Problems with my IDE shit...

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Wizard Of Odd

Problems with my IDE shit...

Postby Wizard Of Odd » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:44 pm

Ok, I have 3 hard drives and one DVD Rom drive.

On one of my IDE channels I have my Windows install drive (set to master) and my Media hard drive (set to slave).

On my other IDE channel I have my totally blank hard drive (which I plan on installing Vista to - set to master) and my DVD Rom drive (set to slave).

IDE Channel with Windows and Media on is working fine. It's the other one which is a nightmare. I can get either my blank drive OR DVD drive to show up, but not both at once. Depending on where I put the jumpers on these aswell defines whether Windows will even boot up or not. I currently have both plugged in and Windows booted up. YAY I thought, but no. Windows is not recognising either of them.

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong here, or suggest to me how to set them up properly?

If I list the drives as WINDOWS, MEDIA, BLANK (will be Vista) and DVD, can anyone tell me how I should be setting that up? Thanks. It's been the bane of my life for the last week now.

:(

Ta.

Graham

Postby Graham » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:40 am

Yo Wiz,
I've always been under the impression that HDDs and disc drives should not share the same IDE channel. I can't give you a reason why, and I might be wrong anyway, but have always built my machines so that I follow the rule. Worth a try? Or can anyone debunk or backup my belief?

Wizard Of Odd

Postby Wizard Of Odd » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:11 pm

Thanks Graham. Heh, today is the culmination of about 10 days or pure annoyance at my computer. You know the one. The one where you spend ages trying to work something out and end up 10 days later £70 out of pocket and right where you started in the first place. Hehe, I'll explain...

I thought my large hard drive I store my music and video on was dying, so ordered another. Transferred the data across but it turned out the old one was just fine. Oh, a nice spare big drive I thought. I'll install Vista on it, give it a play. I managed to snap an IDE cable whilst fiddling. So, I waited about 5 days for another one - we have no computer shops round here and no friends had any spare. Annoyingly I'd thrown out about 5 the week before because they'd been lying round for so long.

Anyway, I came to install Vista but realised I could not manage to get either Windows or my BIOS to recognise all 3 hard drives as well as the DVD drive. After several hours trial and error and asking for help I finally managed to get them all working at once. I installed Vista. I thought I would be able to dual boot Vista and XP with them both on seperate drives, but my computer was having none of it. I tried all drives plugged in, just the two OS installed drives plugged in, all the jumper / IDE configuations you could possibly imagine. I had every drive on every jumper setting on every point on the IDE cable on both channels, I tried everything.

BUT - whilst my computer would recognise both OS drives, it would not give me the choice to assign boot priority if they were both plugged in. I could boot to both OS's but only change which one by fiddling with jumpers and cable positions etc. Nothing I could do would let me dual boot with both drives plugged in.

This is the shortened version of the story. I've given up, deleted Vista (from the hour or so I spent messing in it I was not impressed to be honest anyway) and am now back where I started with an extra hard drive.

Haha. Computers... They really are shit.

:lol:

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:33 pm

Graham wrote:Yo Wiz,
I've always been under the impression that HDDs and disc drives should not share the same IDE channel. I can't give you a reason why, and I might be wrong anyway, but have always built my machines so that I follow the rule. Worth a try? Or can anyone debunk or backup my belief?

I think the reasoning behind that advice is that transfer speeds on an IDE channel are limited by the slowest device. So an optical drive would slow down the performance of a hard drive on the same channel.

mrk

Postby mrk » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:24 pm

Some posts appear to have vanished in this thread.... :roll:

Doug

Postby Doug » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:26 pm

That means you were on the wrong side of the space-time continuum.

mrk

Postby mrk » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:31 pm

Damn, I forgot to carry the Y again...

Wizard Of Odd

Postby Wizard Of Odd » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:32 pm

mrk wrote:Some posts appear to have vanished in this thread.... :roll:

Why?

Doug

Postby Doug » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:40 pm

When PW changed to a different hosting company last night, there was some kind of malfunction where the forum was divided into two different versions. Some people were off posting in one, and others were posting in another. The forums eventually merged, but the posts in the "wrong" forum were lost.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:42 pm

It wasn't a different hosting company, just a different server with the same company.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Doug

Postby Doug » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:46 pm

Oh.

Wizard Of Odd

Postby Wizard Of Odd » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:16 am

Doug wrote:When PW changed to a different hosting company last night, there was some kind of malfunction where the forum was divided into two different versions. Some people were off posting in one, and others were posting in another. The forums eventually merged, but the posts in the "wrong" forum were lost.

Haha that's kinda cool!

johimself

Postby johimself » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:37 am

have you tried doing exactly what you are doing except with the devices on the second ide channel set to the dreaded Cable Select?

if that fails try having:
PM= XP
PS= BLANK
SM= Optical
SS= MEDIA

if that doesn't work try swapping the SM and SS around.

If *that* doesn't work ask someone else for further advice.

Return to Technology & Hardware