GTX 460 blown, replacement

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Me
He's so not aard

GTX 460 blown, replacement

Postby Me » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:05 am

I've completely lost touch with GFX cards recently, my 460GTX used to play everything fine with AA off. However its fucking gone and died playing Cities Skyline of all things. Whats the equivalent these days? 960GTX the same sort of thing?

Lee

Re: GTX 460 blown, replacement

Postby Lee » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:57 am

Yep pretty much Me, mid range card with all right performance :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:56 am

Sounds good to me. Did a little research last night and it looks to be on par with a R9 285, but uses far less power. 10W idle apparently, the fan doesn't necessarily spin up when playing games which is impressive. Whats not impressive is the performance improvements, supposed to be 60% better than a 660GTX, which is what, 5 years old? That's fucking shit, remember when they used to raise by that much every year? It's no wonder I've not needed a replacement for the 460GTX.

Still going to buy one though ¬_¬

*edit*
Bought a Pailit Jetstream jobby since it was only £150.

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:30 pm

The days of having graphics card leapfrog the past ones is long gone in favour of rebranding cards which equal slight upclocks and some meagre improvements for even more of your money.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:38 am

I've done a bit of research, apparently the foundry hasn't scaled down from the 28nm process for several years which is stopping the GPU makers from doing any major performance upgrades. They're having to eek everything out of the old process to get new cards.

Also, I get the witcher 3 for free with my new card!

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:44 pm

Got it installed, fuck me its quiet, it didn't even spin the fans when playing crusader kings 2, my 460GTX used to be spin up like mad in any game.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:39 pm

Are you sure the fan is actually working :P How's the performance over your old one?

Yea next year is reportably when Nvidia goes 14nm with AMD at some later date. Also that Pascal is the code name and with upto 32GB VRAM options. So 4K and upwards resolutions maybe the standard in a few years.
Toss in some retina like displays with 225dpi and you won't even need to bother with AA at all. Seeing how that is still the biggest performance killer in games than just upping the resolution and downscaling. Going off topic I know :oops:

Yet to play CK2 but I didn't think it would cause much gpu usage being somewhat basic in appearance. Bit like WoT in making my card spin up like crazy yet other games it doesn't.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:47 pm

Yeah, I suppose CK2 is entirely 3D, it was killing my 4000HD while I waited for the new card. It does spin up a bit, kinds turns off and on a bit as you play, pretty cool. One of the new nvidia techs is its own downscaler where it ups the res 4x and downsamples it for your monitor, might be worth it on older games, think its also got its own low power AA so you can get some at very little performance cost too. Also HDMI 3.0 and DirectX 12. Seems to be alright, only played 3 games, ran the new Solid Snake game at full whack at 1680x1080 without a problem.

Slightly annoying if the 12nm comes out next years as that'll be the gen with the massive gains, suppose mine will be the better for power though initially. We'll need the massive power for giant res's for VR though, that shit needs near 4k screens to get rid of screen door which will murder most cards on a modern shooter. Nvidia have a new hardware tech to do SLI for VR, where each card does the image for one eye, which sounds pretty neat. There's also a tech to render frames before you see them for lower latencey too, suppose it has to guess where your head is moving though!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:07 am

I was reading the review on Eurogamer of the Titan and it seems that graphics cards are not providing the same jump in performance because of the way CPUs are not scaling as well as GPUs are and modern games are pushing more on the CPU side. So you are starting to hit performance bottlenecks that might not be GPU related.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Return to Technology & Hardware