So, SSD's then...

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Eny

So, SSD's then...

Postby Eny » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:09 pm

Do you have one? What is it? More specifically, for me, how have you mounted it and got it working with your system?

I haven't installed mine yet and would appreciate some tips on mounting and getting it running with Windows 7 on it. Is it possible for me to keep my current Win7 install on my main disk whilst I get the SSD one alongside stable and satisfactory?
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Quietman

Re: So, SSD's then...

Postby Quietman » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:33 pm

I installed an SSD a while ago and have done a few at work. They're the same as any other hard drive really. You can dual boot off an old drive if you want but generally I just back up, format and re-install fresh with the SSD as the boot drive.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:06 pm

Yes. Don't know. I paid Apple a lot of money. I'm helping!

Well worth it though; Windows 7 runs like shit off a shovel.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:55 pm

Eny wrote:Do you have one? What is it? More specifically, for me, how have you mounted it and got it working with your system?

I haven't installed mine yet and would appreciate some tips on mounting and getting it running with Windows 7 on it. Is it possible for me to keep my current Win7 install on my main disk whilst I get the SSD one alongside stable and satisfactory?

I've got a Crucial m4 128gb and it's awesome. Loading times for games like World of Warcraft/Deus Ex HR have all but vanished and things like video converting etc are done hellish fast.
Mounting is easy, some come with an adapter to fit them to a standard hdd drive bay, or you can buy one for a few pounds.Power and data connections are the same, but you need a 6gb capable sata lead if you want to get full transfer speed out of a 6gb capable mobo.
Format it and partition it as you would a normal hdd drive, then go to the manufacturers site and make sure yours has the latest firmware. If not, download and update it, this increased the performance of mine as noted in recent reviews.
I cloned my whole C drive to the ssd, changed the boot order in bios and that was it. Zero problems.
One bit of advice - never defragment it. Constant read and write operations like that apparently reduce its performance/lifespan. And as there's no seek arm whizzing back and forth looking for file fragments, fragmentation has no effect on drive performance so defragging is unneccessary.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Yodith

Postby Yodith » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm getting one of these next week - probably the 128GB Crucial M4, which is tantalizingly close to the £1/GB sweet spot. My current boot drive also has a bunch of my Steam games and such on it so I'm thinking of moving them to another drive, cutting C: down to 90GB-ish and simply cloning to the SSD. I really don't have the time/patience at the moment to do a full reformat and fresh Windows installation. Am I likely to have any problems doing this?

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:51 pm

Shouldn't have, you'll have to alter a bunch of windows 7 settings if it doesn't notice its an SSD. Defragging etc are pointless on an SSD. I think they recommend turning off pre-fetch too.

Technically I think an SSD should have different formatting to a HDD, but mines on the normal NTFS format and its still like shit off a shovel.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:20 pm

Me wrote:Shouldn't have, you'll have to alter a bunch of windows 7 settings if it doesn't notice its an SSD. Defragging etc are pointless on an SSD. I think they recommend turning off pre-fetch too.

Technically I think an SSD should have different formatting to a HDD, but mines on the normal NTFS format and its still like shit off a shovel.

I've heard running the windows performance index test after installation will get win7 to recognise an ssd drive and make appropriate settings. I think that ntfs is still the format for ssd's but performance-wise running them in ahci mode is apparently optimal.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:07 pm

You need ahci mode for native trim to work I think, I have to trim mine with the Intel's SSD tool. I foolishly set mine up with AHCI still disabled in my BIOS.

Yodith

Postby Yodith » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:35 pm

My SSD installation wasn't quite as straightforward as I had hoped. First of all, my old OS and games partition refused to shrink down to a size where I could clone it to the SSD, even after getting it down to around 80GB of data. I had to opt for a fresh Windows install instead, although it was a lot quicker than anticipated, largely thanks to Ninite. Secondly, the Marvell-controlled 6Gb/s SATA ports on my motherboard are rubbish and don't seem to work properly with SSDs. Using them, it was taking twice as long as before to boot into Windows. Eventually I just disabled them and used the Intel-controlled ports instead.

With all that resolved though, fantastic upgrade. Windows boots form BIOS screen to fully functioning desktop in 20-25 seconds and load times on the handful on games I've moved to the drive are negligible. The general spped of response from the OS is great too.

Return to Technology & Hardware