Microtransactions

Steamz and moar.
Sly Boots
MILF

Microtransactions

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:10 pm

There's been a fair bit of discussion on this issue in a few different threads recently, thought I'd start this one so that anything related could go in one place and hopefully further the discussion a bit more on what's become a pretty heated topic.

To kick us off, how about Activision patenting a match-making system that makes players more likely to buy loot-crates?

Activision have created a matchmaking system which would attempt to put players in situations where they’re more likely to spend money on microtransaction items. Perhaps it would match you against a great player with a fancy gun so you’d want to buy that gun and emulate that success. Or if you’ve already bought a fancy gun, it might put you in matches where that weapon is especially effective to make the purchase seem better. Welcome to hellfuture! Hurry up and bring your jukebox money. Activision, who publish games from Call of Duty to Destiny and are corporate siblings with Blizzard, swear blind they aren’t using this system in any current game. They have been granted a patent for it, though.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/1 ... ore-486143
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Re: Microtransactions

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Saw that Activision patent yesterday it is horrendous.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:53 pm

There's only one possible good explanation for this, and that's that they patented it to stop anyone from actually putting it into use. I wouldn't believe that for a second of course, it's too much negative publicity for a selfless act. You can only assume therefore that they do actually intend to use it.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:10 pm

It's Activision, of course they're going to use it.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Honestly I stopped paying attention to publishers years ago, so I don't know what the evil rankings are.

Here's a lovely flowchart to explain how the process works, and just to show exactly how cynical the concept is:

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Not once have I ever paid attention to what cool camo pattern the guy who just killed me was using, nor have I ever wished I could be so rad just like him.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Isn't the future great.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:22 pm

Quite a selection of articles on this subject have cropped up on Eurogamer lately.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... netisation

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... y-cash-out

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... loot-boxes

Just from the last few days. If this controversy sticks around long enough it might actually make people care about it.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:22 am

Ah the vile onward march of Marketing.

I remember doing a project once to implement a dialler, a vile piece of technology that spams phone calls, with only those calls being answered being connected to a sales adviser.

I pointed out to the marketing bods who were driving the piece that they would need to add in a step to their process to screen the telephone database against TPS (telephone preference service) only to be asked by one of them what it was. When I explained, they exclaimed what a great idea that was as they hated unsolicited calls.

"But.... If you hate them... Don't you realise everyone does? Why on earth are you causing them?" says me. They looked at me like I was an idiot.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Asherons

Postby Asherons » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:01 pm

Micro transactions are a cancer to the industry. I've stopped pre-ordering games and really am not even comfortable buying games when they are released because they never meet expectation until they have released all their expansion packs. especially with big name titles i steer clear cause they usually are the worst culprits of trying to milk the gamer buyer dry.

Edit:
When I went and bought the new south park game they asked me if I wanted to buy 1. A pillow(lol), 2. A a season pass to the game. 3. A power rewards subscription and 4. Asked if I wanted to pre order some game coming out soon.

They try to get at your wallet any time you interact with em

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:08 am

Yeah I am guessing that in the US you really get sold to. Here in the UK there is an inherent attitude of the populace of "Fuck off and go away" to any overt friendliness from shop workers and salespeople in general that has stopped the US trend of "You have a nice day now" from taking off. Also the fact that our major games chain over-extended and went largely broke, causing most high-street stores to close.

Digital distribution for me all the way :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:53 pm

Call of Duty WW2 has a daily quest where you need to watch other people open their lootboxes.

I always disliked daily quests in games like WoW. Unless they're actually fun to do, then they just feel like pointless busywork. This however is something else; this is somewhere between massively cynical and pure evil. "Look at what fabulous prizes your friends are getting! You could get them too, we just need your card number, billing address and CVN!"

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:24 pm

Sad to see but this is the gaming community now, they will lap it up and the next horrible shitty thing will come around.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:45 pm

Microtransactions coming to all future Take 2 titles according to their CEO.

"We've said that we aim to have recurrent consumer spending opportunities for every title that we put out at this company. It may not always be an online model, it probably won't always be a virtual currency model, but there will be some ability to engage in an ongoing basis with our titles after release across the board."
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:26 pm

I'm certainly going to be saving a lot of money on this hobby in future with all these publishers whose games I will actively be avoiding.

Next

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group