Your Controversial Gaming Opinions

Steamz and moar.
eVoL

Re: Your Controversial Gaming Opinions

Postby eVoL » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:18 pm

GTA is a bad game masked by the open world. Witcher is a good game enhanced by its open world.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:20 pm

Sounds about right to me mate :mrgreen:

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:22 pm

Lower class? :lol:

I sort of get what you mean, but it does have appeal beyond chav circles. :P

That said, GTAIV is my favourite and whilst it isn't short on dick jokes and swearing, it was still their biggest attempt at making something a bit darker and grittier and I think the story benefited from it a lot. GTAV just left me cold, but I think that may have been more to do with the half the development time was spent on Online as much as it was the mediocre writing and characters.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Yeah I know I know....its an awful way to say it but "chav" is probably more accurate for what I wanted to say. :lol:

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:32 pm

I loved GTA5 tbh. :/
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:34 pm

They've always appealed to me for reasons beyond what your average chav player would probably pick up. I'm not so sure about 5, but the older games were certainly more intelligent than they appeared. They were very good spoofs of classic gangster and mafia movies.

Mission design has always been where Rockstar have never quite lived up to the same standard, they did a better job on 5 than in past games to an extent but the whole game just lacked content overall because so much of it was dumped into Online. I'm not saying it was a bad game, but it is the only GTA entry that I've never completed more than once.

The soundtracks went a long way in contributing to the overall feel of each game and I think 5 falls flat there too.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:09 pm

The radio in Vice City was easily the best in the series.
My face is tired.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:39 pm

Crysis, while being a fun game is nothing special.

Max Payne 3 was great.

Deadspace 3 was a really good game.

Turn based games are bollocks.

I also really liked GTA V...

Tank

Postby Tank » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:48 am

I think Gaming is actually in a really good place right now, I just think too much trust is put in "independent" critics who make an awful lot of money focusing on controversy.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:14 am

Mafia III is the best game in the series as well as an infinitely superior game to GTA V which no matter how much I played I failed to truly connect with on any real level.

MIII has better missions, a vastly better story, far better characterisation with so many memorable characters and moments and a much more lived in and authentic feeling game world. Not only that but the 2nd and 3rd DLC drops for it are even better than the main campaign which I personally loved to bits. Lincoln Clay is the best and most relatable main protagonist of recent times.

Chaser is still awesome.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:18 am

Tank wrote:I think Gaming is actually in a really good place right now, I just think too much trust is put in "independent" critics who make an awful lot of money focusing on controversy.

I agree on the whole with this. The big companies are doing their thing, some things great and some things questionable. The indy lot are fonking out games left right and centre.

All good.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:00 am

I think RPG levelling has no place outside of rpgs. It serves so propose other than to gate progress, stop players playing together and artificially pad the length of games with grinding. If you can complete a task in a real time game shouldn't be down to how much of your life you've wasted in the game, it should be down to your skill. A day 1 player should be able to raid in Destiny with the only gate being have they reached the right part in the story campaign. A day 1 Division AK47 should do the same damage as a 100hour AK47. I'm fine with loot, slight stat mods, look, feel etc.. but when games are becoming more about grinding than being on a level playing field they can get fucked.

Injustice 2, Destiny, Division and For Honor all spring to mind for recent examples. Injustice 2 might actually be the worst offender. All would have been better with a level playing field.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:59 am

I played the division but I was in no way going to grind my time online away. I played through the campaign with others and player a fair bit of the pvp side but ultimately I wasn't going to keep going back to it. That's soul destroying and I refuse to spend my time allowed doing it.

I suppose that this is what I'm afraid of with buying battlefront 2 but we'll see what mantis says about it during the trial thing. If he can be convinced then I'll definitely get it.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:15 pm

I think it works better in some games than others. The Division was utter tosh, because in the realistic world they'd built, having to put ten shots from an assault rifle into a guy's skull to kill him was absurd. In Borderlands though, the world they built is so absurd anyway that it makes little difference. Also, with Borderlands 2 not having a persistent world, you had the option of using a third-party character creator to quickly catch up for multiplayer games.

katarn

Postby katarn » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:17 pm

I mentioned it in my Call of Pripyat write-up in the Currently Playing thread the other day.

They could have so easily implemented levelling, but instead had you spending the game finding tools and artifacts to incrementally improve your chances. Much more organic than choosing where you want to spend XP points in a separate screen.

That said, I still love XP levelling as much as anyone in RPGs. That little thrill you get when it happens. It's nice.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group