Android desktop page... changer... thing

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
eVoL

Android desktop page... changer... thing

Postby eVoL » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:10 pm

Basically what I want is an app that when pressed takes me right to one of the 5 desktop blades. Does such a thing exist? Googling just brings up guides on adding shortcuts to the desktop to shortcuts from one page to another. If that makes any sense.... there was such a thing on iphone cydia.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

brightroar

Re: Android desktop page... changer... thing

Postby brightroar » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:27 pm

I know probably more than the average person about Android and I only understand some of these words.

What are you referring to when you say "desktop blades"?

Edit: Ok I had a look at a video about Cydia. It sounds like what you want is a customisable launcher with a persistent homescreen switch (as opposed to the drag left/right to access other homescreens in order).

I use Go Launcher EX at the moment, I think you can configure that to have an on-screen switcher that persists on all homescreens, or you can pinch on any homescreen and it minimises all homescreens into thumbnails, and then you just tap the one you want. You may be able to customise the gesture too, but I can't say I've tested it as I only use one homescreen.

ADW Launcher can do the same thing, and probably Launcher Pro too (not used that one).

The "switch" often looks like a scrollbar or something, or a line of dots, and you just tap the one in the position you want to switch to, but it varies look depending what theme/elements you apply. And you have to set up your widgets and shortcuts again as launcher apps replace your standard launcher UI and don't save your stuff from the phone manufacturers one.
Last edited by brightroar on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:31 pm

You have 5 pages on the desktop (or at least this does). The centre one (page 3) is the home page that the home button takes you to. I want to have 4 apps/buttons on the home page that take you directly to pages 1, 2, 4 or 5 without swiping left or right to reach them.

brightroar

Postby brightroar » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:42 pm

(edited as you were replying, fail)

Right yeah with the theme I currently have on Go Launcher Ex it takes the form of a line of dots at the top of the screen that you tap to switch directly to the screen at that position - can barely see it on mine because I've coloured it weirdly but if you fiddle you can probably make it more visible. If you want app-shortcut sized big buttons though, that might be trickier. Lemme have a think...

brightroar

Postby brightroar » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:53 pm

Go Launcher calls the line of dots displaying your homescreen/currently inactive homescreens an "indicator", you can alter the theme of it in preferences>visual settings>indicator and then apply another theme's indicator display to it. You do have to go searching for a theme with indicator icons/colours you like though.

If pinch for homescreen preview is too clumsy you can change the gesture in preferences>gesture settings and then you can change it to sit on your hardware home key, or glide up/down/doubletap, just select "function" from the menu after you select which gesture you want to change, and "show preview" or "show home screen, then preview" might work.

For a visual representation, the three grey/white bars at the top of the screen is the homescreen indicator, and you can tap on the greyed out ones to swap directly to that screen. This is the "wood" theme for Go Launcher.

And this is what you get when you pinch gesture for the homescreen preview, more or less. This person is changing the order or swapping their default screen or something, but you get the picture:

Last edited by brightroar on Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:01 pm

Its purely an aesthetic thing. Essentially I want to use UCCW Clock to create simple word hotspots that take me to a page. Since those hotspots can only be linked to an app it would kind of need to have an individual app to go to each page.

An image would be easier to describe with :p
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/8874 ... 516511.png

So where I have Netflix and Chrome right now (the words are hotspots that link to those apps), I want to replace them with words like "Social" which would take me to the page with twitter etc.. widgets running, "Utility" which would go to a page with battery/cpu etc widgets/apps and "Games" which would go to the page with game widgets/shortcuts.

I know, I know, I can just swipe and I can have a much more useful homescren..... but I'm finiky! I figure there being individual apps as a shortcut for each page is a longshot though, but theres a helluva lot of other useless shite on the appstore so why not ;)

Not a fan of using full homescreen replacements though, I like to stick with the original OS. Might give some a spin though because I'd quite like the hidable dock that ADW can do.

Cheers for your help though dude.

brightroar

Postby brightroar » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:11 pm

AHA. I get you. Maybe. UCCW Clock looks like a slimmed down version of desktop visualiser. Which still wouldn't do what you want it to do, effectively what you're asking for is a homescreen widget that pulls you to another homescreen full of widgets. I'm not actually sure that's even possible as you'd be forcing a widget running within a launcher screen to then manipulate the thing it's running on and send you to a different launcher screen. I'm not at all great with android coding and shit but that sounds technically improbable - I'll ask someone who knows what they're talking about though.

Edam

Postby Edam » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:20 am

You can press the home button when you're on your home screen and then select one of the 5 screens to jump straight to. That sort of does hat you're looking for, right?

Return to Technology & Hardware