner.
Got to mind AMD only got into this mess from buying a factory in Mexico that had hidden huge crippling debts before they bought it that sent them way back financially for the years after that.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:54 pm

If Intel can buy an AV firm then it's not really a stretch to think of a software company buying a chipmaker. Personally I hope it happens as you know they will try to make it a much more profitable spin-off should they offload it later.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:25 am

They've got to worry about how intel will react, Intel will be very unhappy if Microsoft start making their own CPUs. Google had to be very careful they didn't piss off the other phone manufacturers when they started making the Nexus's.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:32 pm

If Microsoft was to buy them they won't get the x86 license that AMD currently has either as AMD would lose it from any takeover.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:12 am

I'm no tech expert, but as I said earlier I reckon they would mothball the PC CPU area of the company so Intel may well welcome an AMD takeover. :P

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:55 pm

See I can believe a Intel take over since they would love to get back at nVidia and what better way then pumping in huge R&D to AMD's GPU :wink:
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Return to Technology & Hardware