The 'I Just Bought Thread' - Tech Edition

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: The 'I Just Bought Thread' - Tech Edition

Postby Raid » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:21 am

In a week's time when they start shipping Dots, we'll be Alexa buddies too! Oh we just have so much in common! ¬_¬

I didn't see the point in getting the larger Echo; our Dot is going in the living room where we can hook it up to the probably superior speakers. We have Phillips Hue bulbs in most of the rooms in our house, and the ability to just ask for the lights to come on rather than having to use our phones will make the place feel even more like a starship.

I did consider switching to another camera manufacturer. Canon's CSCs are poor in comparison to most other manufacturers, and they still only have 5 or 6 lenses in the ecosystem. It just came down to price in the end. I did buy a cheap adapter to mount the standard size EF-S and EF lenses to the M3; I've not had much chance to test it yet, but the initial attempts weren't hugely promising.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:38 pm

Also an Amazon Echo because Amazon were giving £50 to prime users and I'm a sucker.

Damm I must have missed that. Might have picked one up for £100.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Raid wrote:I didn't see the point in getting the larger Echo; our Dot is going in the living room where we can hook it up to the probably superior speakers. We have Phillips Hue bulbs in most of the rooms in our house, and the ability to just ask for the lights to come on rather than having to use our phones will make the place feel even more like a starship.

It replaces a Creative BT speaker I had in my kitchen for while cooking entertainment so it makes sense for me. I thought about getting a couple of Dots and some Hues for other rooms but I think Ive spent enough this month ;) I wonder if the Dots will be better with high volume music since its not vibrating the actual unit itself the mics might be better equipped to pick up voice. Its certainly good at catching even whispers when theres no music playing.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:57 pm

What's the range like on the Hue stuff btw? I've been looking at it since we moved in but being on a three story house I was wondering if I'd run into issues.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:25 pm

The bulbs talk to one another, acting as range extenders for the system. As long as the bulbs are spread throughout the house, I doubt you'd have issues.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:29 pm

Sweet. Raging RGB parties all day and night here I come!
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:05 pm

I'd never heard of these things before, they look great. How have people's experiences of them been? I'd only need 3 for the whole flat and at £150 that starter pack is looking very tempting.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:26 pm

I clocked the Hue stuff a couple of weeks ago. So very tempting....
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:34 pm

Starter packs were £85 each last year on Amazon's lightning deals around black friday and christmas. We bought two of them as well as the Bloom light for behind the TV. We can settle down to watch Alien with nothing but an eery green glow around the screen, we can deck the living room with the lighting equivalent of bunting to watch Last Night at the Proms, I can turn the hall lights on at minimum brightness if I need to go to the loo during the night without disturbing my partner. As a bonus, I can stick the one in my painting den to a cool white, which counteracts the magnolia on the walls to allow me to more accurately mix paint colours.

They're awesome. A lot of people will balk at the cost, but they're LED bulbs and so should last an awfully long time.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:40 pm

What do you think of CC Raid? Kind of seems to me that youre much better just buying Lightroom since the cloud stuff is so low storage you might as well just use any of the other cloud services with a touch more manual labour (or just set a collection to save in your dropbox). Nearing the end of the trial and I think I might just buy it outright. I think youre stuck with a 12month minimum sub too so... hmmmmmmm :-k

Maybe I should just be a tight bastard and just keep using lightroom 3 8)

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:20 pm

I'd still be using Lightroom 3 if it supported the raw format that the M3 uses.

CC isn't what I expected it to be. What I expected a cloud-based service to give me was the ability to have my photos synced between my desktop and Wacom companion, allowing me to edit with a pen when needed. That's not actually possible; your catalogue is still hard-drive based, and you can't sync it with other devices via Adobe's service. You can share individual collections between your PC and the mobile version, that's it, and it's not even fully automated. Sure, they give you the ability to very quickly publish photos to a web gallery which allows others to see your edits almost in real time, but that's not of much use to me. That's down to me not doing my research properly, but getting Photoshop effectively for free is probably worthwhile. If they do happen to release a new version of Lightroom in the next 12 months, I'll get the upgrade immediately for no extra charge.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:41 am

Guess what I'm making!

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:55 pm

Dessert.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:46 pm

If by dessert you mean a delicious retro gaming micro-console, then yes.

There's a fairly large community of Raspberry Pi developers now, and enough documentation available to make setup easy even for someone with little technical experience. All I've really done is stick a downloaded copy of the RetroPie OS onto a MicroSD card, plugged the thing in, done some minimal setup via GUI menus, stuck some ROMs onto it via wifi from my PC.. and that's it.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:18 pm

Yeah, it's very easy. I've one mounted inside an old fightstick:)

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Hardware