E3 2018 Thread: 12 Jun 2018 – 14 Jun 2018

Steamz and moar.
Prey
Admin

Re: E3 2018 Thread: 12 Jun 2018 – 14 Jun 2018

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:11 am

Without a doubt Sony's worst conference in years which was highly unexpected. Yes the games looked great but the actual presentation side was a bloody car crash from the off as if something drastically went wrong behind the scenes and they never recovered from it. Negating to have any form of on stage interaction other than a brief and flustered Shawn Layden ala Phil Spencer helping progress things really hurt the show IMO and the completely idiotic theme attempts they went for just made the show grating. Banjo guy. Flute guy. The bald presenter who waved his arms and hands around constantly. Quality of games is one thing but quality of your presentation should be just as important and this year Sony completely dropped the ball in that regard to an almost stunning degree. It made the PC GAMER SHOW look well done ffs. Attempting to highlight a single game (as worthy as it was) in such a fashion completely ruined any form of pacing or coherence for people watching at home and having intermissions when you have 300k sat watching on a live stream isn't exactly ideal.

Don't get me wrong Last of Us 2 looked fucking amazing although heavily scripted so much so that I surely can't be the only one to question if it was even a game for this gen likewise to a somewhat lesser degree with Ghost of Tsushima. As for Death Stranding sure it looked unique and beautiful but did absolutely nothing to explain how the game is actually played oh and the baby hole bit at the start made me spit out my cereal.

In terms of actual conferences Microsoft came top with one of their best shows in a long time with Bethesda a close second place. Sony normally knock it out of the park both with games and the actual conference but I think this years will be remembered with a more WTF HAPPENED HERE THEN kind of tone more than anything and that's a shame because the quality of games on show was nigh on perfect.

edit: This guy gets it...

Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:07 am

You do realise there is still one more conference to go Dave?

I thought Last of Us 2 looked like more Last of Us with ropey stealth and a similar cover system to the first game which I think is bad, and the focus on violence was very off-putting. There is something about ott violence in video games that I just don't like when compared with films. It's probably to do with the fact that you actually carry it out so it seems more gratuitous than in films.

EDIT Biggest news of the night was Yakuza Kiwami and Zero coming to PC. More people should play those games as they are brilliant and Kiryu is one of the best characters in video games.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:44 am

My issue with the Sony conference was more to do with not believing any of the gameplay segments were real. The animation in The Last of Us 2 was too fluid, the foliage in Ghost of Tsushima too realistic and detailed, and the complexity of the level Spiderman was navigating could surely only be done as one giant QTE or cutscene. I'd love to believe it, but we've been burned by fake "gameplay" footage too many times before.

I think it's telling that when they showed someone playing Spiderman afterwards, it looked like another Ubisoft-style map icon simulator with an Arkham combat system. That's *much* less interesting, and if they'd put that stuff in the showcase I doubt there'd be quite so much excitement surrounding the game.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:28 am

I have never got the excitement over Spiderman games or films. He's never been a character who has appealed to me.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:24 pm

What I was trying to get at was that I just felt they rather unnecessarily sacrificed their normally perfectly executed format all for the sake of one game with a rather overblown gimmicky method to introduce said game that as said was just so far ahead of what we were expecting many are now questioning its true validity. There's looking great and then there's looking too good and every game shown was of such a high production value we are left wondering if they can now even deliver on such lofty expectations and that is something that could seriously come back to hurt Sony at a later date.

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Honestly thought Sony won E3 in the sense it had games that looked interesting, just 4 but that was loads more than all the other shows. I could have sworn it was DLC for Batman, the Spiderman game Raid :lol:

PC show was just nigh on terrible for just showing off Battle Royal games after something else that I sort of tuned out to focus on something else. First game mentioned in it was I think the only high point for me.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:40 pm

PC show only had three BR games, wasn't that bad. I thought it was a pretty good show as it focused on small games that would struggle to get air time otherwise.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:52 pm

Nintendo have got to stop doing these dreadfully boring narrated deep dives into one game in their E3 presentations. SSBU (which is awkwardly named to be confusable with Super Smash Brothers Wii U, although maybe that's intentional given how similar they look) is an important game for Nintendo, and while I was vaguely excited by the prospect of it, I was willing the presentation to end for them to show us something new, but it never came.

No Metroid Prime 4, no new info for the new Pokemon RPGs, a continued lack of information on Octopath Traveller albeit with the announcement of a new demo (I'm getting that I'm more excited about this than most, but the lack of any info is worrying). It was a terrible presentation, not necessarily for what they didn't show, but for the incredibly dull Smash Brothers overload.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:12 pm

Yeah the Smash presentation was too long. That's how you do a deep dive Sony.

I wasn't bothered about no Metroid, they had said ahead of time that this Direct would be 2018 focused. Also Nintendo is unique in that they have regular Directs through the year at which they can show new stuff. So E3 is always going to feel a bit lacking and probably isn't as important to the company as it is to Sony and Microsoft.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:14 pm

There's more new stuff on the Treehouse stream, which followed the Direct presentation. They're doing a hands-on with the Pokemon Let's Go! games shortly.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:07 pm

Smash is totally a port then eh?
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:10 pm

eVoL wrote:Smash is totally a port then eh?

In that every Smash Bros game is a port of the previous game as it's just the same game in a new engine with slight changes. This is being developed in Unreal so it's not just the Wii U version tarted up.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:17 pm

So Cyberpunk 2077 is actually...an fps? :shock:

Cyberpunk 2077 is a first-person shooter. Let that sink in a bit: the next RPG from CD Projekt RED, the successor to The Witcher 3, is going first-person, and almost entirely first-person, we learned from a demo session at E3 today.

While certain cutscenes will play out with a view of your character, who can be either a man or woman, the entirety of the regular game happens in first person. There are still stats that influence your abilities and weapons, and damage is dealt similar to other RPG shooters like Destiny 2 and The Division, with health bars appearing above bad guys and numbers jumping out to show how much damage your bullets are doing.

The only time you'll jump out to a third-person view is when you get in a vehicle.

https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-is-an-fps/

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:37 pm

Sounds a bit like Fallout 4, although you could play that in third person if you're weird. Have CDPR ever done anything with shooting except for Saints Row 2 (technically)?
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Saints Row 2?

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group