Tablets n ting

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Quietman

Tablets n ting

Postby Quietman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:40 pm

So, as I'm changing jobs (woo) I'm having to give back my work iPad (woe is me).

So what I'm looking for is a tablet to read comics on, play some hearthstone every now and then and watch films on planes, trains and automobiles.

This is all prompted by Amazon emailing to inform me that the HDX 7" tablet is only £149 for the 64Gb version. Anything better out there?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

DjchunKfunK

Re: Tablets n ting

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:18 pm

It depends which OS you want really.

The Linx 10 is a pretty good WIndows based tablet and can be had for around £160. Or you could go for the 8" version at £90.

The Nexus 7 is still top notch for Android with the Hudl 2 also worth a look if you want something more budget based. If money is no issue I believe the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5" tablet is top of the tree at £350.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:21 pm

Heard people saying Heathstone runs choppy on the Hudl2. I dunno how... they should have a setting to crack down all the pointless bling and have it run on anything.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:02 pm

+1 for the Linx 10.
Runs hearthstone just fine and is Windows 8 so should be eligible for the upgrade to 10.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:22 pm

Not fussed about OS, but hadn't really considered a Windows based tablet, but I do use my Surface Pro 2 extensively so something that integrates with it would be nice. Screen res on things like the Samsung Tab S is enviable though...

Oranje Head

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:44 pm

Mild hijak... was planing on getting a 4G tablet however am I just being thick here or is the entire data sim thing an utter fucking consumer ass raping? You can pay monthly, wonderful a second phone contract basically just with less features for about the same price. You can go pay as you go which sounds perfect except that everywhere has a 30day expiry on anything you buy. So thats just a fucking monthly contract then isnt it you plonkers? >_< We need Anne Robinson to kick up some shit because I dont see how it can be that you pay for a certain amount of service and they arbitrarily throw what youve paid for in the bin after 30 days.

Is there any decent data sims with anything resembling a fair deal? Its a tablet, its not going to be using anywhere near what a phone would so I dont really want to be paying monthly for it.

I'm actually really tempted by the HP Stream 8 since it gives you 200meg free per month for the life of the tablet. I know thats not a whole lot but some months thats all I would need.

Why is nothing easy? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

edit: £5 a month for 500meg at virgin (or 7 for 1gig, 10 for 2gig) seems about the only one that doesnt feel like a complete fisting so far.
Last edited by eVoL on Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:51 pm

Increase the data on your phone contract and use tethering instead?

Oranje Head

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:57 pm

Do that already but it just becomes a pain in the arse with extra battery drain and linking the thing in the first place. Its like 5 button presses on iphone which sounds like nothing but when you just want to open the thing and do something its really quite annoying. It also wont relink unless its on the hotspot screen so you cant even just leave it on constant because when the tablet loses connection (going into standby) it cant reconnect.

Fucking sucks being privileged first world citizens.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:38 pm

If you haven't picked up a tablet yet Phil you might want to consider the Lenovo Miix 3. It has the exact same specs as the Linx 10, but for £8 more it comes with it's own keyboard. I think I might pick up one myself.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-10-1-Inc ... uctDetails

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:01 am

So I picked up the Mix 3 over the weekend and so far I am really liking it. The performance is good and it does everything I need it to do including run GameMaker and Hearthstone (better than my wife's laptop which is a lot more powerful). The keyboard attachment is nice as it protects the tablet when it is folded away and allows you to use it like a laptop with ease. The only slight issue is that the keys are a bit spongy, but it is perfectly fine.

I have to say that after using Windows 8 for the first time I would have hated to use this OS on my PC. Whoever thought that PC users would want to go to the tile screen every time they hit the Windows button must have had a few screws loose. It gets slightly tiresome on a tablet so it would have been infuriating on a desktop.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:52 am

Why is it better to go through as series of nested lists? I so dont get the Win8 hate at all!

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:27 pm

Did you get this linx 10 tablet then Phil? Need something like this myself. I take it these things will allow me to connect a standard external hdd?

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:52 pm

They only have 1 USB but aye.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:15 pm

cheers Evol. That sounds like a go-er then.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:19 pm

Mind you may need a mini usb adapter to use an external Hdd as well. Tablet I bought has just the one mini usb connection.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Next

Return to Technology & Hardware