AMD in trouble

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
DjchunKfunK

AMD in trouble

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:26 pm

It seems like AMD are facing some serious financial issues. The stock price is currently at it's lowest point since 1990, sales of server chips and and the Trinity mobile chip are soft and they don't have anything major due in the pipeline CPU wise until 2014. They apparently have $1billion in cash reserves, but that will only last them for another 18 months and because of the state of their stock they can't borrow money to help dig themselves out of their current hole.

It seems that despite the GPU side doing well and their chips being in a lot of consoles, these two parts of the business don't really bring in a lot of money. So we could be saying bye-bye to AMD unless they can come up with a killer product pretty sharpish.

Obviously this has huge ramifications for the PC industry as AMD are responsible for pushing Intel into making better CPUs and without that competition the industry will no doubt start to stagnate. It's all pretty depressing really. Maybe everyone who is thinking about upgrading their PC should make sure they buy AMD, but even that may not be enough.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

katarn

Re: AMD in trouble

Postby katarn » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:31 pm

I hope they can turn things round. :(

I've always liked their value for money and they've also pushed nvidia at various times too, and kept them on their toes. Nearly all my GPU purchases have been Ati/AMD.

Edam

Postby Edam » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:08 pm

But GPU wise they're doing ok are they not? That should at least keep them going until a new CPU comes out?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Apparently it doesn't really bring in the big bucks. CPU sales especially for servers and to the major computer manufacturers is where the money is. I would have thought that even if AMD goes down the GPU side could be sold off and carried on by someone else so hopefully at least nvidia will still have some competition.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:45 am

I haven't been enticed into buying their CPUs for years. The last one I got was about 10 years ago. I kinda get the impression that AMD CPUs are a bit cheapo-snide nowadays.

I think putting so much into buying ATi really set them back.

I'd like them to continue because nobody wants to see a single company have a monopoly on the market. But unless they pull their finger out and release some competitively priced/specced CPUs, I'll be buying an Intel CPU in my next upgrade.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:18 pm

The thing is that they've got plenty of brilliantly priced and powerful CPUs on the market. People just look over them in favour of Intel all the time. They might not have much to compare with the high end Intel i7s, but they do have a great variety of well specced stuff at ludicrously affordable prices.

It's probably just easier for people to stick with Intel instead of making the effort to overhaul their system so it's compatible with AMD. That's the only reason I haven't bought one of their <£100 quad cores.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:12 pm

Plus everyone knows Intel, AMD don't appear to have put a fraction of the money Intel has into marketing.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:28 pm

The last single-core in my family's due an upgrade now, I'll make that AMD because I'm still resisting paying the motherboard tax that Intel slaps you with, there's no official agreement to keep mobo makers in business by changing sockets for no reason with every new line but that's how it's worked out.

Since they already have a laptop in the house, a wireless gateway doesn't need to be a Core i7 uber gaming monster. It's more annoying that AMD still have some of the good stuff from the last generation on sale (eg Phenom II X4 965, now a measly £70) but refuse to pimp it anymore in favour of Bulldozer. A sale is a sale, that's how Intel looks at it, even if they update the tech behind new Pentiums and Celerons.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:20 pm

Weirdly enough I think ARM are pushing Intel's tech development more than AMD these days, think the next gen of CPU use far far less power than the current gen.

Return to Technology & Hardware