Why Microsoft is lost on 1st party games

Steamz and moar.
Achtung Englander

Why Microsoft is lost on 1st party games

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:49 pm

https://www.mcvuk.com/business/xbox-hea ... can-expand

Matt Booty is head of 1st party development. Quote

“There will always be single-player games with maybe 20 to 30 hours of gameplay, we love those kinds of games and there’s a place for those, but (my italics) it’s also certainly the case with the focus on watching, streaming, broadcast and esports that it’s really important to think about the longevity of a game,” Booty explains.
“It’s really difficult for anybody to think about making a large scale triple-A game these days without having in mind a content and service plan that goes one to two years into the future out of the gate,” he adds.

Booty’s outlook was reinforced during his time on Minecraft There is your problem Microsoft. That is why Microsoft keeps on fucking up. The guy responsible for 1st party games is focused solely on live services.

Meanwhile Sony doubles down on single player narrative driven games...and guess what...they are winning. If we want open-world games with live services, we have Ubisoft, EA and Activision for that. Do something new for Christ sake. Sea Of Thieves is not going to sell consoles, but God Of War did (the PS4 had its best month outside Q4 and that is with a 5 year old system. Unheard of). Nintendo shift units with Zelda. Microsoft have nothing, oh yeah, State Of Decay 2....

Good luck Microsoft. Hope you enjoy eating Sony's dust. To its credit, backward compatibility and Game Pass are all excellent ideas, better than Sony and the XBOX is a better machine than the Pro, so they should be winning this hands down. Its been said before and I will say it here - games sell consoles, not tech, GAMES !
Games playing : Attila Total War / Syndicate / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / 2000:1 A Space Felony

DjchunKfunK

Re: Why Microsoft is lost on 1st party games

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:03 pm

Well to be fair to Microsoft they don't have those kind of IPs to fall back on.

The major issue with your strategy is not only are you asking them to invest in a one-shot game, but they also have to make it with a new IP. That is a lot of risk to take and even if they manage to make a good game there is no guarantee that the game will move consoles.

For the rest of the generation Microsoft are much better off making the moves they are currently, solidifying the foundations. They are not going to catch Sony now so I don't really think it is worth investing hundreds of millions on new single-player IP.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:03 pm

Freelancer 2 :x
My face is tired.

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:52 am

They only have Crackdown 3 for this year as an exclusive I think? Now if only Sony/Nintendo could be the same and you don't have to buy all these systems but the one you like the most and get it all hehe :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:03 am

Lee wrote:They only have Crackdown 3 for this year as an exclusive I think?

They just announced that Crackdown 3 has been delayed until 2019.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:36 am

Sly Boots wrote:Freelancer 2 :x

STARlancer 2 ;)

Also Mech assault and it’s time for Shadowrun FPS to come back. It was too early, now is it’s time.

Also Vivapinata.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:21 am

The thing with Microsoft is now they also now have the Windows 10 platform to further their productive ventures and somehow they are still royally making a complete mess of it all. Sea of Thieves turned out to be a $60 dud because people got wise that the game was ashamedly content light and with that Rare's name has once again been soiled. As for Crackdown 3 come on who really cares about that game now? Reboot development on fucking Scalebound y'know an actual new IP people actually were excited for and then and only then may you have something that could do the business. Microsoft renewed the trademark for it last year so I am left hoping that something could still be brewing.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:01 am

I wonder if Microsoft's first-party ecosystem is a turn off for devs. Having their own exclusives available for Windows too surely can't be helping hardware sales (which seemingly aren't stellar - Microsoft refuse to release their sales figures these days), perhaps leading to lowered confidence in the XBox platform in general.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:37 am

Yyyyong out!
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:45 am

Is it weird that I want an X1X just to play 360 games?
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:21 pm

That's all I use my S for.

The X is perhaps overkill, but understandable. :)

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group