Total Biscuit, John Bain RIP

Steamz and moar.
Lee

Total Biscuit, John Bain RIP

Postby Lee » Fri May 25, 2018 3:40 am

TB passed away today from his battle with cancer. Love him or hate him he did a lot for the gaming community and did some really nice WTF on various games.

34 is too young a age to go RIP.

PS Don't do what TB did and dismiss bleeding heavily and being constipated till it's too late. See a doctor and get it fixed asap.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

eVoL

Re: Total Biscuit, John Bain RIP

Postby eVoL » Fri May 25, 2018 4:41 am

That’s a damn shame :(
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri May 25, 2018 5:05 am

He was certainly influential sad loss.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri May 25, 2018 5:07 am

While I was never a huge fan of TB I do strongly believe that he paved the way for a new breed of Youtuber and without his direct influence I doubt we would have some of today's best critical thinkers and some of my favourite channels including Cleanprincegaming, Downward Thrust, YongYea, Whitelight and more. He made the gaming medium something that could be deconstructed almost like a fine wine and you would just sit and eat it all up no matter the length of the video in question either largely nodding or shaking your head at or a bit of both. His WTF is...series set a new bar for lengthier in depth and more importantly for me more pc centric critiques that could last as long as 1-2 hours and it was primarily his always on point insight (whether you agreed or not there was always a lofty amount of insider/hobbyist knowledge) and his instantly recognisable voice just carried you right the way through.

Like him or hate him his influence goes without question especially in terms of within the PC gaming community. The guy was a titan in that and many other regards and will be missed dearly.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri May 25, 2018 5:47 am

Ah shit, that's a real shame :(

I watched a lot of his videos, particularly the reviews - I didn't have any problem with his personality, main complaint really was how long the vids were, but at least you couldn't accuse him of not being thorough.

Really sad news, RIP
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri May 25, 2018 8:20 am

Damn, that's young. RIP.

Like a lot of people I could only view his vids in small doses, but there's no doubting he succeeded in establishing himself and getting his voice heard in the gaming world.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri May 25, 2018 8:50 am

I never really got on with his style and thought he had some questionable views, but it's never nice to see someone die so young.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri May 25, 2018 9:13 am

Similar to Prey's sentiments, I really enjoyed his videos at first as he paved the way for proper in-depth reviews, which are now plentiful, but stopped listening to him when others were more polished or got to the point quicker. It is always sad to see someone younger than you die. I was always think about what life they could have enjoyed. It only makes me more appreciative I am alive and well.

I wish his family all the best for the future

On a side note guys - if you have your own family or have property - make a Will and try not to change it for 7 years if you want your kids to avoid inheritance tax !!!!
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Fri May 25, 2018 11:18 am

34, Jesus Christ. I've got clothing older than that.
Poor bloke. :cry:

sohei

Postby sohei » Fri May 25, 2018 11:37 am

That's way too goddamn young. Cancer is a fucker. RIP John Bain.
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri May 25, 2018 1:55 pm

One good thing that will come from this is that it will raise awareness not to ignore the signs as TB even admits himself that he did for far too long and thus raising his own risks of it taking a hold. He started by feeling constipated or having loose stools and later bleeding profusely when he went and again he put it down to simply stress related issues which sadly as we know it wasn't. While I mourn his loss what with him very much being a pioneer in the industry that we know today I can't help but feel that it perhaps could have been preventable had he made the proper arrangements sooner. Mistakes were clearly made and the risk was greater than he ever would have anticipated sadly he even called himself an idiot for the way he handled it all.

Don't be embarrassed, don't become yet another unnecessary statistic as TB now has. Being aware of bodily symptoms can literally save your life.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Fri May 25, 2018 4:10 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:I never really got on with his style and thought he had some questionable views, but it's never nice to see someone die so young.

Yep, especially with him having a young family too. Cancer is a bastard.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat May 26, 2018 8:08 am

A real shame, I wasn't his greatest fan but have watched a lot of his videos irrespective, and as others have said he was an influential voice and will be missed.

RIP, cancer is indeed a Edwin.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

sohei

Postby sohei » Sat May 26, 2018 3:26 pm

Prey wrote:One good thing that will come from this is that it will raise awareness not to ignore the signs as TB even admits himself that he did for far too long and thus raising his own risks of it taking a hold. He started by feeling constipated or having loose stools and later bleeding profusely when he went and again he put it down to simply stress related issues which sadly as we know it wasn't. While I mourn his loss what with him very much being a pioneer in the industry that we know today I can't help but feel that it perhaps could have been preventable had he made the proper arrangements sooner. Mistakes were clearly made and the risk was greater than he ever would have anticipated sadly he even called himself an idiot for the way he handled it all.

Don't be embarrassed, don't become yet another unnecessary statistic as TB now has. Being aware of bodily symptoms can literally save your life.

You're absolutely right here pal. My younger brother died under pretty much identical circumntances last year aged just 31, so TB's passing has brought up a lot of painful memories and feelings. Bowel cancer is a tricky one to diagnose, it can't easily be spotted in a CAT scan and blood test results can also be unreliable as an indicator. I think both patient and doctor have to be conscientious about thoroughly examining the available evidence when seeking a diagnosis. I would say to anyone who is worried about their current health that it's perfectly ok if you disagree with a diagnosis and seek a second opinion should your fears not be satisfactorily addressed.

RIB John Bain. Enjoy it while it lasts folks, it can be snatched away when you least expect it.
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat May 26, 2018 10:26 pm

Sorry to hear that man.

Have you guys heard about this David Crooks fella? Some ex Bioware guy basically celebrating the fact TB had passed. I'm lost for words...

https://archive.li/UuEJw

Only read what you need to because trust me it only gets worse. Fucking hell. The guy has since deleted all the tweets and made his account private which is all a bit late because David Crooks' name and his comments are now making the rounds pretty much everywhere with the evidence still intact for everyone to see. Ok sure he didn't like the guy as he critiqued games he had worked on (ME: Andromeda apparently being one of them) but holy shit dude have some decency ffs.

Next

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group