Case air cooling question

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Jez

Case air cooling question

Postby Jez » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:04 pm

i have one of these: http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/product.p ... ct_id=3947

Ive been running up against some problems with temperatures that i hadnt noticed before. So i did some checking into things.

My main 200mm case fan (big side panel fan) i "believe" should be be blowing into the case ie providing intake of air. Seeing as i have 2 smaller fans providing exhaust at the top of the PC (ie sucking air out of case) and the 200mm side fan would seem to blow naturally into the space where my video cards sit.

Currently the main fan is acting as another exhaust - ive tested which way it goes using a lighter. Now me being a semi sensible fella i though if i just took the fan out and turned it to face the other direction in the case it would now act as a blower rather than a sucker (oooh er)

Well it doesnt!! its still bloody sucking air out of the case rather than blowing in.

Any ideas what the fuck is going on? am i being blonde here or something?

Jez

Re: Case air cooling question

Postby Jez » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:28 pm

was being blonde never mind.

Big drop in temps doing that though. On the GPU side went from ambient idle of high 40's to high 30's, and on load playing Witcher 2 from mid 90's to mid 70's.

Fucking good effort.

katarn

Postby katarn » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:09 pm

I have a slightly different coolermaster case - I only have one fan at the front and one at the rear, it seems to keep it cool enough. My sidefan stays switched off to reduce noise/power.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:07 pm

I have 2 580GTX in sli though to cool. There's no way I could get away with just a couple of fans for those.

Really considering a water cooled build maybe this time next year go the whole hog and water cool the lot for a laugh.

Return to Technology & Hardware