Visceral to shut down

Steamz and moar.
DjchunKfunK

Re: Visceral to shut down

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:39 am

Not sure what you are getting at. For AAA titles the marketing budget is often around the same as the development budget.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:52 am

I'm highlighting where the wastage in money is and how we keep on hearing how this or that game fails to make much of a profit for said publishers or was a loss. They expect it to hit silly numbers in sales to recoup the lot and some more from what other sales disaster they have had that year.

Brain is bit muddle at the moment :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:13 pm

No amount of marketing could have saved Dead Space 3 from the fact that they took a fantastic horror franchise and tried turning it into a faster paced more action cooperative experience.

I'm not sure about the second game, but it's apparent that every EA release suffers from the fact that they are always desperate to turn it into a blockbuster smash hit, and not every game is suitable for that. They really ruined things by the time they got to the third instalment, microtransactions and all.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:22 pm

I'm not sure where the waste was, as has been discussed before $60m for a top tier title is not silly money.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:09 pm

Jerry Holkins had unusually harsh things to say in today's Penny Arcade about this subject. It's worth reading the associated blog post too. He's a writer, so it's not unexpected that he'd react negatively to this, but I can't help but agree with him.

I would very much like a new single-player or co-op Star Wars game. There's *so much* potential in the franchise, but the license is just going to waste away in the hands of EA. My only hope, other than Disney deciding that the license isn't being utilised properly and giving it to someone else, is that Bioware abandon Mass Effect and decide to do a new Star Wars RPG.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:56 pm

Bioware are busy with NotDestiny, which is going to take up a couple more years of their time or longer if it's successful.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:17 pm

I can't see Disney pulling the plug on EA unless their deal becomes financially unacceptable. I'm not sure they really care about making quality games so long as that loot box dollar keeps rolling in.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:55 pm

Such a shame. Loved the Dead Space series very much.

Told a great story with some properly tense atmosphere throughout. Will replay the entire trilogy at some point as a homage.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:04 am

There is still the Respawn Star Wars game so there is still a chance we get a single player story focused Star Wars game.

Previous

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group