Intel chips problem.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Lee

Intel chips problem.

Postby Lee » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:49 am

Well seems this info is flying around the net at the moment but seems the latest hiccup in the CPU market has struck Intel and we can be expecting between 5-30% drop in performance in the next few months across various tasks.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/0 ... sign_flaw/

A fundamental design flaw in Intel's processor chips has forced a significant redesign of the Linux and Windows kernels to defang the chip-level security bug.

Programmers are scrambling to overhaul the open-source Linux kernel's virtual memory system. Meanwhile, Microsoft is expected to publicly introduce the necessary changes to its Windows operating system in an upcoming Patch Tuesday: these changes were seeded to beta testers running fast-ring Windows Insider builds in November and December.

Crucially, these updates to both Linux and Windows will incur a performance hit on Intel products. The effects are still being benchmarked, however we're looking at a ballpark figure of five to 30 per cent slow down, depending on the task and the processor model. More recent Intel chips have features – such as PCID – to reduce the performance hit.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

katarn

Re: Intel chips problem.

Postby katarn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:41 am

It'll be interesting what effect it has on games. It's not entirely clear what sort of applications will be affected.

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:00 pm

Intel CEO's sold like half of his shares in the company just last month as well https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/12/ ... stock.aspx

They are saying games aren't affected so far but there has been some tests run on other software on Linux and it's looking like more than 30% decrease in performance. Rumours that the 5%-30% decrease is actually more like 35%-50% decrease.

With AMD chips not affected companies using server farms will be pissed that they paid far more for a Intel based system now.

I am quite nervous in how this affects streaming/encoding video's as that's what drove me to buy my Intel chip. Maybe I should have waited for the Ryzen release after alll 8-[

Currently there is a embargo on information about it all, so till that expires won't be much known or up on the net to compare.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:54 pm

So from what I've seen of this today, gaming on Linux is unaffected.
I've not seen any Windows based testing yet.

It's not worth worrying about until the facts are all in to be honest.

Biggest impacts are on virtualised services (here's looking at you, clouds)

What's worse, is I've read AMD isn't affected by the bug, but the fix (and the performance impact) may very well carry over unless the fix is written in such a fashion as to identify the CPU in use.

Best part of all this is the Linux Kernel Dev team originally called their fix FUCKWIT.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:07 pm

Probably says it all there as to the cause of this.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:41 pm

There are actually two security issues, one that effects Intel only and one that effects all chips. The first one has a fix, but currently there is no fix for the second issue as it is an issue caused by the fundamental design of chips. There has been talks of a recall and also that it could take years for new chips to come out that do not have the more serious flaw in them.

I'm less worried about the drop in performance and more that they get these massive security holes plugged.

Chip manufacturers have basically been looking to maximise speed at the cost of making sure their chips are secure.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:50 pm

Meltdown - Intel specific
Spectre - Any CPU

OS level patches are out, but if you dont have AV software installed you won't be getting it.
Also, if your AV doesn't have a certain flag set, it also won't install....

Microsoft's testing revealed a "small number" of antivirus programs are making unsupported calls into Windows kernel memory, which result in blue screen of death (BSOD) errors

Which is just hilarious from where I'm sitting :D

Edit: God bless MS... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072699/important-information-regarding-the-windows-security-updates-released.
To paraphrase: "You're AV might not be ok with this fix, but we're not going to give you a list"

Google your chosen AV product compatible with KB4056892 to find out if you're getting it or not..
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:06 pm

I've just installed the update from the website as I wasn't getting it through Windows update. Will have to check to see if there are any issues with AV compatibility.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:28 pm

It should have just failed to install if there was an issue.

Either that or it'll just BSOD when your AV tries to do something :D

Heeeeeeeey

Return to Technology & Hardware