Your Controversial Gaming Opinions

Steamz and moar.
DjchunKfunK

Your Controversial Gaming Opinions

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:01 am

I've stolen this idea from another forum. Basically what are opinions you hold about games that are different to the general consensus or just downright controversial. Here are a few of mine.

The GTA series is incredibly overrated and Rockstar haven't made a good game since Vice City.

Bloodborne is not really a Souls game.

Super Mario Bros 2 is the best 2D Mario game.

Overwatch is a poor man's Team Fortress 2.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Your Controversial Gaming Opinions

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:08 am

Anachronox is the best game ever made bar none.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:36 am

Some of my controversial/unpopular opinions are quite dated now, like Far Cry 2 being better than Far Cry, etc.

The only recent-ish game I can think of is Dragon Age:Inquisition. I think it's a genuinely great game and the most enjoyable RPG I've played in donkey's years.

I also have a slightly 'take it or leave it' view of Witcher3, which really puts me in deep trouble round these parts, but then... I played through it around the time I quit the hobby for a year or so. So I'm not sure if my indifference towards it is genuine or just a side-effect of my general disinterest in gaming around that time.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:04 pm

Mario Sunshine was better than Mario 64.
Mario 3 was the best 2D Mario.
Crash Bandicoot's PS1 platformers were absolutely awful.
I have difficulty playing The Witcher 3 because I hate Geralt's gravelly stereotypical-hero voice.

And of course the big one;

Quake 3 was better than Unreal Tournament.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:26 pm

:-k

Universe At War is the best RTS ever made.
The Division is a far better game than both Destinys combined.
PubG is not a good game in the slightest and will be mostly forgotten about in a years time.
The joycons are the worst controller to ship with a console since the Jaguar.
The best Zeldas, by a long shot, were made by Capcom...... and a Link Between Worlds is one of the worst.
Eve is the only good MMO.
The WiiU is worth owning.
Microtransactions replacing player segmenting DLC packs is one of the better changes recently.
The Vitas library is far better than the 3DS.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:24 pm

eVoL wrote:The joycons are the worst controller to ship with a console since the Jaguar.

Oh c'mon, worse than the Wii's (so few controls that devs needed to assign traditional button presses to waggle functions)? Worse than the Dreamcast's (which forced your wrists together)?

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:40 pm

Don't know if you'd call it controversial, but Nintendo should stop making hardware.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:42 pm

Raid wrote:
eVoL wrote:The joycons are the worst controller to ship with a console since the Jaguar.

Oh c'mon, worse than the Wii's (so few controls that devs needed to assign traditional button presses to waggle functions)? Worse than the Dreamcast's (which forced your wrists together)?
The Wii has ergonomics and decent sized buttons and a dpad and a semi accurate stick, even if it was just the one. I feel the 3DS and vitas sticks are better from both feel and accuracy and I hated both of them at first. Dreamcast I never had a problem with though!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Medicine Man wrote:Don't know if you'd call it controversial, but Nintendo should stop making hardware.

Maybe controversial at the moment because the Switch seems to be quite popular, but I think you're probably right, if only because of their appalling integration of online functionality.

I haven't tried a 3DS, but I always found the Vita's sticks too small to use comfortably, and placed so that the console never felt entirely comfortable to hold if you were using them. It maybe would have been better had I used Playstation controllers more than the XBox's, the stick placement on which I vastly preferred. The Wiimote felt nice if you were only using the A + B buttons, the D-pad was always slightly too high for me to use without shifting my hand from where the controller felt best. I've never had any issue whatsoever with the accuracy of the Joycon sticks; are you sure yours are working correctly?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:09 pm

if only because of their appalling integration of online functionality.

Not sure this is greatly hindering them at the moment due to the types of games they predominantly make.

I'm firmly of the belief that Nintendo making games for other hardware would lead to very different games, possibly inferior ones. The design of their hardware often drives their creativity.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:23 pm

I loved Red Faction.

I think games like GTA et al are utter wank

Deus Ex is over rated.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:06 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:I'm firmly of the belief that Nintendo making games for other hardware would lead to very different games, possibly inferior ones. The design of their hardware often drives their creativity.

I’m 100% the opposite opinion. Galaxy would have been way better without pointer and motion (as Dolphin proves!), Metroid Prime 3 would have been better with twin stick or even GameCube controls, spirit tracks would have been better if it just didn’t exist etc... bending their games around system gimmicks has rarely worked with only a few exceptions.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:13 pm

Got to agree that I'd prefer if Nintendo stopped making hardware. Their gimmicks have not done their games many favours over the years, they simply serve to lock in the team who are then forced to design around whatever limitations the hardware is presenting.

Nintendo's dev team creativity on consoles as powerful as the Xbox and PS4, hell even on PC, would be something very interesting to behold.

Jez wrote:I think games like GTA et al are utter wank

What, like open world games? Or games that parody real life? Or story-driven, third person action?

GTA is a lot of things and borrows from many genres! If you thought everything that went into them was wank then you'd probably not enjoy very many other games at all.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:33 pm

Raid wrote:
Medicine Man wrote:. I've never had any issue whatsoever with the accuracy of the Joycon sticks; are you sure yours are working correctly?

It's how short the throw is, it goes from centre to full throw in about half a cm. it's almost digital (mild exaggeration -_-). It's only a little annoying in Mario but I can't imagine playing doom would be fun without shelling out silly amounts for a pro.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Mantis wrote:Got to agree that I'd prefer if Nintendo stopped making hardware. Their gimmicks have not done their games many favours over the years, they simply serve to lock in the team who are then forced to design around whatever limitations the hardware is presenting.

Nintendo's dev team creativity on consoles as powerful as the Xbox and PS4, hell even on PC, would be something very interesting to behold.

Jez wrote:I think games like GTA et al are utter wank

What, like open world games? Or games that parody real life? Or story-driven, third person action?

GTA is a lot of things and borrows from many genres! If you thought everything that went into them was wank then you'd probably not enjoy very many other games at all.

I'm not a fan of the ubi style open world games with the icon splurge etc speaking from a general point of view this would also include watchdogs and saints row series as another example. Witcher 3 was also open world to a large extent but I loved that of course. I dislike the style of the GTA games, personally it feels trashy and well lower class if I'm honest :lol:

Next

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group