Upgrade GPU or wait a bit...

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
fatbob

Upgrade GPU or wait a bit...

Postby fatbob » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:24 pm

I've got an aged i5 (possibly first gen), 8GB of memory, SSD and a pretty dire GTS 250.

Generally the CPU, memory and SSD seem happy enough but the GPU is very creaky. I'm pondering if it's worth getting something like a 270 GTX to speed things up.

The most recent 'new' thing I bought was Elite which I've stopped playing primarily cos of framerate issues. Alternatively I might just wait a bit and do a system upgrade.

Tichinde

Re: Upgrade GPU or wait a bit...

Postby Tichinde » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:56 pm

Which I5 is it and how much are you looking to spend?
There's obviously no point getting a giant beast of a card but the early Sandybridge I5's still hold up so a system upgrade may not net you as much as just a more modern GPU.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:23 pm

A GTX 270 isn't really going to give you much of a increase or was that just a typo there?
I'm still running the sandybridge i7 and it's having no issues in the latest games. But what is your budget for the graphics card? I've found two mid range ones for around £100-150 from both Nvidia and AMD that would give it a boost.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-xfx- ... p-dvi-hdmi
or
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-evga ... t-dvi-hdmi
Formerly MrAnnoyed

fatbob

Postby fatbob » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:33 pm

Yeah typo, it's the R9 270X at about £150 I was looking at, on the theory it's not excessive for the current CPU and will scale reasonably when I upgrade the rest of it. The i5 (i5-760 2.8 ) was a cheap and cheerful £15 upgrade snaffled from ebay last year to replace an overclocked i3 - that was mainly cos I was getting a bit fed up of the time between turns on Civ 5...

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:38 pm

Wow, that is an old i5 :)

Agreed with Lee, either would do you, personally though...stick to team green ;)
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

fatbob

Postby fatbob » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:33 am

Yeah, the motherboard only supported that period of i3/i5 which was a bit of pain... and I was looking at £15 for a cheapy boost or a couple of hundred for a proper refresh.

Sticking to nvidia would suit me tbh, last couple of Ati cards I had were a bit rubbishy with drivers (although we're going back a while!) whereas the nvidia cards have always been happy chappys.

Cheers for the advice folks!

Return to Technology & Hardware