New router required

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Rossell

Re: New router required

Postby Rossell » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Right I got confused because I thought 2.4Ghz was a G standard and 5Ghz was an N standard. I thought they were linked. So I can have a 2.4Ghz frequency while still using the N standard?

Forgot about the wireless cards as well, something I'll need to remember in the future.

Thanks Johnny, appreciate that mate.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:45 am

No bother bud. N can work on both 2.4 and 5. When looking at the numbers 5Ghz under optimal conditions might give you the best speed, but most likely not the best range. For day to day use 2.4Ghz will be fine, and unless you're on a 60Mb or above line it's not something you'd have to worry about to be honest, as I've found most G adapters will get you about 25Mb wirelessly, and the most I've gotten someone was 62Mb from the next room using a laptop with an N adapter. Had a look at their specs as a matter of course and it was a relatively low cost laptop they were using, so good equipment doesn't have to cost the earth.

Unless you absolutely positively need to get your games and movies that very instant any connection over 20Mb or so is still a luxury. With a stable connection at that speed you'd be able to stream 1080p video from the likes of youtube without any issues.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm not particularly bothered too much about Internet speeds because I live rural in a place where broadband coverage is one of the worst in the country. I can still hit 5.5Mb/s and that does it for me, faster would be nice but I know people half a mile further from the exchange from me who struggle to get 1M/s, shan't complain. We're due a fibre optic upgrade in the area come Autumn, whether or not that does the trick I'm unsure, we pray really.

Been suffering from some terrible 56k-ish speeds since Saturday. That includes a crackly phone line and we've noticed a cable outside is suffering from wear. While thats due to be fixed Friday (don't know if that'll fix the problem) I've kicked myself up the arse to try and replace, modernise and fix certain elements of my set-up. So a brand new RJ11 cable is on the way because that's suffering from wear also, will get a brand new wall socket so we won't have to use an external splitter any more. Eventually this will culminate in the new router. I've never been in a position on Speedtest where my upload speed is faster then my download speed. 0.13mb/s as opposed to 0.26mb/s on the up. Can't even update the PS3 its that slow :evil:

If anyone reads this and has a suggestion for my woes, I'm all ears :)

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:36 pm

From everything you posted I can't think of much else you can do, an external splitter was the bane of my life, messing around with just calls as well as the net, until I switched to a provider that got rid of it. There must have been some deal done with BT, but I wasn't charged for the work so line rental must have covered it.

Previous

Return to Technology & Hardware