Wireless mouse

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Tichinde

Wireless mouse

Postby Tichinde » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:40 pm

Guys,

Looking for a wireless mouse for use with my new gaming-media PC from the sofa.
Needs enough buttons for GW2 (5 should do I reckon, more are welcome).
Has to be wireless, I tried sitting on the floor in front of the tv last night and have played havoc with my shoulders :(

Please note, i just spunked £650 on a new PC so another £100 on a mouse (Razer, I am looking at you) is not an option.
Hands are on the large side, Logitech MX518/G5 is the benchmark level.
Rechargable would be nice.

Also, simple wireless keyboard suggestions would be good too.
Nothing fancy, we've got our phones and XMBC for media controls :)

Anyone got any tidy suggestions?

Cheers guys
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Nethlyn

Re: Wireless mouse

Postby Nethlyn » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Sadly my best wireless mouse suggestion is only a 3 button, but keyboard wise I'd vouch for Microsoft or Logitech any day of the week rather than spending stupid money as advocated by Bit-Tech and Custom PC. Input devices don't need to be blinged up and overpriced.

Microsoft Wireless 800 springs to mind because the 600 range has got stupidly tiny keys for the cheap price (£10). You're best off going into a PC World or Maplin to physically try one, then you'll have a better idea. The MS Wireless 800 is £20 by itself from Argos, and in my view it's not worth going all the way up to £40 for the Wireless 2000 when all you get extra is a moulded wrist rest and a snazzier mouse which still doesn't have enough buttons. None of the bundles have a five button mouse so you're going to have to budget for that separately and keep the 3 button as a spare.

The catch with the Wireless 800 is that you will probably need batteries, but it doesn't say which on Argos's site - not very bright - most likely the same 3 x AAAs that the Wireless 2000 requires.

Cheapest Logitech is £15 and that also takes 3 x AAA but you get the first set in the box.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 092758.htm

If you want a medium range but better option them there's Logitech's MK320;

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 372186.htm

I also recommend a set of Contour AAA rechargeables as they are the stay-charge kind you can use right out of the packet and retain their charge for a long time if you charge them up again and leave them on a shelf;

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 805691.htm

Those are the set I've bought and they have been a dream for my remotes, I've only charged them again the once since buying them in the past year compared to the old-generation AAAs from two years ago, even though those old ones were 1000mAh rather than 850.

with a Nectar card you can reduce any of these prices further by £2.50 per 500 points.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:08 am

I looked at the following wireless keyboard recently and it's pretty decent and not expensive.

http://www.ebuyer.com/268905-logitech-k ... 920-003082

Didn't go with it in the end as I decided I didn't need a wireless keyboard. Still, looks like a good keyboard. Mouse wise I have no idea I'm afraid.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:01 am

Whatever the newer version of the MX1100 is because its the best mouse Ive owned but I dont think they make that exact model any more. Cost me £30.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:31 am

eVoL wrote:Whatever the newer version of the MX1100 is because its the best mouse Ive owned but I dont think they make that exact model any more. Cost me £30.

Looking at it, it may have been replaced by the Performance MX which is £40
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:39 am

Quick bit of research shows that the successor to the MX1100 seems to be the MX Performance. £38.98 from Overclockers if you have their free delivery perk, otherwise £41 from Amazon.

EDIT: Beat me to it. Just as a reference Gizmodo rated it as the best wireless mouse around in a recent round-up in January so looks like the one to go for.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:46 am

They took the rocker switch away that was next to LMB, thats a little annoying because I use that for TS. Also looks a little longer and thinner which is also a little annoying because the dimensions were perfect for my hand but other than that I'm sure its a decent mouse.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:22 pm

Yeah was looking at the MX Performance but it apparantly suffers from slight input lag making it dubious for gaming.

Looking at the G700 which seems to have better reviews from a gaming PoV.

Heeeeeeeey

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:59 am

Not according to these guys.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:22 am

Normally I'd be all over Bit Tech and Custom PC reviews but since they were doing a group test full of keyboards that cost more than a monitor last month, I would say just go to any shop that had mice on display or who would at least let you try it after you bought it right there, but before you left. Then you know you're happy with it, input devices are too much of an individual thing.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:55 pm

I know Tichinde wanted a performance Wireless Mouse, but Maplin have discounted Logitech's M195 until the end of the year, down to £8.99. That's even cheaper than their £10 wired Genius mice, might give it a go as a backup to my current one.

Hit Maplin.co.uk and search code number 630080 - uses a single AA battery.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:26 pm

Forgot about this.
It was the comments on the Bit-tech review that made me pick the mouse though.

And it's mighty fine, found using the dongle extender cable made a big difference to the wireless performance.
But it is spot on. Kinda need another for upstairs now since my 518 lacks the extra buttons and 2 sets of binds is bad :)

Heeeeeeeey

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:30 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:Quick bit of research shows that the successor to the MX1100 seems to be the MX Performance. £38.98 from Overclockers if you have their free delivery perk, otherwise £41 from Amazon.

So my MX1100 reciever died and I thought what the heck, might as well get the performance.

ITS SHIT

:(

Left and right on the mouse wheel are really hard to activate because the wheel is low in the body and has no horizontal grip. Theres also no click, so no feedback telling you when you have actually activated the command.
The wheel seems to fantomscroll by itself sometimes and othertimes the scroll deadzone seems massive.
The thumb buttons have been moved slightly forward making you move your grip forward to comfortably use them but the whole design of the mouse seems to make your hand slip back. Also you need to slide your grip back a bit to comfortably use the base button.
Its about an inch too long.

This makes me a sad puppy. The MX1100 is utterly perfect, I can only imagine the MX Performance was tested by Nosferatu himself. The only plus is that the middle mouse button is easier to use.

So... anyone want to buy an MX Performance mouse? :D

brightroar

Postby brightroar » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:59 am

I'll give you 10p + shipping :wink:

Return to Technology & Hardware