Phone Upgrade ideas?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Eny

Phone Upgrade ideas?

Postby Eny » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:19 pm

I'm due an upgrade and wondered what you guys are finding to be worthy at the moment. I've had this HTC Desire for 2 years now and it has been outstanding and quite fancy the OneX - do any of you have it?
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

brightroar

Re: Phone Upgrade ideas?

Postby brightroar » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:45 pm

The OneX looks pretty good, but I've never liked how HTC phones feel in my hand, they always seem too heavy (at least compared to an Xperia Arc, which weighs about the same as a Flake). The GS3 is kind of the darling of the android world at the moment, and I figure there must be a reason for it. I kind of like the look of the Xperia S though, mostly because all the Sony phones have these little design quirks that make them a bit different looking from the Samsung and iPhone-inspired handsets of the world. Though in my experience they're a pain to root and unlock the bootloader on, and if you manage it you'll be lucky if anybody's done a Cyanogen release for them, nevermind less popular roms, if you're into that sort of thing. The Galaxy Nexus may be worth a look too, the plain Google phones are usually a good representation of the current top-end of the market.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:23 am

I'm in the same boat. I do love my iphone but unless the 5 adds something hella special (stupid voice AI is not that!) I think I'm going to tread on the Win8 water. I think theres too much just around the corner to commit to a new handset right now.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Wizard Of Odd

Postby Wizard Of Odd » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:13 am

I can't really see the iPhone ever adding much more than it has now. A better home screen would be good with the regular app screens hidden behind that but I can't see what more they can do with the phone really other than make it faster and stuff.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:37 am

iOS has needed an interface upgrade for years now; it's certainly a functional home screen interface, but it's rather dull looking next to anything running a recent version of Android or Windows.

Windows has a lovely looking interface, and I was tempted around christmas to get one, but I'd rather give it a few years and see how it develops rather than taking the plunge just now.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:00 pm

I totally love my Samsung s2 after going from iphone. can't recommend enough. only thing id say is it demands charging at the end of the day but mine gets heavy usage to be fair.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:55 am

My S2 is in getting repaired just now as it kept thinking it was charging and would turn on straight away whenever the battery was in, apart from that though it's been the best phone I've owned. Screen is fantastic, every app I've used goes like lightning, a lot of built-in memory, great camera, and for a smartphone with the amount of power it has the battery isn't half bad either. Not got any scratches on it in the six months I've had it, touchscreen is really responsive, it almost replaced my desktop for general browsing. Can get it for £25 a month on 3.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:07 am

Orange were doing some great deals with them recently too though I don't remember specifics.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:48 pm

S2 or S3 all the way. For me it is so much more easy to use than an iPhone if you do a lot of music / videos. Drag and drop is just a breeze compared to the whole syncing bollocks that is iTunes. I hate iTunes syncing so much I bought 3rd party drag and drop software for my iPad
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Saints Row 3 / Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Rochard / RTW 2

Edam

Postby Edam » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:03 am

Definitely the OneX.

I love what HTC have done with the SenseUI. I think you'll find yourself a little frustrated going across the the S3 because it jut doesn't do thing's you'd expect, having used the Desire ( for example one major problem I found was you can't double tap the clock on the home screen to go to timer/stopwatch/alarm; it goes to weather! This is very very frustrating).

Eny

Postby Eny » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:54 am

Sort of my thoughts too, I want to stick with HTC. I am just a little concerned with the uni-body design which means no ability to change the battery and no SD card, so will be stuck with an internal 32GB, although that will be more than enough.

Another thing, how does the new mini-sim work when you are upgrading from a "normal" sim? I'd like to keep my Desire as a backup if anything goes wrong, as O2 have woeful "courtesy" phone support if you need to send yours away. Thankfully that only ever happened with my Shoddy Ericsson...

– Abraham Lincoln

Edam

Postby Edam » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:09 am

I think you'll just be given a new sim, but that'll keep your number. At least that's what happened with my girlfriends S3. No idea if the old sim would still work in the desire or if there's any form of backwards compatibility. I think the mini sim sort of snapped out of a larger normal sim. Whether they could be recombined later I don't know.

Re: unibody and battery. Have you ever found yourself needing to change out the battery? I've never needed to on a phone and, if it got to the stage where that was necessary I'd be on the phone to my service provider about a new phone entirely on the grounds that it's not fit for purpose. The battery really should last for a 2 year contract.

Unless your're thinking about carrying a separate battery around as a spare if you use all your juice up in a day. I think you can now get those Duracell portable chargers to step in when such circumstances arise.

The Samsung is a good phone, undoubtedly, but I think HTC just put that extra thought into exactly how people are going to use their phones and reflect that so well in the UI.

Eny

Postby Eny » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:35 pm

Well, if it's anything like my Desire I won't have any issues, as it has served me well both in the battery department and in reliability, so I will go for the OneX if I can just get O2 to give it me free on my existing tariff...

– Abraham Lincoln

Eny

Postby Eny » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:10 pm

Revert your micro sim

Need to use your micro sim in a phone with a standard sim slot? You'll need an adaptor. You can get one in store, or if you ordered online, it came with your micro sim.

It's a black case that holds the micro sim and is put it into the standard phone sim slot.

That's that sorted then, I'm getting a OneX and keeping my Desire as a backup.

– Abraham Lincoln

Eny

Postby Eny » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:36 am

Un-fucking-believable!

I called up the Carphone Warehouse page for an idea of deals for the OneX, I found a few deals on better tariffs, for less, with T-Mobile and Vodafone, and with a free OneX instead of the £80 O2 want for me to pay to stay on the same £31, 300, 500mb deal for the next 24 months so I decided to give the O2 cancellations department a call to see if they could give me a better deal and guess what? NO FUCKING EFFORT AT ALL TO KEEP ME AS A CUSTOMER - "Those are the deals we do, so if you want to go ahead with cancellation I can get you a PAC code now?"

NO FUCKING EFFORT AT ALL TO KEEP ME AS A CUSTOMER!!!

I have been with them since they were BT Cellnet - 20 odd years - and they couldn't give a shit that I can get the phone free, they are quite happy to wave bye bye!

– Abraham Lincoln

Next

Return to Technology & Hardware