Animalmother

Re: Let's Play... Battle Brothers!

Postby Animalmother » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Well...fuck.... :x

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:26 pm

katarn wrote:By the way Sly, thanks for doing this. I've decided I'll definitely be picking it up myself now. Might never have occurred to me if you hadn't raised attention to it.

It is cracking good fun, and you really do let out a 'Nooooooo' when one of your valued scrappers bites the dust.

I like to think of Snowy, in his dying moments, dragging his axe down the mail links of his armour while groaning "fuck you Jeeezzzzzzz *urgh*"

Live fast, die gloriously, and leave a mangled corpse. It's the only way ;)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Animalmother wrote:Well...fuck.... :x

I won't lie, it was an ignoble death. A lightly-armed bandit with a toothpick-sized knife and he takes you down after you'd missed him about four times on the trot. I mean, ffs dude :lol:
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:44 pm

Me Mum thought me hair looked good...

It's a shame that Snowy didn't learn from my example of how to take a blow to the head (the trick is to bend your neck away from the blow rather than trying to block it with your face).

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:06 pm

Snowy wrote:
katarn wrote:By the way Sly, thanks for doing this. I've decided I'll definitely be picking it up myself now. Might never have occurred to me if you hadn't raised attention to it.

It is cracking good fun, and you really do let out a 'Nooooooo' when one of your valued scrappers bites the dust.

I like to think of Snowy, in his dying moments, dragging his axe down the mail links of his armour while groaning "fuck you Jeeezzzzzzz *urgh*"

Live fast, die gloriously, and leave a mangled corpse. It's the only way ;)

*swift kick to the ribs. "be quiet imbecile, yer ancestors are missin' yer"

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:11 pm

And I'm thinking this might be a suitable juncture to end this Let's Play. It's been a lot of fun, but it's also taken a lot of time (especially sorting the battle photos into the correct order and then remembering what happened!) - and I feel like I've reached my key objectives, namely telling a few amusing anecdotes involving forumites cheating and occasionally succumbing to death, raising awareness of a hidden gem of a game and persuading a few to take the plunge along with me.

Not sure what you guys think of that idea?

We've started to lose people, and we've entered a quite attritional phase of the game. Basically, the training wheels have come off, enemies are getting harder and we're going to lose people, and there's a good chance all our income will be spent recruiting and equipping new bods, only to see them instantly struck down because they can't get to a high enough level to survive long enough.

Playing the game for fun I'd absolutely continue, the challenge of getting over that hump is part of the fun, but for the purposes of a Let's Play I think a lot of the fun comes from seeing Jez or Raid down enemies and the stories that spring from that, rather than one of the many Albrechts or Donberts that litter the game. I thought about renaming new recruits after fallen members, but again I think that would cheapen deaths rather than prolong interest.

In any case, I hope you've all been suitably entertained, which was my main reason for doing this :)
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:35 pm

I'd certainly continue reading if you were to keep going with the Let's Play, but given my recent experience with Rimworld I'm fully aware of how this format can slow down the enjoyment of the game, so I understand if you'd prefer to leave it there. You've made me consider buying the game, which for me should always be a side-objective of one of these things.

It'd be neat if we could maybe find a better solution to writing and publishing these things. I think Imgur was a big improvement over posting them directly on the forum, but it's still a fairly slow process.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:00 pm

Raid wrote:I'd certainly continue reading if you were to keep going with the Let's Play, but given my recent experience with Rimworld I'm fully aware of how this format can slow down the enjoyment of the game, so I understand if you'd prefer to leave it there. You've made me consider buying the game, which for me should always be a side-objective of one of these things.

It'd be neat if we could maybe find a better solution to writing and publishing these things. I think Imgur was a big improvement over posting them directly on the forum, but it's still a fairly slow process.

Yeah, big improvement, but for some reason it kept uploading all the images into an album in a random order... it literally took me about three hours today to sort out that long episode and write the captions!

I might play on a little bit and see if anything noteworthy occurs, will see.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:18 pm

Oh yeah, that's fine Sly. You've done more than enough to show the game's merits.

I know what you mean about Let's Play's; I started one for XCOM Apocalypse a few years back on here and I stopped writing up the battles after a couple of pages. I then went on & pumped 70 hours into the game and enjoyed playing it at my own pace.

Although we did join in with a little roleplaying along the way here, which was fun. :D

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:47 pm

When you mouse over the company members, it gives you a little running tally about how they've done. I thought it would be a nice conclusion to this LP if we take a look at each in turn, starting with the longest-serving.

Raid: With the company from the very beginning. He took part in 12 battles and has 13 kills. Most powerful opponent vanquished: Brigand Raider.
Katarn: With the company from the very beginning. He took part in 12 battles and has 4 kills. Most powerful opponent vanquished: Brigand Thug.
Jez: With the company for 13 days. Took part in 11 battles and has 15 kills. Most powerful opponent: Brigand Raider.
Mantis: With the company for 13 days. Took part in 11 battles and has 5 kills. Most powerful opponent: Brigand Raider.
Wrathbone: With the company for 5 days. Took part in 5 battles and has 6 kills. Most powerful opponent: Brigand Raider.
DjchunKfunK: With the company for 5 days. Took part in 5 battles and has 2 kills. Most powerful opponent: Brigand Raider.
Reinhold: No-one really gives a shit. 2 days, 2 battles, no kills.

Fallen brethren:

Snowy: In the company for 10 days, with 12 kills in 10 battles. Clubbed to death by a Brigand Raider.
Animalmother: In the company for 11 days, with 7 kills in 9 battles. Stabbed by a Brigand Thug.

AWOL:

Erik: Missing, presumed eaten.

Final resting place of Prey's Posse:

We salute you, you magnificent bastards.

My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:26 pm

Thanks sly for doing that was lots of fun mainly because of your narration mate :lol:

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:35 pm

You're very welcome! :D
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Only 4 kills in 12 battles. :oops:

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:17 pm

katarn wrote:Only 4 kills in 12 battles. :oops:

But on the plus side... yeah, but no. It wasn't great :lol:
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:38 pm

Just goes to show, it all falls apart without Snowy.

Nice one on the narration. I like to think we were ambushed by bandits on our last contract and all went down fighting to the bitter end.

Let's plays are always hard to balance between having enough continuity that characters stick around long enough and actually providing a challenge where anything could go wrong at a moment's notice.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group