New router time

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Ross

New router time

Postby Ross » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:46 pm

Right. My DG834G has just given in, so I am going to need a replacement quickly. I'm tempted to get another DG834G but I want to see what else is available since it's been a while since I bought that.
I have the following requirements:

Must be able to port forward as many ports as I want, unlike Belkin and Linksys, (essential)
Good range
Easy to use interface
Reliable (essential)
Line stats readings
Local Address Reservations
WPA-PSK
Must be no more than £50

Is the DG834G still the way to go? I've been looking at the Speedtouch 585 too, any experience with that anyone?

Doug

Postby Doug » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:48 pm

Just replace it, man. The DG834G is a thoroughly excellent model.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:01 am

Doug wrote:Just replace it, man. The DG834G is a thoroughly excellent model.

Agreed, I've got the DG834Gv3, unbelievably easy to set up, good firmware support and I've never had a disconnection or any probs at all in all the time I've had it.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:58 am

Curiosity!

Hijack!

Ok, I'm going to replace my Linksys 54g because my PS3s media servers crash it, possibly with this one you lot are talking about, but anyway, my question is this....

Can you use a router as a bridge? Like if I buy the DG834G for intraweb, could I stick my Linksys downstairs to act as a wireless bridge for filesharing to my XBox media centre?
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Doug

Postby Doug » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:22 pm

Yes, you can. However, you have to de-activate something in the router... which I cannot remember! >_<

Hold on, I'll phone up an engineer and get back to you.

EDIT: DHCP. You need to go into the router settings and turn off the DHCP function of the router that you just want to use as a bridge. Then it will stop being a router and just act as a switch. Otherwise, there will be a conflict, as both routers will be like:

"I'm the router!"

"No! I'M the router!" :x

"FU! I was here first!"

Just like that. >_>
Last edited by Doug on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:12 pm

Funky ^_^ Cheers sir!

Smi

Location: Not here...no, definately not. Stop looking dagnabbit!

Postby Smi » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:48 pm

Uh, might be worth trying it with both as DHCP servers first.
I followed the instructions to daisy-chain a wired and a wireless router together, turned DHCP off on the secondary router (Wireless) as instructed.
And lo and behold, it turned off. Refused to start up.
Fine. Reset to factory settings, swapped them round and made the wired the secondary - tried the same, the same happened.
Apparently, Linksys routers get confused if you turn it off and both function correctly with it turned on with no problems, so - it's worth trying with it on first.

I have the Linksys WRT54GL which is fantastic once you've got it working. (The above problem caused headaches)
Excellent range, excellent stability. It has WPA-PSK and I think all that stuff you said. Not sure about the unlimited port forwards though. I got it for £24 from Overclockers, I imagine its still around that price. Linux version (the L) is supposed to be much better, faster and more stable! Apparently. I've not used the other so can't compare.

Evol: If you're wiring it in sequence with another router, the wireless has to be the primary router (first in chain) with wired connection to the "internet" socket on the secondary. And then you can't have any wired connetions off the wireless one, other than the one going to the secondary router, otherwise the internet fuxors up.
Odd that Linksys neglected to mention this in their instructions - it took a week of to-and-fros with their email support before they finally worked it out. :|
Don't know if that applies to other routers or is just a quirk of Linksys.
Don't Panic...
Smi
Deviantart

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:57 pm

Erm... well... they're both wireless or it wouldnt be acting as a bridge -_-
Smi wrote:I have the Linksys WRT54GL which is fantastic once you've got it working. (The above problem caused headaches)
Its shit if you have a PS3 or use much in the way of torrents though :p

Smi

Location: Not here...no, definately not. Stop looking dagnabbit!

Postby Smi » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:26 pm

Dunno why anyone sane would have a PS3, though...
¬____________¬
Don't Panic...
Smi
Deviantart

Return to Technology & Hardware