Would you delete your Steam account

Steamz and moar.
Achtung Englander

Would you delete your Steam account

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:39 pm

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... or-charity

Brendan Sinclair, Snr Editor of gamesindustry.biz is deleting his Steam account on the basis that Valve has forgone all monitoring of its client and the Steam is turning into a shitshow of abuse. Personally I do not see it because I never seek it. I mean I do not go actively looking for neo Nazi groups or White supremacists. I just use Steam to play games, that is all. I agree it is loaded with a ton amount of shite, but in all honesty what is not loaded with shite these days. The banks treat us in contempt. The airlines think we are cattle and the utility companies think we owe them a living.

Everything is shite, so what is new.

This.

I will not be deleting my library. Fuck no, not after the massive amount of money I have ploughed into buying games. Just get a thicker coat of skin. Quitting sounds like an easy cop out.
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Jez

Re: Would you delete your Steam account

Postby Jez » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:34 pm

Wouldn't delete my account but having said that valve need to buck the fuck up and get that shit off there. If its hosting stuff that's clearly a step too far then they are feeding into the image that gaming is a "problem" amongst politicians and other muckity mucks

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:39 pm

Did you mean to post this: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... am-account

I don't believe him. What would deleting his account achieve, you don't get a refund. Valve couldn't moderate it's community even if it wanted to, 13,442,515 was today's peak, valve would need to hire tens of thousands of moderators to police the message boards and groups. He could have avoided it simply by not looking for things to be offended by, is he going to boycott Youtube next?
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:07 am

I'm at a bit of a loss here. I haven't watched the video but what's wrong with steam? It's just my games platform.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:54 am

There's bad people on it.

He clearly hasn't looked into Facebooks private groups which they proudly say they don't moderate or monitor but which are hives of the worst kind of shit from animal torture to paedos. He should delete his Facebook.

Also, I'm sure valve are quaking in their boots. One less library sapping bandwidth.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:58 am

Nah, I'm not going to delete my Steam account, I'm just going to wait for Theresa May to remove my free access to it. That'll fix everything.

Removing yourself from a large community does not fix that community. Even if so many people closed their Steam accounts that it forced Valve to actually take action over their concerns, all that'd happen is that the racists and bigots would find each other on other services that don't moderate userbases. The problem of Internet arseholes is not one you can fix on the Internet unless you fundamentally change the way the Internet works. The anonymity of users is how this shit breeds and goes unchallenged. It can be changed, but that needs to be done offline with education. It is happening, but it's going to take generations, there isn't a quick fix to this.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:09 am

If he's deleting his Steam account because there are racist hate groups hosted on there then he should probably think about not using the internet at all. Delete your browser, delete Whatsapp, delete most communication apps on your phone. Hell, he better be careful about sending letters to people, because last I heard Royal Mail weren't being very thorough on scanning and proof reading everybody's mail, so there's probably some hate speak going through that system too.

The nuclear option of just removing yourself is nonsense. A. He isn't important enough of an individual for anybody to care he's done it. B. Not everybody has the luxury of being able to delete something they've ploughed probably thousands of pounds into over the years. Flushing your money down the toilet like that is just pointless self harm.

As Raid says, education is the key, and we're a long way off the solution. The dude needs to just toughen up and get on with his life.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:13 am

well said. In life you will meet 3 lots of people

- genuinely likeable people you want to make friends 5%
- people you are just there 90%
- fucked up arseholes 5%

....and they are all on the internet

Deleting your Steam account because there are racists on it - you might as well delete yourself from everything, including telly.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:25 am

Virtual signaling tosspot is my response to it. There's going to be shit people no matter where you go offline/online. So why screw yourself out of you're own enjoyment because A/B/C likes something you do.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:25 am

I fail to see what possible difference this will make in the greater scheme of things does he not realise for everything ever there is always a much darker and often downright nasty polar opposite we would all rather believe doesn't even exist. Fact. Whatever he may believe he's been exposed to you can most certainly guarantee he's only been exposed to a mere pinhole of the kinds of rancid shit that daily and actively thrives around the web and beyond. What he thinks he will actually gain from this decision just fails to even really register as something that will have massively positive impact on his life when backed against the flow of shite that will carry on regardless with no fucks given. He will certainly have more free time that's for sure.

As Raid said simply removing yourself from something you feel has a negative impact doesn't sway the path of that negativity one bit and if anything remaining and then proportionally campaigning against it from within thus heightening the awareness factor is a much better course of action I feel. I mean do people even know who this guy is? I didn't until today.

Also people in being shit shocker I must now detach myself from everything that will show them! Fuck me. :lol:

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:34 am

what is amusing and is actually a more interesting story is that he seems to have difficulty deleting his Steam account because, by his own admission, Value are so understaffed there is no one he can communicate with. :lol:

once, many moons ago, I deleted myself off Facebook only for the fucker to come back from the dead like a zombie. Once you're in....you're in (for life !)

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:54 am

I should mention that while I think his action is pointless, he does raise a good point. Creating a social network without anything in the way of real oversight and moderation is downright irresponsible. While education is clearly part of the solution, the ability to discuss this sort of shit without any fear of consequence does contribute to the problem. In fact it probably counteracts the education, with each contributor potentially reinforcing the beliefs of other readers.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:16 am

I absolutely agree that Valve, GOG and the rest of them need to get their shit together on the moderation front, but with Steam being so insidiously tied to PC gaming these days, you'd more or less be giving up the hobby on the whole.
It's impossible to participate in the modern world without being in contact with some kind of shitty, unethical practice. Lines have to be drawn somewhere, and a good few hundred quid of software bought over fourteen years, most of which made by people who would have nothing to do with the actions of these idiots, is where I draw mine on the matter.

But, for real, something needs to be done about "gaming". No idea what, but the prevailing attitude of just letting things slide because, "eh, what can you do" does nothing other than allow it to continue to spread. And, you know, as crap as the world on the whole it, this is just a tiny part of it that could be changed for the better.

And c'mon, Lee. Really?
End of an Era

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:47 am

I could go and do a long winded post about it but instead just made it brief sentence straight to the point about it in my view. That's all Subway.

There's going to be shit people and there is no way you can do to stop that unless you go full on out authoritarian and lock everything down. And fuck that if it ever gets implemented.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:51 am

Implementing even a simple bot that censors hate speech would be one way of doing things on the cheap if Valve were to take any kind of action at all. Wouldn't change the people, but would at least keep the Steam platform a bit cleaner.

It's not just gaming though. The internet is chock full of people like that, and very few large companies do a great deal to actually moderate their communities. YouTube is bigger than Steam and you don't have to read too many comment sections to see some downright awful stuff.

Next

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group