Reasonable Price HDTV?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Re: Reasonable Price HDTV?

Postby Wolfy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:41 pm

I went to PC World a while back. I was just idley browsing the HDMI cables when this guy came up to me asking if I needed owt.

I said "Nah, I'm alright ta, just looking at these HDMI.. Is this all you have?".
He replied "Yes sir, but you don't want them! Oh no! You want these!" pointing at the most expensive ones there.
Staring at the £120 price tag, I uttered "So, what's the difference to this one here for £40?", not being able to look away from the price.
"Oh, but sir! These are gold-plated!" he said through his smiling teeth of fucking LIES.
"Er.. So are these." I replied.
"Yes, but these are higher quality" He said, fatly from his fat fucking head.
I forced a grin. "Oh, right. Hmm.. I tell you what. I'll leave it for now, but thanks anyway".
My eyes burned a mark of deep unsatiable hatred into his very soul.

I left that shop seconds after this encounter, I walked to my car, I drove to Asda and bought an HDMI cable for £4.99.

I haven't looked back since, and I now own about 6 or 7 because they now seem to come free with everything. ¬___¬
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:04 pm

Maybe for the utter purist theres something to the gold plated thingy, as far as my unclean ways go i cant tell any difference either.

BoggyB

Postby BoggyB » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:44 am

Maybe for the utter purist theres something to the gold plated thingy,

Nope.
Listen to me. Traitor.

The Snot Goblin

Postby The Snot Goblin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:21 am

Yup, it's utter toss. There may have been something to it back when everything was analogue but HDMI is digital. And digital either works or it doesn't. If the £5 HDMI leads weren't up to snuff then you wouldn't be seeing grainier images or hearing fuzzier audio - you'd be losing entire frames of video and the sound would be constantly going mental. It's just a myth perpetuated by the retailers 'cause they make most of their money from the peripherals and accessories.
I am going to eat Spaceman paninis with black Hitler and there is nothing you can do about it!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:35 pm

Bought a Samsung LE40D550 last week. It's not exactly a high end model, but it does the job nicely. To be honest, size and amount of HDMI ports were the two factors that sold it to me (plus I've never had any problems with my older 26" Samsung). We have Sky HD, so the lack of Freeview HD tuner wasn't an issue. It's only LED backlit, but it's bright and colourful, and perfectly adequate for my viewing needs.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:42 pm

Prey wrote:Seems some Edwin in Currys talked my wife into buying a HDMI cable for £40 by simply confusing the fuck out of her and claiming that she would need it. I'm honestly still stunned she fell for it tbh and regret not being able to go with her. I'll certainly be taking the bloody thing back tomorrow and demanding a full refund as we already have spare HDMI cables that cost a few quid that will do the job just fine.

Actually Dave (and anyone else using a console with a HDTV), how is the display performance of your consoles on the new screen? I keep thinking that whatever reviewers say about Input Lag or ghosting, the effect can't matter that much if you plug it in with composite rather than HDMI.

Let me know how games look with fast action, then the only question is which Sony CX523 - I've seen both in my local Sainsbury, 32in would fit in my flat without any re-arrangement, but the 40in would mean a larger frame for the speakers and because of the weight, a slightly better stand - that might make it worth it to get a new chair and move furniture about.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:57 am

Nethlyn wrote: Let me know how games look with fast action, then the only question is which Sony CX523 - I've seen both in my local Sainsbury, 32in would fit in my flat without any re-arrangement, but the 40in would mean a larger frame for the speakers and because of the weight, a slightly better stand - that might make it worth it to get a new chair and move furniture about.

I just bought the 32" Sony CX520 (that's the CX523 without the Freeview HD) myself, which I'm very pleased with. I had to get something with a maximum stand depth of 23cm, as I placed it on top of my mantelpiece, which I cut with a depth of that exact size (I built my own fireplace in my flat). At the viewing distance my couch is from the screen, I think 32" is just right.

The picture quality is excellent, although as I'm not a TV connoisseur I don't know how well it compares with more expensive sets. A professional technical review I read said this TV has top-quality colour and blackness levels, so I'll take his word for it. It's amazingly light for its size (which is very beneficial to me and my mantelpiece solution) and the stand is a dream to put together -- so amazingly simple!

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:38 am

Excellent, thanks for clearing that up, I wondered what the difference was with the 520 and 523 families, the latter is about £349 everywhere but John Lewis were just hassle free for my Blu Ray player, so I'll stick with them for the telly as their warranty is covered by the 50 quid Sony are giving back on a pre-paid cashcard.

Richer Sounds are showing their prices as if Sony are giving real cashback which is a bit cheeky and it's a lottery what you'll get if you need to make a claim 4 years in, from my DVD Recorder experience it wouldn't be new so forget them, I'll give JL a go, none of my mates have had a problem with them.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:02 pm

John Lewis are a good store. Just ignore their extra warranty deals -- they're a little pricey.

I actually got my CX520 from Richer Sounds, including the 50 quid cashback deal. Are you saying it's not real cashback? As far as I can see they give you a plastic card with 50 quid on it that you can spend on what you want.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Nah I'm just being splitting hairs compared to every other cashback deal previously where you were sent a cheque and the money went into your account, that's what cashback has always meant previous to now. Anyone going for the 40" can use the £100 gift card to pay the electric bill :D

Previous

Return to Technology & Hardware