CRT TVs - Recycling and/or Re-homing

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Medicine Man

CRT TVs - Recycling and/or Re-homing

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:11 am

Hey chaps I have recently decided to finally buy a modern TV. You know one of those thin, flat screen numbers with the liquid crystals and all that. Anyway this has left me with quite the dilemma surrounding my existing TV set.

Yep it's a CRT, its big and it's extremely heavy. How on earth do I re-home this thing? It would break my heart to bin/recycle this bad boy as it's been in my life longer than my children and its still fully functional and a cracking telly to boot (just not HD)

Now ideally if there was, say someone in the local area who had a penchant for retro games and required a 32'' CRT for authentic MegaDrive fun that would be great (wouldn't it Subby? :D)

But failing that what do I do with this thing?

eVoL

Re: CRT TVs - Recycling and/or Re-homing

Postby eVoL » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:19 am

Council dump sites have a container for old electrical good, such as your bigass telly.

Or buy a PS1 and Bust A Groove.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:27 am

Check your area for charities that will collect these free for resale, the one in my area for instance is called toogoodtothrowaway.
Would save you a trip to the tip and would be a shame to bin it if it's working rather than it earn cash for a good cause. I did the same when I upgraded, the bloody thing was 38" screen and took 2 of us to lift.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:12 pm

You could have just asked me before making a thread. :lol:

I love CRT and have been needing a more modern one since my old BeoVision from the 80s is on the way out.
End of an Era

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:19 pm

If you want it mate it's all yours. :)

It is a tad on the heavy side though, like 10 stone heavy and I'd probably need to hand to shift it.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:31 pm

Medicine Man wrote:If you want it mate it's all yours. :)

It is a tad on the heavy side though, like 10 stone heavy and I'd probably need to hand to shift it.
Of course. I'll send you a note. :P
End of an Era

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:05 pm

It's great when these problems solve themselves! :D plus now you've waited two years on from when I bought mine MM you will struggle to even pay 200 quid if staying at the same size but depends on the brand and features. You looking to stay at 32? And thinking of buying this Bank Hol weekend when you might get decent price drops?
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:28 am

It is indeed.

Going to jump up to a 48. Managed to pick up a Samsung H6400. I would've waited until the bank holiday weekend, but as it's a discontinued model most stores are on the last of their stock. Plus I don't mind being a little behind TV wise if it means its cheaper, although that's 2 years worth of scrimping and saving gone.

I suppose its justifiable as you can see its not like I'm buying a new telly every 2-3 years. :D

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:10 am

Nope brilliant if you can avoid the Bank Hol crowds and actually have it in the house in time for the weekend, and tbh it takes a long time for an older generation to get cleared out and sold off so if you went up to 48 then it should have stacks of features that might not be on its replacement. Am assuming Freeview HD is standard on it so you should have Film4+1 as a little extra advantage over older flatscreens.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Return to Technology & Hardware