The 'I Just Bought Thread' - Tech Edition

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Mantis
Admin

Re: The 'I Just Bought Thread' - Tech Edition

Postby Mantis » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:38 pm

A hacksaw? You for reals thought that would be wise? Man you should have at least filmed that and put it on Youtube. You'd have made enough in ad revenue to buy a replacement card.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Haha. I remember there was a stream some guy ran where he unintentionally broke everything while building a PC. Probably made a mint in the process.

Regarding the hack saw: The warranty was done the moment I started screwing about. Thought I could take part of the old heatsink and trim it down to make a nice little bit to cool off some of the chips. Using sticky heat pads, of course!
It's not like I tried cutting the card itself in two! Punch line being that even the trimmed down bit was too big. :oops:

But yeah. Not sure where down the path things went wrong, but the card is a goner. Probably a bit of metal somewhere touching something which caused it to have a blow out.

In my defence, the card sounded like a jet engine the moment it got slightly taxed. Thought a 30 quid fan replacement job would do the trick. The gamble didn't pay off!
End of an Era

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Mon May 01, 2017 4:17 pm

Cheap B350 board, cheap 16GB of ddr4, Ryzen 1600, Noctua low profile cooler.
The HTPC rebuild begins :D
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed May 10, 2017 9:03 pm

Hey, remember that time I bought a camera drone?

Well I bought another one!

DJI Mavic Pro

The main reason I upgraded to this should be fairly obvious from the second photo; it folds up and is absolutely tiny compared to the old one. Together with the controller (which also folds up), it's only very slightly larger than just the controller of the Phantom 3. I bought the best backpack I could find to cart the Phantom around with me, but at the end of the day it still felt like a piece of luggage, which made me leave it at home unless I absolutely knew I'd fly it. The Mavic can fit into a standard rucksack with tons of space left over meaning I can take it plus actual other things!

The Mavic is substantially more capable than the Phantom 3 was too. The transmitter works over a distance of 4km, it's much faster, and it has obstacle avoidance via a pair of cameras at the front. It has downward facing sonar and camera so it's much, much steadier at low altitude and less nerve wracking to land. It's clever too; it can track people or other moving objects letting it keep your subject in-frame while you concentrate on flying the drone itself, making it much easier to get good footage.

Also it looks a little bit like a stealth aircraft, which is obviously an improvement.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu May 11, 2017 9:17 am

I always feel like I should get one but know I'd use it once. It's pretty awesome though!

I just treated myself to and X100s

I've been drooling over the F for a while but I really want one I can throw in my bag and not treat with kid gloves because I just dropped 1300quid on it. Went with the S because it's the cheapest one with the Xtrans sensor in it. It's so nice to use! After the EVF of the X-T1 I was thinking "who needs an OVF?" But after using it it's just so nice! Seeing everything in the periphery and having the EVF slide up to show the image preview when you take it and with the black magic that it almost exactly lines up with the OVF is just so nice! I just want to keep snapping at nothing just to have that happen :lol:

That said.... it's kind of made me want the F even more so it may have backfired. I might just sell it and upgrade to the T just for wifi and non proprietary USB connection.

Now if only I was actually good and taking photos!

Edit - "so nice" seems to be the phrase of the day.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu May 11, 2017 9:50 am

I took a while to figure out why you'd spent £1300 on a 4 year old camera, including reading reviews to see if it was some sort of classic, before re-reading what you'd posted and realising I was an idiot.

I'm not sure how I'd get on with a fixed focal length camera. I stopped caring about having all of the lenses under the sun years ago (I still only have the bog-standard 18-55 for my EOS M3), but I don't think I could cope with a fixed 23mm.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu May 11, 2017 11:35 am

Probably the fault of my wording. Typing while walking the dog isnt the best way ;)

I thought fixed lens would bother me (my most used lens is probably my 18-135 which I love) but once I started mucking about I forgot about it. It might even make me think more about getting more in and less on awesome zoom which I probably used too much before. Ach, I'm still pish at it so its all semantics ;)

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Thu May 11, 2017 8:03 pm

Speaking of cameras I just bought a Canon EOS 1300D. Beginner to cameras so asked for some advice from family on what to get. Love it so far even though I'm utterly clueless lol.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu May 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Oh FFS.

GXT 1080 and a 4K monitor

Because if I'm going to have to get a new GPU and get rid of my current shitty "Gamer" monitor, why not just go all in?
Not all the way in, but far enough that I don't need to give too much of a crap in foreseeable future. :-k

And I realise that a single 1080 isn't going to go run hottest games at native 4K. Especially not with my Vintage 2012 processor. But for my other uses, a bigger screen with better colours will go a long way. I'm sure I'll mostly be lowering the resolution, but I'm sure there'll be a couple of games I can crank up for a laugh, though.
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri May 19, 2017 4:41 pm

Been playing some games in 4K. Oh no. Oh no no no.
It's amazing. Too amazing. I shouldn't let myself become accustomed to such awesomeness, lest I miss it when a game comes along that the GTX 1080 can't handle maxed out.
End of an Era

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat May 20, 2017 8:31 am

Some pricey but amazing purchases from you lot in last few weeks.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat May 20, 2017 11:32 am

And I didn't even mention the three guinea pigs we bought! :o
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sat May 20, 2017 12:44 pm

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite. It's my first e-reader, and so far I'm really liking the features you get over your bog standard papery thing tied up with string, like being able to long-press a word to get a dictionary definition (and wikipedia links). I also really appreciate being able to resize and change the font. I know I'm maybe ten years late with this.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat May 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Now you just need a klevercase so you can fool people into thinking you're reading a real book.

Sly Boots wrote:And I didn't even mention the three guinea pigs we bought! :o

Pics FFS! :x

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat May 20, 2017 2:09 pm

:lol:

I'll try to get some when they're out for their evening scamper round the lounge tonight.
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Hardware