Recommend me a phone - Part 2

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Recommend me a phone - Part 2

Postby Snowy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:06 pm

OK, my iPhone 3GS is getting long in the tooth now, and seeing as the wife's iPad is registered to my iTunes account I have nothing tying me to Apple phones any more - previously I would have been loathe to lose my paid apps.

So - no new iPhone for a while yet, and I am in the market for something new. Price is not an object, I want the best phone available as I am going to be stuck with it for at least a couple of years, although if the price differential versus the features is ridiculous then by all means include alternatives.

I have been looking at the HTC Incredible and Sensation models, but have never owned an Android phone before so am open to suggestion. iPhone 4 a possibility, although I detest the shackles imposed by Apple (no Flash, reliance on iTunes etc) so not sold on that plan.

I know fuck all about the current phone market, so over to you lot.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:56 pm

Well the iPhone 5 is rumoured (or confirmed by accident by o2) for December... not that far away.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Dark Flare

Postby Dark Flare » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:09 pm

HTC Sensation is a good pickup atm, so long as you don't mind waiting for them to unlock the Bootloader (required for putting on custom ROMs, but if you're coming from an iPhone I guess you won't care much for that anyway :P)
Previously known as HeliX.

Atrius

Postby Atrius » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:06 pm

Xperia Arc. It's a gorgeous and super fast phone. Very light too (but sturdy).

Or wait for an HTC evo 3D.
Prey wrote:mac users are in fact complete and utter fucking dildos. Refer to the following thread for possible evidence...
http://forum.preys-world.com/viewtopic.php?t=20419

neoboy

Postby neoboy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:23 pm

I just took delivery of Samsung Omnia 7 which is one of Windows new phones. Rather bargaintastic piece of kit for as it came free with contract of £15 a month with 300 minutes, 300 texts and booster which can be unlimited text, internet, more minutes, etc etc.

As reviews say the screen is amazing and I like the interface although I don't have extensive experience with Apple IOS and Androids. Mobile version of Office is pretty good too as I get a few emails with attachments and seems solid piece of kit overall. For the money is one of the better phones I've had.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:50 am

Cheers each.

I have heard that the iPhone 5 is due shortly, but in all honesty I have been using iPhones since the first generation and quite fancy a change. I used the iPhone initially because of the breadth of what it offered, combined with functionality that no other phone could offer - that is no longer the case. I have always chafed at being told what I can and can't do on the phone too, from the lack of Flash support to things as silly as how many hoops you need to jump through to get your own ringtones if you are not a Mac user.

So - no need to rely on Apple and their likely overpriced new phone.

Am surprised nobody has mentioned the Samsung Galaxy S2, that seems to be topping the charts at the moment as a good speedy phone - any thoughts?

Porc

Postby Porc » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:02 am

Didn't think it was out in the UK yet, but yeah from the reviews I've seen it looks great.
Last edited by Porc on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:36 am

It is, one of my team at work has one, which I like from having a quick play. Incredibly fast compared to my iphone 3gs.

Rossell

Re: Recommend me a phone - Part 2

Postby Rossell » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:17 pm

Hi-Jack! (Hi!)

Got an Android phone and looking to put Wikipedia as an app. Which one is the official one? There's so many of the buggers.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:22 pm

Just dropped my 3GS for a Sensation.
It's amazing. Nuff said.

No point getting an iPhone 4, the 5 is out "soon".
No point getting an iPhone 5 imo since all the rumour says it's an iPhone 4 with a metal back and a dual core cpu (playing catchup with the current crop of top end Android handsets).
It's saving grace is iOS 5, which will give you all sorts of things that Android already does.....
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Yodith

Postby Yodith » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:16 pm

My contract is up the week after next and I'm torn between swapping my 3GS for a Sensation straight away or waiting for news on the iPhone 5. To be honest, the chances of actually being able to get an iPhone 5 within the first month or two on sale is fairly remote, if stock levels for the iPhone 4 are repeated this time around.

Return to Technology & Hardware