An additional hard drive

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Bob Arctor

An additional hard drive

Postby Bob Arctor » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:27 pm

What do I do to go about getting a new internal HDD to complement my tiny 80gig one. I really would appreciate more space, especially now I'm downloading TV shows.

The controller on Devices is Ultra ATA. The PC is definitely too old for that SATA.

I've only ever installed RAM to be honest.

How hard is it to install another HDD?
Bob Arctor - Beta mapper on the Dark Mod - http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/
I'm eating Blue Stew, Blue Stew, it's hard on your heart, it ain't good for/ When you're all alone at a table for two/ You're eating Blue Stew.

Jay

Postby Jay » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:28 pm

Not particularly hard, but there's a fair few things about jumpers you'll need to know about.

Why not just go for an external hard drive?
Je veux qu'en même mon putain de paiement

Bev

Postby Bev » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:08 pm

Hardware installation is easy, it's all the pissing about with FDISK that's irritating.

Unless you don't need to do that anymore. I haven't fitted a new disk since before XP. -_-

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:34 pm

As far as I remember it is easy as pie. Just make sure you set the slave and master discs correctly. You can do this by either using the jumpers on the back or just allowing the ide cable to do it for you. However it will probably be a bit more problematic if you only have the one ide slot on your motherboard. Once it is in Windows should recognise it without any problems.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Return to Technology & Hardware