Plex

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Achtung Englander

Plex

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:43 pm

I just signed up to this service. I am interesting in seeing how this friend sharing works. Does anyone here want to share movie / TV / music media ?
Games playing : Syndicate / Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Warp

eVoL

Re: Plex

Postby eVoL » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:09 pm

What is it? A transcoder? I don't understand the popularity and desirability if paying a sub for it...
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:01 pm

it is a transcoder that streams all the media (that you choose) from your PC to your app devices or Google Cast. I know "another subscription !" but my skeptism disappeared quite quickly when the ease of use and the quality of the stream is very good.
The interface is very nice, a bit like Steam, and the Channels are good - so I can watch Twitch and GameTrailers and Thatguywithglasses on my telly - which is nice.
I really did not want to add yet another subscription but given it is the price of Costa mocca for a month I think it is worth it, as I used it a lot more than the server media to my PS3 (which was a bit of a pain as I had to convert video files to certain type of MP4). It is great to see all my video and music content on my telly

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:31 am

So an evolution of tversity.... Don't get why it's a subscription and not just a base price.

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:55 pm

I don't have the subscription and it works fine, the features of the subscription are not required to watch your downloaded content. You just need to pay for the app on tablets/phones.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:45 pm

really - what is the sub for then - I might cancel then

just checked - I dont any of that stuff - so will cancel - make note to self - must read more carefully

thanks Jim

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:39 pm

Haha, I thought you needed one too :lol: Intentional trickery me thinks.

I thought I'd grab a nas that supported it.... Jesus fucking Christ, why are they so expensive? You could get a high-mid range PC fir the price of a bay!

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:14 pm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... -in-europe

Plex to come to PS3 and PS4. I have PS3 Media Server working fine (by adding Transcoding for all media files) but did encounter PS3 anti-piracy Cinavia which cuts audio after 20 mins. Ironically Plex gets around that. Not sure if it warrants a subscription when Plex works fine free on Google Cast

Adalaar
Augmented

Postby Adalaar » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:30 am

Achtung Englander wrote:it is a transcoder that streams all the media (that you choose) from your PC to your app devices or Google Cast. I know "another subscription !" but my skeptism disappeared quite quickly when the ease of use and the quality of the stream is very good.
The interface is very nice, a bit like Steam, and the Channels are good - so I can watch Twitch and GameTrailers and Thatguywithglasses on my telly - which is nice.
I really did not want to add yet another subscription but given it is the price of Costa mocca for a month I think it is worth it, as I used it a lot more than the server media to my PS3 (which was a bit of a pain as I had to convert video files to certain type of MP4). It is great to see all my video and music content on my telly

Why did't you just get the ps3 media server program and do it that way save the sub and still watch what you want.

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/

Never had one problem with a video file and running through this and it's free
cHeal wrote: I don't care one way or another whether GamerGate is all white or all black migrant transgender midget. .

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:29 pm

I do use both and I do like the PS3 Media Server, but I found that Plex allows me to stream my content on my iPad and my Samsung Note 3 even on 4G when I am out of the house. And its free so my subscription was not necessary. Me loves it

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:45 pm

I've been using Plex for ages - absolutely love it.

Have no idea how well the streaming works for shares but I'd be quite happy to share some stuff with you and you can share your thoughts!
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:37 pm

sent PM mate

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:44 pm

Ok - for anyone who uses Plex, or anyone who likes to watch TV at all - check out the unsupported app store:

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/ ... -appstore/

This little channel enables you to access a bunch of other content - anime shows, manga, tv shows in general - that you can just stream direct to your tv / computer / whatever. If you are browsing then check out SS Plex!

It's an instant sensation as far as I'm concerned!
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:03 pm

Is there any filters you can use to only show unwatched items in a category? I can't see anything...

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:29 pm

When you're in a data folder you can click on the top option on the left menu - it'll pull out a list of filters and things you can use to see your unwatched items.

The thing about Plex is that once you start using it for shows etc, it keeps track of which episode you're up to and loads the next one up on the Deck on the home screen. and so on and so forth - so over time all your favourite shows are on the dashboard screen with the next episode ready to go!

There's also an option that highlights unwatched shows with an icon - think it's off by default so you need to look in settings for it!
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Next

Return to Technology & Hardware