Take 2 Take Down Open IV Mod

Steamz and moar.
Prey
Admin

Take 2 Take Down Open IV Mod

Postby Prey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:31 pm

And ol' Jim Sterling is not too happy about it. Before you watch however here's a little history on the mod itself...

The OpenIV development team has been producing tools to make modding of Grand Theft Auto games easier for a decade, originally for GTA IV and now for GTA V. The group claims to adhere to a code of conduct which includes: 'Strictly following of Civil Code of Russia (only reverse engineering for interoperability); only clean-room reverse engineering; no distribution of original data and code; and absolutely no messing with Online…' Its eponymous tool allows users to quickly load various mods into the game, but only for offline use and never during multiplayer - but that, the group claims, isn't good enough for Take-Two Interactive.

'On June 5th, 2017, we had received an official Cease-and-Desist letter,' the group explains in its announcement. 'It clearly says that with OpenIV we "allow third parties to defeat security features of its software and modify that software in violation Take-Two’s rights." Yes, this letter is illiterate both technically and grammatically (really, they don’t even bothered with proof-reading the text). Yes, we can go to court and yet again prove that modding is fair use and our actions are legal.Yes, we could. But we decided not to.

Original Source: https://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/20 ... v-downed/1

And now over to Jim...

Take 2. Taking the Biscuit in 2017.

Edwin
the cunt

Re: Take 2 Take Down Open IV Mod

Postby Edwin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:56 pm

I'm suspicious that a bunch of Russians suddenly care about cease and desists.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:59 pm

http://www.pcgamer.com/heres-rockstars- ... -pcgamertw

Rockstar response

"Take-Two's actions were not specifically targeting single player mods. Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody. We are working to figure out how we can continue to support the creative community without negatively impacting our players."
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:43 am

Quietman wrote:http://www.pcgamer.com/heres-rockstars-statement-about-take-two-shutting-down-gtas-openiv-modding-tool/?utm_content=buffer227bc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

Rockstar response

"Take-Two's actions were not specifically targeting single player mods. Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody. We are working to figure out how we can continue to support the creative community without negatively impacting our players."
I feel like this might be relevant as well:

The nature of the take-down notice compared to the public statement is bullshit. Considering Strauss Zelnick doesn't want to give any fun away for free, I would not be surprised if "continue to support the creative community" means cut down, paid modding comes to GTAV.

Anti-consumer bullshit and barefaced corporate contempt.
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:51 pm

His voice is like nails down a blackboard...
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:08 pm

Better than some accents I've heard on youtube.

Oh, and you'll like listening to this:
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:07 pm

I think aside from his kinda nasal drone, my real irritation comes from his fairly banal use of profanity, which if taken from the perspective of Take Two would completely undermine the (completely reasonable) point he is intending to make. Imagine the scene if you will:

Rockstar, attempting to cause Take Two to change course: "So your cease and desist letters are not paining any of us in a good light"

Take Two exec: "Oh, how so?"

R*: "Well take Jim Sterling as an example, he reckons that you have, ahem, well, thrown your big lawyer dick around and drenched everyone nearby in the flipped off cock-sweat..."

T2: "Sorry, I didn't catch that"

R*: "Oh, sorry, I said he reckons that you have, ah, thrown your big lawyer dick around and drenched everyone nearby in the flipped off cock-sweat..."

T2: "No, sorry, you lost me again at the end there"

R*: "He said that you have he reckons that you have thrown your big lawyer dick around and drenched everyone nearby in the flipped off cock-sweat"

T2: "Really? Who even talks like that? I think we can stop discussing that little critique right there"

R*: "But he does make some really good points over the next 14 minutes"

T2: "Does that 14 minutes also continue to be delivered in the same needlessly profane manner?"

R*: "Well, pretty much, yeah"

T2: "Then I could care less what he has to say"

Honestly, to take on corporates, you have to do so in a way that they will listen to. Sterling has clearly spent some time crafting his little diatribe, one assumes to make pre-teens giggle at the naughty words, while completely robbing it of any chance of being taken seriously in so doing.

Pity really.

Oh, and that fucking lectern really does him no favours. Then again, I have always said I just don't get vloggers at all so what the hell do I know!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group