Windows April update causing issues.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
DjchunKfunK

Windows April update causing issues.

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu May 31, 2018 6:24 pm

Not sure if anyone has come across this yet, but a patch to the big April Windows 10 update is causing issue for some people with SSDs. Basically you get stuck at a black screen when booting. I've encountered the issue today after installing it yesterday and then Windows installed it again later on when i shut my PC down.

You can find instructions at the link below on how to uninstal the update if you are having issues and how to stop Windows from installing it again until they release a new version.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-remo ... 018-update

It's pretty crappy that the update is still live despite the issues it is causing and Microsoft's response is for you to rollback the April update, something which isn't easy to do if Windows didn't create a restore point before installing it.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Lee

Re: Windows April update causing issues.

Postby Lee » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:28 am

My C:\ drive died last weekend after doing the windows update previously. Can't even be detected in the bios is that part of the issue? The drive was only 2 years old and only used for windows/programs so couldn't have been close to end of life of the cells. Will check that out and see if I can get the drive working again.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:35 am

Is it an SSD because there were some reports of Windows just bricking certain SSDs.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:36 am

Aye it's a OCZ Agility model 128GB.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:38 pm

I have an M2 SSD and it boots to a black screen with just a command prompt open. I can manually open taskmanager and start 'Explorer' and everything works fine. It was after some update it did it. Tried all sorts to fix it, I just live with it now...

But my son has my old PC and I think it has the same SSD as yours Lee... perhaps I'd better make a restore point now.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:43 am

Thats very interesting. My 27" Imac, which I bootcamped to windows 10, has an SSD and died a couple of weeks ago. I was mortified as I currently cant afford a replacement. :-k

Could just be coincidence. But I would rather blame Bill.
Just once I want radiation to turn something into a giant fluffy bunny, instead of the Grand Poobah of all Mirelurks.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:30 am

I read online somewhere that some people that had probs with their ssd's after the last windows update had success after updating their mobo to the newest bios.
Probably no use to you guys but might be worth a try.

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.”

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:39 pm

Cheers Dr@gon-UK will have a look for that and give it whirl. Hopefully ASUS have one :)

EDIT : Nah still dead. Had a look for the warranty and though it's covered for 5 years, I bought it in 2012... buggery.

I'll just snap up a new SSD in any upcoming sales. This replacement one is near enough 5 years old too and was mostly used for installing online games onto. Can't be far off dying then.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Return to Technology & Hardware