The 'I Just Bought Thread' - Tech Edition

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
elgaucho

Re: The 'I Just Bought Thread' - Tech Edition

Postby elgaucho » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:59 am

Well, i got about fed up with the Mac Mini i bought a few years ago, and it's piss poor performance. Plus, i hate not having the versatility i have on PC in terms of customisation, optimisation and tweaking.

So it'll sit under the TV as my replacement Plex Server, as well as possibly run some other services / databases for things i want to toy with, but mainly serve as a media box, streaming device, and remote access service.

It's actually fairly impressive on its own - i tried Guild Wars 2 on it earlier, and it ran reasonably well - having bumped settings, but it was running it on native resolution for the 55" tv, at 32x something res!

There might have been cheaper alternatives, or a custom built solution, but the NUC's are getting pretty decent write ups, so i figured i'd give it a shot!

Already it's blowing away the MAC in ALL levels of performance, so i'm very happy. I just need to see what the energy consumption change is, as that i'm less sure on.
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:55 pm

Where did you get it from Mantis? I've always considered getting one as a mini rendering station for my Surface Pro when Im out and about.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:21 pm

Second hand off some bloke called Elgaucho. He gave me a good knock off rate for it too.

Paul

Postby Paul » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:37 pm

eVoL wrote:Google how to CFW it. It's easy as shit and plays just about every game up to and including PS1.

I will, cheers :)

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:47 pm

Mantis wrote:Second hand off some bloke called Elgaucho. He gave me a good knock off rate for it too.

:lol:

Looked on Amazon and a few other places in three countries - UK reseller had the best price when i looked :wink:
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:33 am

55 inch Philips 4k TV. £450 on Argos at the moment if you use the code TVS10 on checkout.

Couldn't resist! Going to be sad to sell my 42" Sony TV though as I've only had it 2 years and I love it.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:54 am

That's annoyingly tempting.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:55 am

It is. Very.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Funnily enough just yesterday had our new TV delivered. We bagged one of the outgoing Samsung 55" 4k curved TVs, the mightily snappily named UE55JS9000 - stocks are dwindling fast as everyone moved into OLED technology for their flagship TVs (QLED in Samsungs case) and the price had dwindled nicely too - we paid £1100 all in, les than half what it was retailing for last year.

It is our first properly massive TV - our outgoing one was 40-something inch but snugged in the corner of the room - the new one dominates said corner, but fuck me what a picture.

Anyhow, reviews and such if anyone interested: http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ue55js9000-review
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:54 pm

I don't know how much longer that deal is available or how they're doing in terms of stock, but my TV is scheduled to arrive before 6 this evening. So I'll hook it up asap and see how it looks with a couple of PS4 games and post some quick impressions. It's got built in Netflix which should let me sample the 4k goodness of it too.

There's a feature on it called Ambi-light, or something, which shines LEDs against the wall behind the TV to mimic the colours of whatever is on screen. Wasn't really that bothered about the idea of it until I thought about what a zone mode on Wipeout could look like with it.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:18 pm

Yeah, I had a look into that, apparently you can connect it to Hue lights to spread the light to the rest of the room.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:22 pm

I really wish you hadn't told me that. -_-

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:24 pm

Well I really wish you hadn't told me about a cool TV that I can't afford. -_-

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:39 am

Took a bit of fiddling with the contrast and sharpness settings but I've got the screen looking great for PS4 games now. The backlight ambience really is quite a nice touch even if you set it to a fairly subtle level.

Fears I had of it only being a midrange model have pretty much been satisfied. Reviews said that it can wash out blacks a little so they come through grey, but when I ran Bloodborne through it I didn't notice any real issue and that game is incredibly dark in places. The HDR is only 350 bit when higher spec models would typically have closer to 1000, but I haven't really had a chance to test it yet.

Android TV is also very responsive and easy to use. It linked my phone via Bluetooth on setup and took about 3 minutes to configure everything. Went back to my Sony TV afterward to sign out of netflix and factory reset it and it was quite jarring how laggy the interface felt in comparison.

Also, my TV now dwarfs my living room. It's fantastic. Great deal for £450.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:05 pm

Really want to watch John Wick 1 and 2 in 4K.

Soooooo

Bought one of these:
Panasonic 50DX750B

Upper mid-range from last year, so the price has come down a bit. The gist from the reviews is: "Well, it's not a 60 inch OLED, but it's still rather good!"

Oh, and don't tell Phillip Schofield that a poor, sick person got a new telly. ¬_¬
End of an Era

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Hardware