'Gaming Disorder' Addiction Ruling Coming?

Steamz and moar.
Prey
Admin

'Gaming Disorder' Addiction Ruling Coming?

Postby Prey » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:43 pm

According to the World Health Organization gaming addiction will soon be sat side by side with gambling addiction as an actual disease...

"Gaming Disorder" may soon be classified as an addictive behavior by the World Health Organization, which listed it alongside gambling disorder in a beta draft of its International Classification of Diseases for 2018. The proposed diagnosis has been listed under "disorders due to substance use or addictive behaviors," and is further detailed as "mental and behavioral disorders that develop as a result of the use of predominantly psychoactive substances, including medications, or specific repetitive rewarding and reinforcing behaviors."

http://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-disorder- ... anization/

As soon as I mentioned this to Kath she instantly brought up how I was once addicted to WoW which in fairness I was although I actually only played it for a maximum of 7 hours at the most extreme level. I told her if she looked on Steam there are folk out there who have played over 1000 hours on some games which dwarfs my current max 150-160 hours that I have played on the likes of DOOM etc. She genuinely has no idea just how casual my gaming habits are these days compared to how it once was and especially compared to many out there. Still when a woman thinks she's right...
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Asherons

Re: 'Gaming Disorder' Addiction Ruling Coming?

Postby Asherons » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:51 pm

Sign me up

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:53 pm

I believe they mean gaming in the gambling sense.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:21 pm

Totally addicted also.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:28 pm

WHO expert defends gaming disorder listing: "This moral panic lives its own life"...

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... s-own-life

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:40 am

That was my main concern that WHO are 'picking' on gaming but that professor guy mentioned this :
Some people may play excessively as a method of coping with other mental health issues,
. So gaming is a sympton not the cause.

I know that if I play more than normal it's normally down to a stressful day ahead at work that I'd rather not think about.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:05 am

I wouldn't say I play games as a coping method for anxiety, but gaming is absolutely effective at relaxing/calming me (as are films, reading and many other things). I also don't play more if I'm more anxious - probably the opposite, in fact. Obviously what's true for me isn't true for everyone, but I think it's easy to confuse gaming as a symptom of mental health issues with gaming as a treatment of mental health issues.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:40 pm

Gaming was always a great way to relax and blow off some steam from work. So much better than sitting in front of a TV to unwind in my opinion.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group