In the market for a new Ultrabook

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Mantis
Admin

In the market for a new Ultrabook

Postby Mantis » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Right guys, I'm not too clued up on Ultrabooks right now and I've been tasked with finding one for someone.

General specs are that it must have multiple USB ports and Bluetooth connectivity whilst being really portable without a massive charger or anything, 11" or 13" screen. A decent battery life would be nice too.
Also, it must have really good cooling and not reach temperatures that make it uncomfortable to rest on your lap for ages.

It'll primarily be used for general internet and movie/music playing, not really any games at all beyond old Source titles. So storage isn't a huge issue, but 500GB would be nice for a HD if the OS ran off an SSD. Or just a big SSD.

The budget is anything up to £1000. Anyone know of any specific models worth looking into? I was thinking that going down the Ultrabook route might be the best idea, but I'm not sure if 1000 would stretch to a decent model. We might be able to squeeze an extra couple of hundred quid into the budget if necessary.

The alternative is to just buy a Macbook Pro, but we really don't want to go down the OSX route. Essentially we are looking for a Macbook that runs Windows though. Is Windows 8 RT up to scratch? Or are the tablet based Ultrabooks all a bit shoddy?

naskdn

Re: In the market for a new Ultrabook

Postby naskdn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:16 am

Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13
ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A

naskdn

Postby naskdn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:17 am

Dell XPS 13 XPS13R2-1150sLV

naskdn

Postby naskdn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:17 pm

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Cheers dude, liking the look of the Asus model's in particular.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:30 pm

The Asus one is pretty neat. One of the kids brought something like it in and I was very impressed.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Edam

Postby Edam » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:05 pm

The Acer Aspire would be a good choice, and it's only £1.99 over budger on eBuyer :p (can probably get it better elsewhere).

I've got the 'budget' S3 Ultrabook which was a tad under £600.00 and couldn't be happier (was good to get an ultrabook at that price tbh!). I've voluntarily install Windows 8 on it and it's actually not as bad as I thought it would be. I spend most the time in full screen apps anyway (i.e. I'm either in Chrome or Office) so barely spend any time in Metro. It's got pretty decent multi touch gesture on the touchpad too.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:20 pm

The Acer Aspire S7 that I've been looking at actually has a built in touch screen, so I don't think Windows 8 will be a problem. And even if she ends up hating it, we'll probably just download that Stardock mod that gets rid of Metro in favour of a regular start taskbar.

I've boiled it down to the Aspire S7 or the Asus Zenbook UX31A, the latter is £300 over budget but far better value for money in terms of specs.

Return to Technology & Hardware