Total Biscuit, John Bain RIP

Steamz and moar.
sohei

Re: Total Biscuit, John Bain RIP

Postby sohei » Sun May 27, 2018 12:11 am

Prey wrote:Sorry to hear that man.

Have you guys heard about this David Crooks fella? Some ex Bioware guy basically celebrating the fact TB had passed. I'm lost for words...

https://archive.li/UuEJw

Only read what you need to because trust me it only gets worse. Fucking hell. The guy has since deleted all the tweets and made his account private which is all a bit late because David Crooks' name and his comments are now making the rounds pretty much everywhere with the evidence still intact for everyone to see. Ok sure he didn't like the guy as he critiqued games he had worked on (ME: Andromeda apparently being one of them) but holy shit dude have some decency ffs.

There are some things you just don't do. John Bain's family are in pieces right now and have a long journey through the wilderness of grief before they can eventually start to come to terms with their loss. To have people immediately popping up and publicly crowing about his death is disgusting. David Crook is clearly a garbage human being, and now he will have to live with being remembered as such for a very long time.
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun May 27, 2018 5:40 pm

It's really one of the lowest things you can do and just shows what a vile Edwin you are.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun May 27, 2018 5:59 pm

He's really not sitting on any fences there. Not to defend but him at all he's really butthurt about the guys criticism of titles he's worked on. Doesn't excuse the vile rant. I guess he's taken that criticism very personally to a stupid level. Right minded people don't do this sort of thing especially when the things they write will bite them on the ass for years to come.

He seriously out pinned and sat on it there.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Sun May 27, 2018 7:52 pm

What a fool Crooks is; so quick to point out Bain's "lack of self-awareness" and the amount of people he has "hurt" and the "irresponsibility" of "his voice and the way he wielded it". So, how exactly is his little tirade an improvement on, or a remedy to, any of those accusations? Some day he will die too. What do you think most people will remember him for now?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun May 27, 2018 10:13 pm

That's pretty low. There are people out there without whom the world will be a better place, but a games critic? Get a grip you complete arse.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon May 28, 2018 8:25 am

You have to be pretty detached from reality to be that disconnected about someone dying like that. Almost seems a bit psychopathic or something.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon May 28, 2018 10:22 am

I think there is merit in pointing out a persons flaws when a community turns out to eulogise them, especially in modern culture where nearly everyone becomes a saint once they die and is entitled to an out pouring of grief and a minutes silence at events. However saying you are glad he died and the world is a better place is not the right way to do it and bang out of line.

The whole thing has got me thinking about how society honours those who have died. In a time when we know more about what a person thinks due to social media we have gone even further down the rabbit hole in terms of uncritical acclimation. I agree that his family deserves to be able to grieve, but at the same time should that stop all forms of criticism as people roll out platitudes without taking into consideration what the person was actually like? I'm not saying the two things are directly comparable, but if Paul Nuttal was to die suddenly, would we expect the same kind of regard for his family, or would it be fair to point out the hateful views he professed?

Maybe there is a line and at some point you do enough to cross it that people no longer take into consideration the feelings of your family.

Just to be clear I think this guys is out of line in the way he does this, but I'm not sure it is wrong to point out a persons flaws after they die.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Mon May 28, 2018 12:14 pm

Good point. I suppose it's one thing to point out character flaws in a deceased person, but that could also be done while they're still alive.

It's another thing to celebrate their death.

I can see why people would rejoice at the death of somebody who had committed atrocities, like the death of a genocidal tyrant, but, as Snowy said, a game critic? Really? Priority check required!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon May 28, 2018 12:35 pm

Yeah celebrating his death in this case is just...
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon May 28, 2018 12:45 pm

The poor guys last few weeks sounded terrible, he didn't get to go easy.

sohei

Postby sohei » Mon May 28, 2018 1:11 pm

Animalmother wrote:The poor guys last few weeks sounded terrible, he didn't get to go easy.

It's the most horrific and tragic thing to witness. His family have gone through and continue to go through hell. Have criticisms of him by all means, but to act in this way is only an attack on the family and absolutely despicable. I hope no harm comes to the guy because of this, but he needs to sit down and think long and hard about basic human decency.
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed May 30, 2018 3:18 pm

Sadly it seems that there is some sort of owed tax and his family may have to sell the house to pay for it. As Genna mentioned it in the latest podcast. Didn't watch it and it's not been put up on youtube still.

Real kicker after what's happened :(
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed May 30, 2018 6:54 pm

They'll crowd fund it. Bet my pension on it.

Previous

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group