An iPhone and iPod Touch thread

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Crowley

An iPhone and iPod Touch thread

Postby Crowley » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:18 pm

Some discussion in the Apple thread, but seems sensible that it go here, there's loads of games coming out all the time, even if they are mainly gimmicky nonsense. That's no different from any other console though...

So, to start:

Zen Bound
Has a similar vibe to things like Flower on the PS3, it's not a game in many sense, there's no urgency or any great skill, it's just a relaxing fiddler, but it's a very nice one. You get a shape, with a rope that seeps paint attached to it, and you have to wrap the rope around the shape to cover it in paint, using as little rope as possible. Addictive.

The Plateau (navigate at the bottom)
A beautifully presented puzzler, where you have to untangle the nodes and connecting lines into a logical structure. Simple, elegant, and very one-more-levelly.

Edge
Devilish geometric puzzly platformy thing, where you have to navigate a rolling cube through a tricky environment. Again with glorious presentation.

Also video of Metal gear Solid Touch. Looks rubbish.

The Bag

Postby The Bag » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:56 pm

I heart my iphone & some of the games out there for it, so to add to your list:

Dr Awesome
At the simplest level it's Qix with great art, good control, nice 'cutscenes' (Trauma Centre style), great fun & worth the 59p.

Tiki Towers
Build towers/bridges/structures in a World of Goo/Bridge Builder style to get the monkeys to the goal & collect the bananas. Also 59p, also well worth it.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:57 pm

The list of games on my iPod is sort of embarrassing.

Bejeweled 2
Yeah, you know it.

Tetris
It's not a bad version of Tetris, even if the controls are a tad fiddly.
Special shout out goes to the music. It sounds sort of like the gameboy tunes, had they been made by the person who scored Phantasy Star Online.

SimCity
It's SimCity 3000, but real tiny. Micromanaging little towns always helps me drift off at night.

Topple
T'was free. I keep it because the weird faces on the blocks amuse me so.

Trapped: Undead Infection
It's too damn easy to buy things on the app store. I was planning on getting another zombie themed game, but I forgot what it was called. Whoops. Still, from what little I've played, it seems cool enough. I was lucky, this time.

iDracula
iWerewolves-and-bugs, more like. I've only seen a single vampire, and even then, I doubt it was Dracula. Not a bad twin stick style shooter for 59p. The music is slammin' !

Pinball Dreaming
I like a bit of pinball now and again. Only problem is that this isn't a particularly good virtual pinball game. All the positive reviews seem to be from people who played the original version on the Amiga, and we all know how loopy early 90's style PC gamers are. Four bland tables and a high price. Not recommended.

Archibald's Adventure
Speaking of old games, this feels a lot like it could have come from the Amiga scene. I saw this floating around on the app store for a while. A combination of the name and stupid character design made sure I kept my distance. That was until I manned up and tried the lite version. Turned out to be worthy of a purchase. Can't go wrong with an entertaining and lengthy puzzle platformer.

And that's a run down of the games currently installed on me iPod.
Let me just take a moment to say what a fantastic device it is. The lack of physical buttons sort of make it a little duff for an MP3 player. But as a cheap(ish) PDA type device, it's totally tits.
End of an Era

WMain00

Postby WMain00 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:14 pm

Ahh awesome. My sister recently bought an ipod touch and i was going to ask about good games i could get for it. I'm bloody tempted to get one myself. Neat fun.

Crowley

Postby Crowley » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:52 am

Metal Gear Solid Touch Episode 1 is out. Very pretty, though basic. It's not quite Duck Hunt, but it's not far away. I haven't got to a boss battle yet, so maybe it toughens up.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:18 pm

I'm not committing to anything until they have a demo/lite version. What i've heard hasn't been all that positive.

Picked up Edge and Zen Bound, along with Sway and, uh... Cooking Mama

They're all pretty good.

And here is a non-game related iPod question.
Can anyone recommend a good case or cover for the second gen iPod touch? I picked up a cheap leather one when I first got the device, but it's proving to be overly chunky and the metals used on the case are starting to go weird.
End of an Era

Spartan

Postby Spartan » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:35 pm

The Bag wrote:Tiki Towers
Build towers/bridges/structures in a World of Goo/Bridge Builder style to get the monkeys to the goal & collect the bananas. Also 59p, also well worth it.

That is one of the best games I've played all year, on any platform... It's just utterly fantastic! :)

Crowley

Postby Crowley » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:41 am

Monopoly is down to £2.99, it's hardly the most exciting game but it's a nice version if you like Monopoly.

Actually quite enjoying MGS, it's very slick and controls are good. I just beat Laughing Octopus.

Adam

Postby Adam » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:45 am

I can get a new phone nao, if I go into the o2 shop and say "iPhone plz," will they be able to just give me it there and then, or will they have to send it to me and all that bollocks?
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

Crowley

Postby Crowley » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:28 am

Then and there probably. If you're getting a contract one you'll have to do all the signing up in store though, so best to take ID and a bank statement, just in case they need it.

Adam

Postby Adam » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:57 pm

I'm already on a contract with them, though, does that change things?
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

Crowley

Postby Crowley » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:48 pm

Probably won't need the ID, and it might make it all work faster.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:41 pm

I just noticed Vexed has been ported to iphone. You peoples should buy this, its awesome.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Crowley

Postby Crowley » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:42 pm

I completed Tiki Towers earlier today, so ok.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:58 pm

There's an excellent port of Wolfenstein 3D available now.

Next

Return to Technology & Hardware