Video Card Failing and Recovering

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
elgaucho

Video Card Failing and Recovering

Postby elgaucho » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:03 pm

So... my old fraphics card recently failed on me and this made me upgrade.

However, since then I keep getting failures where my video goes and then recovers a few moments later - this always happens when I'm gaming, and usually when there's a lot of action going on.

My gut tells that I need a stronger power supply, but before I go out and spend £100 on something like an XFX Pro Black Edition 750W (which is what I'd get), I would welcome thoughts on any other theories of what it could be / I should check. Is there an easy way to measure wattage use on the current rig?

Current rig:
Intel i5-3750k @3.4ghz
MSI MS-7758
8 gig ram
Radeon R9 270x 4 gig
1 SSD Drive
2 other hard drives
CDRW
Bunch of stuff plugged into the USB slots, including speakers

All this is powered by a slightly ageing but still very solid Seasonic S12 600W power supply.

So - any thoughts? :)
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

NG

Re: Video Card Failing and Recovering

Postby NG » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:18 pm

Did this problem happen before with your old graphics card?

Does this problem happen with specific games or any games?

Do you have latest drivers for the graphic card and for your monitor (if applicable)?

I had a similar problem but turned out to be a problem with my old BenQFP24 monitor.

Overheating or dust build up inside PC?

Also have a look in Windows Event Viewer to see if something is reported when the problem occurs.

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:30 pm

It's a new problem since the graphics card
tbh I almost always play GW2 and not much else - in normal circumstances it's fine, but when there are lots of particle effects in big events it does this several times during those events. On a couple of occasions it let do a memory dump bsod.
Updated the graphic drivers already and can't see any drivers for my viewsonic vp2365-led - it just recommends standard monitor drivers:

http://www.viewsonic.com/us/support/dow ... ame=vp2365

Dust is cleaned out semi frequently, and I checked it when I did the upgrade in January - it's crashed 25+ times since then.

I did try the windows event viewer but nothing helpful in there tbh
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

NG

Postby NG » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:14 pm

Have you overclocked the new graphics card? If so, try playing on default settings.

I would probably play another game that can create a similar situation to GW2 to find out if the problem is specifically related to GW2 or not.

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:00 pm

The card is on the default settings, so I don't think that's it.

Tried Shadow of Mordor for a while this eve to see if it would cause the effect but it doesn't seem to have any issues with that.

I'll see what else I have to put it to the test tomorrow - maybe FC3 or something
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:44 pm

As a test, bang the settings on GW2 to minimum, see if it still happens.

Have you gone Nvidia to ATI? If so, sis you pull the Nvidia drivers out properly?
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:11 am

If you have swapped graphics cards or maybe left over bits from previous driver installs I highly recommend this program DDU http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/dis ... nload.html run it in safe mode to totally nuke any files before installing new ones.

Then if it still does it. I would run the program from this site elgauacho http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

If it crashes there it could be a problem with the card like bad ram sectors. Not unheard off but if you bought it in the past 3 months should be able to RMA to the makers for another one.

But you maybe right about the PSU if you have a load of stuff connected to it.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:31 pm

Yeah, it failing and recovering is generally a driver fall over. Do as Lee suggests and get the newest drivers. Maybe update the mobo drivers too.

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:00 pm

Just a general update as not much to report in the last few days:

been struggling to replicate the issue - it blipped once, but didn't lead to a dump this time around. I have GTAV on pre-order so that should put the system through its paces in the next few days.

Also reinstalled the cata drivers - tried Witcher 3 and Mordor without issues.

That said, I didn't do any dungeons or big world events in GW2 the last few days so it could just be i've created the conditions for the issue.

I will post an update in a few days or assume it's resolved if it doesn't happen again soon though!
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:21 pm

You better not have tried witcher 3 yet :) on the plus side good to see it's perhaps settling in.

Return to Technology & Hardware