Eurogamer Mad Max article

Steamz and moar.
Prey
Admin

Eurogamer Mad Max article

Postby Prey » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:12 pm

Surprised I missed this article over on EG but then I have not been visiting there much since the whole ad fiasco occurred. The article itself is titled 'Mad Max and the open world game as character study' and here's a tiny piece of it which entertains the notion that in some games we find ourselves so enveloped in the game world even one in a vastly barren open world but one that 100% fits in with the games premise that we not only become the character, we think as the character would think, we behave as the character would behave. It is an exercise in how we perceive the actual character would play out in the proceeding game world environment and our attempts at staying ever true to that character.

All open worlds could be character pieces, of course. But so few of them truly are. Arkham games? Those games get it: there's a plot, and there are mechanics and gadgets, but there's also that essential promise: in this game, you get to be Batman. Just Cause? That just about gets it too. You get to tie objects together, but you're also this glorious stereotype who gets to do good while having fun. Mad Max, though, Mad Max takes it to new heights. I'm not sure this game had a vast budget to play with. Its wilderness is rather empty and its set-pieces are pretty repetitive, but to get past that, to make the most of its double-A-ness - and isn't double-A always better that triple-A anyway? - it channels absolutely everything it has through the character, to the point that it is first intoxicating and then deeply, deeply endearing.

After a few hours of this, I found I was playing in character. I was being unnecessarily mean in fights. I was searching through each camp for every last bit of scrap. I was doing needless angry donuts out there in the irradiated dirt, because that's what Max would do: that's what a man who eats this much dog food and tops it off with maggots does, when his car is almost rebuilt and then are no men around to punch. He does donuts in the dirt.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... cter-study

Not only do I love the article but it's also fantastic to see so much love coming out for the game in the comments many of who agree that it's one of the best games of this generation and their favourite game of 2015.

It's the first open world game I'd played where the gameplay was utterly consistent with the narrative. Ie: I never actually believe that you can cause all that carnage in GTA without consequences -- To find locations in Mad Max you had to go up towers and scout them out yourself, they weren't just handed to you.

Max was barebones but the care that were put into the locations was palpable. It's got some of the best 'alien' style landscapes I've seen and was beautiful most of the time. The combat was basic, but even that, for an open world game was better than most. The driving was a lot of fun as well.

It's since been bettered by Zelda, but up until that point Mad Max was the most consistent and believable open world action game. A whole lot of love went into it, love that only seemed tempered by the publishers desire to fit it into a ubisoft style template.

Mad Max is a great game by the way, I thought it had just the right amount of content, didn't out stay it's welcome, but had some really satisfying mechanics. Ripping the wheels off a rivals car never gets old, and the hand-to-hand combat is genuinely brutal. Also, despite the wasteland setting there are some distinctly different environments to explore. There is not much story there, but that would be true of the movies too - making this in the spirit of the movies, rather than a direct tie-in works really well, in fact this I would say this is one of the best licenced character games I have ever played.

One of those few perfect games you play for days, and days, and days, because .. well you must! Sublime classic!

I'm just glad that other people out there just get it as I felt I did at the time. The very reason I ploughed 150 long hours into a game until I had extinguished every last drop of enjoyment I could out of it. I just hope the game wasn't perceived as a failure over at Avalanche Studios and even though no additional story DLC was ever released only cosmetic stuff even now two years later I still look back on those night I spent anticipating that sand storm carefully choosing my preferred point of shelter right before I head out right into the midst of all that crazy to chasing down rolling boxes of scrap with my trusty harpoon.

Lee

Re: Eurogamer Mad Max article

Postby Lee » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:45 pm

Driving in the Sandstorms, enough said isn't it :)

Would love a sequel to it as well.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:13 pm

I remember playing through this 2 years ago. I agree with a lot of points in that article, it really was an incredibly immersive and solid open world game. I couldn't really fault it; even the story elements were well done.

It's hard to think how they could have made the game better. If I recall, at the time I suggested it would have been nice to have a few bigger highways with missions to defend/assault big rigs on long journeys (like in Mad Max 2), but that's nitpicking a little bit.

It's just so tidily put-together.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:52 pm

Get the urge to replay it every so often... but there are so many new games I've not had time yet to play :(
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Haven't bought this yet personally. Mostly for open world jaded reasons in general. Having said that I'm replaying shadow of mordor at the moment as I intend getting the new one in October.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:26 pm

It's something you should give a whirl Jez, think you would love it. Nothing like bombing around in your vehicle ramming the fuckers out of the way or shooting them with the shotgun from the side windows. Melee combat is a bit meh as always in these but the rest of the game and characters make up for it :)

@Katarn Totally agree some boarding a fuel truck/rigs and loads more highways would have done a lot of good to it
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:17 pm

Jez wrote:Haven't bought this yet personally. Mostly for open world jaded reasons in general. Having said that I'm replaying shadow of mordor at the moment as I intend getting the new one in October.

The very reason I wanted to link to this article was due to folk like you Jez man who either overlooked it or didn't get round to it just yet. For a game that's now dropped below the £4 mark it's one you will get so much play time out of when and if you do finally get to giving it a shot. Even with the dreaded open world fatigue that can set in Mad Max is just so unlike any other open world game out there it genuinely holds up so well simply because of just how familiar yet also fresh it feels.

katarn wrote:I remember playing through this 2 years ago. I agree with a lot of points in that article, it really was an incredibly immersive and solid open world game. I couldn't really fault it; even the story elements were well done.

It's hard to think how they could have made the game better. If I recall, at the time I suggested it would have been nice to have a few bigger highways with missions to defend/assault big rigs on long journeys (like in Mad Max 2), but that's nitpicking a little bit.

It's just so tidily put-together.

Aye. Try as I might I never had a single issue with the game as there was quite literally nothing I didn't like which is so very rare and on top of this the performance optimisation on the game was so bloody good it pretty much defied belief and I was only on a 2GB card back when it first released. After the shit show that was Just Cause 3 I'm hoping that the main Avalanche team have future plans for the Max series that could well involve all the things mentioned above included Big Rigs and perhaps a more diverse open world to explore.

Sly Boots wrote:Get the urge to replay it every so often... but there are so many new games I've not had time yet to play :(

I've now played it through to completion three times and it's always those opening hours that can feel like a bit of a trudge to get through but once you do you just kind of click with the game once more and it all snowballs from there into the pits of playing practically every single day without fail kinda deal.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:00 pm

*Bump*

Felt like sharing this 2017 mini-review I came across...

Curious watching videos such as this some two years after the game first released but it's great to hear such thoughts that match my own and as to why I hold Mad Max in such high regard and that others are also of the firm opinion that it is an underrated gem that everyone should get round to playing through at some point or other.

My question is did you ever buy it Jez?

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:45 pm

I didn't mate. Not with busy work and lots of other stuff I'd bought with more on the near horizon I'm afraid.

My main issue is time at the moment. It's very limited indeed. Off to Africa for 6 months early next year to boot so the training side is taking chunks of weeks away from home.

I will get it at some point :)

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:42 pm

Funnily enough got sucked back into this the other day. Been happily motoring around the wasteland taking down camps and convoys, while gradually turning Max and the wreck of a car you start with into post-apocalyptic powerhouses.

Have now cleared the first two of the three main regions, just passed through the Jaws to enter the second portion of the map. It's a really nice game to just kill some time with and blow off some steam.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:25 pm

Exactly why the game becomes such a humongous time sink for me every time I replay it. In between the moments that revolve around car brawls, dismantling enemy forts and getting rage streaks on enemies the game just pulls you in as a pure explorer and it makes discovering something that is not only quite relaxing I find as you take in the environments, vistas, sunrises and sunsets. All the while you are keeping that somewhere you spotted earlier in mind to race back toward for that inevitable storm but no matter what you do it's also mostly always rewarding due to the limited nature of Max's own inventory. That extra bit of gas, water, scrap or even just finding a single shotgun shell when you only have one in the chamber. It all amounts to something that at some point will be paramount in their own use when used at just the right time or in the right amount. You know everything you need is out there it's actually getting at it that's very often the problem but a fun problem all the same.

It's a constant balancing act that for me pushes the game into a much more survival based orientated gaming experience that few other open world games ever touch upon. Of course then there's having to increase Max's own stats to also increases the vehicles Max uses as the two become more and more lovingly intertwined during game sessions one relying as much on the other to make steady progression through the world. Just as that recent PC GAMER article touched upon I find this to be one of the few games in which when I play I'm completely of the mind set of the character I'm intended to be and that's often such a rare occurrence in games today and it's also another reason why I champion the game so much because there's nothing quite like it that when you come off you don't just feel as though you had fun or made progress - you all out survived and made progress.

Relaxing while still deadly I should really say as captivating as the surroundings often are you are always very much on your toes as enemy convoys continuously roam and patrol cars suddenly happen upon you and you are caught off guard still on foot meaning you have to roll to avoid being hit while hoping you can use whatever ammo you have to take out the gas tank on the rear. Even if you succeed just picking up the scrap laid out on the road before you you still have to keep on ear to the ground as even more could race up to you horns honking in a heartbeat with them wanting to put your face into their grills. Also according to Steam Spy there were 2,876 concurrent Mad Max players yesterday on Steam. 4,000 two days before that.

Of course I don't need to tell you any of this Sly as you've experienced it all first hand. I just enjoy rabbiting on about the game too much. :lol: :oops:

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group