Windows 7 With No Page File?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Prey
Admin

Windows 7 With No Page File?

Postby Prey » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:36 am

Was wondering what your stance was on disabling the page file in Windows 7? I've heard there are only advantages if you have more than 8GB of memory but just what kind of advantages are we talking about in that case?

Anyway I decided to set no page file in Windows last night and straight away I noticed textures in Borderlands 2 would load much quicker. None of that noticeable texture build in I'd had previously. I know that sounds like utter placebo but I did actually see a visible difference compared to when I had Windows controlling the paging file size although I'm still undecided if I'm going to keep it this way.

So yeah. Do you guys tend to stick with the default paging file Windows controls or would you rather have full control of it or not have it set at all? Id never have tried it with less than the amount of memory I have now btw.

Mantis
Admin

Re: Windows 7 With No Page File?

Postby Mantis » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:00 am

Sounds like a placebo effect to me. The page file is used for moving application memory that hasn't been used for a while to free up available memory. It shouldn't have any effect on your games because Windows won't ever try to page game files which you are currently playing. The only speed increase you should ever really notice is that apps you haven't used in a while will boot up faster because they're being stored in RAM rather than on the HD. It won't make your games run faster.

If you've got a ton of RAM then there's not as much danger, but without a page file you'll start having application and system crashes if you exceed your memory limit. Certain apps won't work at all if they haven't got a page file on the system. Something will break eventually.

I researched this when I bought my SSD for the laptop and decided to leave it turned on in the end. I did move it off the main drive though.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:23 am

But I'm telling you that there is a rather noticeable difference in games where texture loading has always been apparent. Even when just switching character costumes/heads etc the textures on the character no longer build up as they used to and now appear instantly. The same goes for when I load up a new area as I used to have a delay in the textures appearing directly after. Performance hasn't changed otherwise.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:38 am

It's possible that you've got a minor problem with your HD then. If it's working 100% then there shouldn't be a difference between performance with or without a page file. Or perhaps your page file was too big previously.

Try turning the page file back on at about 1.5 times your system memory and defragging the PC. Then see if it runs without texture pop-in.

Trowa

Postby Trowa » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:19 am

Only reason to shrink or disable your page file is if you a) have 8 or more GB of RAM and/or b) if you run an SSD and want more space available.

If you disable your page file and all your textures are running from the RAM on your graphics card, they will load much faster because they stream faster through RAM than the virtual RAM your page file creates on a mechanical hard drive.

Return to Technology & Hardware