Reasonable Price HDTV?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Prey
Admin

Reasonable Price HDTV?

Postby Prey » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:20 am

The wife has only gone and ordered Sky HD/Multi-room to be installed next weekend, problem is we've been looking at HDTV's for weeks and still not managed to pick one.

We're going to go out today and scout around for one but it would be great if you guys have any recommendations for ones I could look over also. Doesn't have to be the best or extremely expensive but something made by LG would possibly be nice. I have a thing for LG stuff. -_-

Thanks in advance chaps.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:48 am

LGs have a thing for breaking in my book.

Go Sony.

BoggyB

Postby BoggyB » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:21 am

Bravias tend to be alright. What sort of budget have you got? Please say £2000.
Listen to me. Traitor.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:53 pm

http://www.electronicworldtv.co.uk/
Look on there PREY, fucking ridiculous cheap, seen TVs which cost a grand on Amazon be 500 quids there. You do have to pick them up from the warehouse yourself though, probably be Preston for you.

You can get a 47 inch LG LED for about £550.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:41 pm

having had a Plasma for years and years my parents got an LED and the quality of blacks is so much sharper.

Go LED if you can afford it
Games playing : Max Payne 3 / Doom / Dirt 3 / RTW 2

BoggyB

Postby BoggyB » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:35 pm

Which plasma do you have, achtung? Mine has a far nicer picture quality and black level than any LCD i've seen in the same price range. Don't write off an entire technology based on your old model, bro!

Cheaper LED LCDs seem to have a problem with uniform backlighting too.
Listen to me. Traitor.

Boomshaka

Postby Boomshaka » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Obviously its a question of personal choice but if you want the best natural picture with the deepest inky blacks and all the detail your eye can take in, id go for the Panny V20 series of plasma.

With LED/LCD technology, the sharpness appears too artificial, too enhanced to my eye, which isnt to say that plasma isnt sharp - its jaw droppingly so, its just the picture looks alot more natural, and deeper, with black levels far truer to the source than even the most expensive LED/LCD can produce.

When I went to preview my Panasonic P50V20 in the shop for the first time, it was simply a staggering experience. The guy put on a bit of Dark Knight - the IMAX bit where he base jumps off the skyscraper in Hong Kong and dear god the clarity of everything was staggering. You could see in all the separate windows as Batman dropped off his perch. Amazing just doesn't begin to explain it. I tried the same footage on the one of the new Samsung LED/LCD screens (UE55D8000) and while yes it looked impressive in it's own right it didn't really make me want to buy it. The flesh tones seamed quite jaundiced (which you could probably calibrate but the shop steward assured me it was already so) and although the detail was amazingly crisp it felt a bit too overly sharp or not quite right to my eye. Don't get me wrong it's fine, it's a totally fine set, but there was just no way I could justify spending 1400 quid on it when for the same money I could get that 50 inch Pany (you could probably pick up the panasonic p50vt20 - the 3d version for the same money now)

There was also one thing I hadn't anticipated about these new LCD/LED tellys aswell. On slow moving things like nature programs, it seamed fine, however when watching the dark knight, everything was moving so fluidly and rapidly, it made everything look like it was slightly sped up. Basically im referring to its 100hz mode where it tries to make panning shots or when stuffs flying about shockingly and awesomely in focus all the time and yes, the shots in the dark knight were actually spectacular on the Samsung, all the way through it, but at the same time it was like my eyes were constantly playing tricks on me with how fast everything was moving. Ive basically grown to utterly hate these modes, as it messes around with the source footage and makes it look unnatural. Stuff that normally looks like it's on film is ruined by this.

So basically, at best Lcd/LED makes everything look unreal and hyper sharp where as plasma has more of what arseholes like me call a reference picture. Much truer to the source, and brings the viewing experience more in line with what AVForums define reference as -"a palpable sense of depth, clarity, and presence that will often appear nearly three-dimensional in nature." Colours look vibrant and without that "enhanced" look that LCD/LED have.

Plasma all the way, Dave!
Will debase self for credits.

BoggyB

Postby BoggyB » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:37 pm

I think the artificial thing is a good point. LCDs look amazing in the shop because they're so bright and the edges are so clear and all that jazz. Plasmas don't fair quite so well since shop lighting really screws with them and the image is much softer so you don't get that OH MY! effect straight away.

For long term use the over reliance on brightness and sharpness really hurts LCD for me though. It looks like it's been artificially spruced up and really rather naff. The softer edges and much more realistic colours (easily noticeable on skin tones generally) of plasmas are more comfortable and natural looking to me.

All personal preference of course and it varies from model to model. I really like some of the newer LCDs priced in the £1500-£2000 bracket but my Panasonic GT30 (bought for £1500 reduced to £1300 2 weeks later ¬_¬) is for me until the next lot of sets come out next year. If I didn't have a GT30 I'd have a VT30. ^_^
Listen to me. Traitor.

Tommy

Re: Reasonable Price HDTV?

Postby Tommy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:28 pm

Prey wrote:The wife has only gone and ordered Sky HD/Multi-room to be installed next weekend, problem is we've been looking at HDTV's for weeks and still not managed to pick one.

We're going to go out today and scout around for one but it would be great if you guys have any recommendations for ones I could look over also. Doesn't have to be the best or extremely expensive but something made by LG would possibly be nice. I have a thing for LG stuff. -_-

Thanks in advance chaps.

Wife?

I'm not in the loop anymore. -_-

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:27 pm

The loop of "Prey has been married since he started this forum and it has come up innumerable times in multiple threads"?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:25 pm

Dammit, I didn't see this thread yesterday.

So tell us what you bought Dave, unless you're still looking in that case Boomy gives good advice and it's by no means an easy choice, until I saw my first plasma up close I'd written them off. Now I'm not sure about them anymore, I've seen one of each type of technology and it really depends what you're watching.

Sony would be your easy option if that's the Blu-Ray player you picked in January, they would/should work together famously and you'd be able to control the telly with the BR remote. You didn't say what size you were after for the main room either, 37 or higher? Let us know.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:19 pm

Quietman wrote:The loop of "Prey has been married since he started this forum and it has come up innumerable times in multiple threads"?

That's not what I meant, but doesn't matter.

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:56 pm

On the off chance you failed to decide in the last 3 weeks, I saw this article in my RSS feeds today.

10 best 32-inch LCD TVs in the world today

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:04 pm

Sadly they didn't consider any Samsung TVs and you could add iPlayer through a Blu-Ray deck, so in that list there was only the [EDIT - Sony] CX523 that stood out and I'd have to spend a lot of time reading up whether no 100Hz made it rubbish compared to the EX range.

http://www.sust-it.net/

Has a rundown for the power usage as well. Hopefully you'll get to see loads of decent TV deals for the bank holiday and it'll make the choice a million times easier.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:16 pm

And now I get it - the model numbers on these flat tellies are like the family groupings for mechanical hard drives, then they just change the screen size.

So that means the D5520 Samsung range for me is the best out there with the features I want; 4 HDMIs and some web apps;

http://www.johnlewis.com/231209824/Product.aspx

Only competition for me personally is a competing Panasonic LED model but that's got one less HMDI, no apps so iPlayer would need to be streamed from Blu Ray or a laptop, and IIRC a non-swivel stand (but better viewing angles than Samsung according to reviews);

http://www.johnlewis.com/231244277/Product.aspx

[EDIT] but this model is discontinued now and there's another one at £530 that I've settled on instead.
Last edited by Nethlyn on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to Technology & Hardware