Advice - headset

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Achtung Englander

Advice - headset

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Hi

My Rocknation Skullcandy headset is beginning to break with sound only coming out of one ear. I am in the market for a decent replacement of up to £50. Not looking for Dr Dre as the base is too heavy. I might get another Skullcandy but I am open to new ideas.

Thanks for advice

EDIT - what about these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-Cloud-Ga ... merReviews
Games playing : Syndicate / Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Warp

Eny

Re: Advice - headset

Postby Eny » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:29 pm

I bought THESE in April 2012 and they are still doing a grand job.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:41 pm

I bought those HyperXCloud things that everywhere was going on about and I really wasn't impressed. Probably because they're closed back mainly and quite frankly all closed are shite and are only useful for the isolation propose. Also for some reason almost all "headsets" are closed back.

I guess the moral us don't by a headset.

Should have got the G4me Ones like I originally intended. Or probably preferably, just headphones and that clip on mic instead :p
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:44 pm

I'm still using the Sennhiesers I bought 10 years ago for £70 or so.
As a result I'm probably the last person to ask for headset advice :)
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:46 am

I quite like the Sennheisers and Q-pad range (own pc 150 and QH-pad 90) but what about these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-X-32 ... sennheiser Always find that cloth earpads are better than the leatherette versions for extended use :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:08 pm

Can't go too far wrong with a pair of these, got a set of Diablo III branded ones myself and they are great.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Sib ... teelseries
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Plant

Postby Plant » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:51 pm

You could buy a headset or, for the same money, buy some significantly better headphones and this.

Not much sense in buying a headset when you can get a solid pair of headphones, enjoy better audio (and probably build) quality for the same money and use them for gaming as well as everything else (which brings the added benefit that if you decide to treat yourself to some shiny new headphones for music then your gaming headset is magically upgraded too).
Prey wrote:i just fell up the stairs right on my fsace oopsiei

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:21 am

I went down that route a few years back, but it got increasingly annoying to have so many wires attached to me and I constantly got up forgetting I had the mic still attached. So when the mic broke I decided to just go with an all in one headset. I can see the attraction of maybe having a desk mic and then get some great headphones, but personally I would go for the all-in-one setup over a clip-on and a set of headphones.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

NG

Postby NG » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:42 pm

I also bought the Plantronics GameCom 780 back in April 2013. My criticism is that the wire can get tangled/coiled up over time, so I would disconnect it from the front of the PC case, uncoil and reconnect it. The wire is quite long & very often my foot would catch it and fling the headset to the floor which eventually resulted in the damage (which happened before December last year) shown in the picture.

The superglue didn't help at all.

Other than the issue with the wire, no problems whatsoever, sound quality is good, design is good, but not perfect. I find it more comfortable & convenient to have the ear pieces slightly rotated away from the ears. I still use the headset on my head and as speakers, but will eventually need a new headset, though I don't see myself getting another one of these as a replacement.

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:43 pm

NG you may want to try some epoxy like JB weld for a stronger joint. I've used the stuff on sticking metal together and it's pretty damn tough to separate them afterwards. It also hardens to a dark greyish colour :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:24 pm

Araldite
/nod
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Plant

Postby Plant » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:28 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:I went down that route a few years back, but it got increasingly annoying to have so many wires attached to me and I constantly got up forgetting I had the mic still attached. So when the mic broke I decided to just go with an all in one headset. I can see the attraction of maybe having a desk mic and then get some great headphones, but personally I would go for the all-in-one setup over a clip-on and a set of headphones.

That's the beauty of having a mic that clips to your headphone wire, not to you :)

I can understand wanting to keep things simple but for the sake of just clipping something to your headphone wire, I think I'd resent not getting to use my good headphones for everything that makes a noise.
Prey wrote:i just fell up the stairs right on my fsace oopsiei

Return to Technology & Hardware