Would you delete your Steam account

Steamz and moar.
Lee

Re: Would you delete your Steam account

Postby Lee » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:03 pm

Comments on Youtube can be have been censored if the channel so wishes to do it. You can blacklist a load of words to your liking on it if you like. Youtube is also now a shitty place because of the bots demonetize everything left/right and center. Harming quite a lot of good family friendly channels at that. So bots aren't a solution and more damaging than human intervention.

This is just a problem when you start to get into the millions of people of various beliefs/thoughts and practices all being able to comment on anything they find.

There is no solution for it I think.

Also I may add who gets to define hate speech? As I see hate speech being used to refer to mere mundane of things in life being talked about.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Solitaire

Postby Solitaire » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:22 pm

What strikes me about it all is how incredibly innocent things were, back when Steam came about and half the internet at the time clamored about having a single company holding all our gamez and the rest of us thinking it was a grand idea (I'm in this camp), and who the fuck could have projected into the future how debased the entire business has become? Internet, facebook, etc etc etc . . . We're all our own worst enemies, whatever perspective we're coming from. We just wanna play games? well then how are you possibly ignoring crush pron? Just wanna hook up with your clan and get in that tourney? but half your dudes are neo-fascist wanna-be's... There's no sense of adventure anymore, no simplicity, no wonderment. It's a big huge beautiful scoop of ice cream with caramel sauce, sitting on top of a plate of vomit.

Who here remembers the explosion across the internet when Valve showed off the HL2 tech demo? Those of us that were looking for this shit practically fainted in delight and fanboyism. There is just no such thing anymore and it makes me very, very sad.

My signature is like a time capsule from the Wild West of the internet :o

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:25 pm

I think it is a bit different to the internet being full of the same crap as nobody can moderate the internet, but valve could do something about hate groups. However I think the only reasonable thing you can expect from something that is so large as Steam is that as soon as Valve are made aware of this type of stuff they get rid of them. Expecting them to constantly check that every group setup and every forum post has not got some kind of odious stuff in it is asking way too much.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:19 am

I think that's the point of the article. People have pointed out actual hate groups operating on Steam, or users who are actively violating behaviour rules. And all Valve seems to do is shrug, mumble something about T&C, then do nothing.

That's the problem. It's not that they can't moderate Steam. It's that they don't moderate Steam.
End of an Era

katarn

Postby katarn » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:04 pm

The thing is, there is no practical way to moderate such a vast online community. It's very easy to get round word filters, etc.

IMDB had a sort of similar issue with their masses of inhouse discussion boards - they couldn't justify the expense of moderating them properly, and weren't happy with the amount of non-compliant statements/points of view being associated directly with their site, so they just pulled the plug on the whole lot.

Not sure what Valve can do that's similar to that, since the community is a much more integral part of it.

I can see Youtube/Google removing the ability to comment on videos some point soon though.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:48 am

I can say that absolutely nothing would convince me to delete my Steam account, far too much money invested there.

From reading that article, it does sound as though Steam have a case to answer here. Any arena that has users in the millions and freely available options to create discussions on the fly is always going to have it's cesspools, but simply allowing those to propagate unchecked is not an option. In creating the space, Valve has a duty of care I think. Sure, it will be a whack-a-mole type approach, but given that Steam users generally have a vested interest i.e. a library of games, if Valve implement the kind of sanctions that they should for T&C violations - account bans and deletion - it shouldn't take much for the pond-life to take their discussions elsewhere.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:05 am

didn't Valve delete the games of a publisher who threatened to sue Gabe Newell or threaten to kill him - I cannot remember. It worked then. I wonder why ? :D
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Previous

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group