Microtransactions

Steamz and moar.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Microtransactions

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Lee wrote:Will see how it goes but I suspect the publishers and gaming industry to start lobbying like mad so they can keep milking us.

WB: Lets screw the game with lootboxes...

Gamers: Fucking hell

EA: Hold my beer.

Everyone: WTF!

I knew Wrathbone was not to be trusted! :x
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:10 am

I will have your precious pennies, gullible fools! :twisted:
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:23 pm

Wow, they just won't learn will they?

https://www.astutegaming.com/single-pos ... TSUFC3BETA

Every single technique, ability, fighter, and stat roll, is entirely acquired and upgraded through the loot box system.

Pressing the square button to throw a punch at an opponent, quite literally the simplest and most obvious mechanic in an MMA game, perfectly exemplifies the absurdity of the microtransactions in question. A base level jab will do minimal damage to online opponents, however a fighter that purchases a loot box and acquires a five-star rarity level jab, will not only have a more efficient and powerful technique in combat, but will also be treated to a host of stat increases in all regards, making their player undeniably better in every scenario.

Microtransactions are also the only means of acquiring perks and boosts. Perks are powerful abilities that can be equipped for a small number of fights before expiring. They can range from a low-level stamina improvement during a certain phase, whether that be striking, grappling or ground game, to a significant hit point increase during pivotal health events, wherein your opponent has damaged you enough to potentially end the fight. Boosts on the other hand are similarly temporary enhancements that offer endurance boosts and durability bonuses. It is clear to see that in combination with technique enhancements and overall stat increases, EA has taken every single aspect of genuine competition and buried it.

Keep that share price falling.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:47 pm

Speechless...
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:48 pm

Good. I want EA to piss off their major franchise owners. Star Wars / Disney, UFC, let's hope FIFA is next.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:31 pm

In the same vein loot boxes similar to those in Battlefront 2 are being added to Paladins.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... loot-boxes
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Tank

Postby Tank » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:44 am

I am starting to feel that perhaps games aren't for me any more.

It does sincerely feel like a point of no return has been passed for me and I can't really see it getting any better.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:16 pm

Just don't buy anything put out by EA, Activision or Take Two. There's still plenty of great stuff out there on the indie and AA scene.

I think ultimately we're going to end up with the biggest publishers adapting this 'games as a service' stance with microtransactions at the core of everything, but there will be a small renaissance among mid sized and small developers as they pick up customers who won't be playing AAA titles anymore.

Hellblade Sacrifice is a good example of a medium sized team of 20 people spending $20mil or so to make a self contained excellent game. The future is bright for developers like that who focus on putting out quality content and manage to control their development costs.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:48 pm

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... to-service

The essence of the argument here is that they are here to stay and we have to change. It's like it or lump it.

Personally if this is the way big games are going I will be playing a lot of older games and retro games in the future.
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:53 pm

There's always going to be a large market of people who don't want "games as a service".

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:03 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-12-01-ea-trips-up-on-the-path-from-product-to-service

The essence of the argument here is that they are here to stay and we have to change. It's like it or lump it.

Personally if this is the way big games are going I will be playing a lot of older games and retro games in the future.

Argue all they want, this cynical moneygrubbing and devaluing of game purchases will cause many, myself included, to vote with our wallets.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Tank

Postby Tank » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:11 pm

But thats the trouble, "We" don't matter any more. We are not the audience this sort of bullshit is aimed at any more. Its aimed at much younger people who don't know any better and won't before it too late.

Always remember that EA nearly pulled Battlefield 1 purely on the basis that they were concerned their audience wouldn't know what World War 1 was. That to me either suggests they think there audience is a dumb as rocks or too young to know enough of history and whilst the cynic in me wants to think it was both it was probably the age thing.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:36 pm

I have just seen the physical numbers for COD and SW for the US market and all I can say is WOW in both counts.

One did very very well and one didn't - like really bad. I leave you to decide which one.

Tank

Postby Tank » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:41 pm

Are we talking numbers that will make an actual difference (i.e enough to make someone realise something isn't right) or just a drop that can be laughed off despite making us all go wow.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:47 pm

These are just the physical numbers but I would be worried. The decline from last year is significant and not in trend with digital uplift

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group