The 'I Just Bought Thread' - Tech Edition

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Mantis
Admin

Re: The 'I Just Bought Thread' - Tech Edition

Postby Mantis » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:26 am

The 6p looked a bit questionable with the raised camera area on the back, but I think the 6 looks super sleek. As far as I'm aware it's the only smartphone with a full 6" screen too. Every iteration since then has decreased screen dimensions. It's nuts that the Pixel is only 5.5 when they've added such a massive bezel that previous models didn't have.

Might just buy a 6P to tide me over for the next few years even if it's only a minor upgrade on my 6.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:52 am

Very disappointed at the price point of the Pixel, was considering grabbing one to replace the wife's Nexus 5.

Definitely not replacing my 6P with one (on the camera bump, put it in a case and the bump all but vanishes....) as it's superb at everything I throw at it and the screen is lovely.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:20 pm

Style wise I think the Pixel looks a little bland to be honest. I thought the 6 was quite a nice, elegant looking phone, not so much the 6P. The HTC 10 in silver looks far more impressive with its metal bevelled case. Had the HTC 10 been cheaper, I would have been tempted by that. Then obviously you have the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge which is pretty stylish.

The phone itself may be good, but you have to look good nowadays as well as perform. Price aside (which is pretty steep) style wise it just doesn't look anything special does it.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:22 pm

Tichinde wrote:Very disappointed at the price point of the Pixel, was considering grabbing one to replace the wife's Nexus 5.

Definitely not replacing my 6P with one (on the camera bump, put it in a case and the bump all but vanishes....) as it's superb at everything I throw at it and the screen is lovely.

I really liked my Nexus 6. Cracking screen, and performed great. I just couldn't justify keeping it at the time, needed the cash. When you are skint, you sell anything that aint bolted down. :lol:

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:09 pm

For me, style of a phone counts for 0.
As long as the front is clean and mostly screen I'm happy because cases :)
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:53 pm

I wouldn't say style is that important to me, but huge pointless bezels really do put me off. The rumours surrounding next years iPhone had me interested; potentially they were making the whole front of the phone as part of the screen and doing away with bezels entirely. Even if they do that though I'm not sure whether I would ever consider buying a phone without a headphone jack.

Only other likely replacement for me is going to be a Samsung it seems, but then I've never liked the Touchwiz interface they use. Nexus' stock Android has always felt so much sleeker.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:34 pm

I switched to Sony from Apple and really like their phones. Considering an XZ but this Z3 is still going strong (despite me putting a 10 degree bend in it falling down some stairs...)
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:40 am

I'm in the same boat, was looking at maybe switching out my Nexus 6, but I won't bother now.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:35 pm

The Pixel may end up being a really good phone. But its way too expensive, and it looks more than a little dull.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:57 pm

I just can't bring myself to spend nearly double the price on a new model which looks worse than the previous one and only provides a moderate spec increase.

Had been looking at the Galaxy Note 7 recently as an alternative but Samsung just pulled the plug on production entirely. Bad times.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:43 pm

I hadn't bought any new photography gear in a long time. UNTIL, LIKE, A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO.

On the right is the camera I've had for 7 or 8 years. It's a Canon EOS 40D. It's still an excellent camera, if relatively antiquated by modern DSLR standards. On the left is my new (actually second hand) EOS M3, one o' thems compact system cameras (or mirrorless, if you prefer the old term). It does almost everything the 40D does, but at half the weight and size. It also has a tilting touchscreen, allowing me to tap a focus area and take a photo without needing to break my neck if the subject is below head height. It does lack the 40D's optical viewfinder, and the autofocus speed is pitiful by comparison, but everything else about it makes it vastly more convenient to use. Hell, I can control the entire thing wirelessly from my phone, meaning I don't even need to be near the thing. This is less of a gimmick than it sounds as I frequently stick the camera on a tripod and manipulate the subject instead, and being able to immediately see the result without returning to the camera every time is quite the boon.

ImageImage
Another boost to my model photography that I've wanted for a long time is remote, off-camera flash. Before this, the only option I had was to mount the flash to the camera, and tilt it so that the light was bouncing off the ceiling or wall. This gave decent, diffused illumination, but didn't allow for much creativity. Enter the ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter; a device that looks like a really old TV remote that was first manufactured in the nineties! Also a second 430EX speedlite. I decided against the more modern radio-signal transmitter and flash units simply because I already owned a flash that only worked via infra-red.

The result of all this? Much, much better control over the lighting on my subject, and a vastly more convenient and quick experience in my main subject area. Examples:
This is a typical photo from before this new equipment. It's not terrible by any means, but with only one light source coming from above, it's difficult and awkward to get the effect I want. The eyes for example are shaded by the 'cap' above them. You can only barely make out the painted shading on the yellow bits.

This is an early example of what I can do now. Shot with light coming from below and to the left, as well as from above and to the right. Much more interesting contrast on both the subject and background, and better definition on the eye.

I've also bought a subscription to the Adobe creative cloud; Lightroom and Photoshop for about £9 a month, versus roughly the same annual, upfront price for just Lightroom by itself without the subscription. I don't think I'll use photoshop *all* that much, but it gives me more options. The reason I've bought Lightroom is because I'm a dreadful photographer who likes to fix everything in post.

I'm poor again now.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:11 pm

Lovely photos of lovely models - Great stuff Raid :D
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:48 pm

Just picked up a new Kingston Technology DataTraveler 100 128 GB USB 3.1/USB 3.0 Flash Drive for less than £25, can you believe these things were once £89?? The transfer speeds on it are fucking insane though.

Was going to go for a HyperX Savage 128 GB but this one will do nicely at half the price instead.
Mantis wrote:I was looking for your post about the new Assassins Creed to respond to earlier on and you've already deleted it. -_-

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:26 pm

My old college USB stick was 128MB. Slight increase there PREY ¬_¬

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:22 am

Raid wrote:I hadn't bought any new photography gear in a long time. UNTIL, LIKE, A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO.

Me too! We were new PC build buddies 2 years ago now we're new camera buddies ¬_¬
Forgive the shitty ipad photo :p

That EVF is cracking, miles ahead of the last one I tried (X100). Still getting to grips with it but I'm really enjoying it so far! Currently have the 18-135mm zoom and the 27mm prime. I really want to pick up the 23mm lens but really cant justify the cost right now so I'm going to pick up the 18mm instead, just watching ebay for deals ;)

I also picked up an Apple Watch in the post Watch2 announcement price crash. Its fine. I love being apple to use apple pay from it but I also feel like the biggest twat doing it. Catch 22. A lot of the things I prefer on my old pebble, mainly physical buttons for real easy music control but then again the music control from the AW is a lot more robust just a little less intuitive for the basic controls. I cant stand the app screen, its so annoying not being able to customise a lot of things (eg I dont need triple click to be accessibility options, can it not be pause instead?) One million billion percent not worth the full asking price imo but for the £160 it cost me I'm happy with it. The killer feature is a watch face where it shows either the moon, the earth or the solar system and you can rotate the crown to advance time showing the phases of the moon, the day/night line on earth or the planets rotating in the solar system. Its fascinating seeing just how slow the orbits of the outer planets are compared to the inner ones.

Also an Amazon Echo because Amazon were giving £50 to prime users and I'm a sucker. I like it. Its in the kitchen and just being able to ask for music on the fly is good and the sound quality is fine. It projects enough to fill the room and is detailed enough. It has some quirks like if you max out the volume it just cant hear you and you have to go over and twist the top to turn it down and some americanisms in the voicerec (Orange Tulip Conspiracy for example I had to pronounce "too-lip"). I dont think its worth £150 unless you have a bunch of home automation stuff and the £100 prime deal is still pushing it a bit. Maybe £70-80 would be a good price point imo.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Hardware